Thread: cable-operated exhaust cutouts?

boostaholic

cable-operated exhaust cutouts?

Seen a few of these around, I'd much prefer them over electric and fully manual (get-under-the-car-and-unscrew-a-few-wingnuts) cutouts because electric ones are only supposed to be opened and closed at idle, and I'd rather pull a cable or move a lever rather than shut the car off, let it cool, get underneath and screw with some fasteners.

The only ones I see are from Mr. Gasket, are 2", and are cast iron. I don't see how it would be possible to fasten this to a steel exhaust system. Can you weld cast iron to steel? Would you use a silicone coupler?

Thanks all.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Hybrid booster

Re: cable-operated exhaust cutouts?

Brazing or maybe high nickel rod in an arc welder could work but it'd be a PITA for sure. *I'm an amateur welder tho...*

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Definitely not use a coupler... me thinks too much heat. The MRG-5424 is the only one I'm aware of. The Quick Time or even the Race Ready electric ones are supposed to be the best ones out there.

turbo addict

I bought a Mr Gasket cast iron cut out through JC Whitney MANY years ago (in the 80s) and it was installed on Matchbox....it was a blast to open it up next to a hopped up car (when MB ran 13s and Vettes ran 16s!)...in a few weeks the flap in it blew out so I was left with a open cut out. The muffler shop welded it in place with no problems. I had them take it out and replace it with a capable dump.

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
    05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
    05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
    96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
    84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders