Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it worth?

Hybrid booster

What is it worth?

Any idea what a brand new, never sold Shelby would be worth today?

There is a dealer in South Dakota that has THREE cars with less than 50 miles on them. I just spoke to the guy. He said he drove them off the trailer and stashed them. Has only driven them around for their "necessary excercise."

1987 CSX
    1987 Lancer
    1989 CSX

Any ideas?

turbo addict

Re: What is it worth?

I think ive seen these online forsale on and off over the years. if its the same guy he wants like 20k each
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

1 million dollars!!!!!(in a really bad doctor evil voice)
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

if you got one of those cars you could never drive it........
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

turbo addict

didn't he sell the 89 CSX?
    the owner is on here

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

It is very possible that the car dealer thinks the cars are worth far more than what most of us think the cars are worth, and that is the reason he still has them. But some day he will find a buyer for each one of them at the price he is asking, and who was right about the value then?

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

I feel a new CSX is worth 20k easy.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    It is very possible that the car dealer thinks the cars are worth far more than what most of us think the cars are worth, and that is the reason he still has them. But some day he will find a buyer for each one of them at the price he is asking, and who was right about the value then?

Barry
    Well said Barry. However he also may be buried with his Shelby's too. Only time will tell. In this economy, nothing is a sure thing. FWIW, there are a couple ultra low mileage 16V TC's out there that periodically come up for sale. Most are asking half of original sticker, and not selling... Tom Gesswein doesn't show all his cards to everyone. I have seen him advertise a no mileage IROC RT and also know he has or had a ultra low mileage GLHS Omni (under 100 miles). You have to work on him for a while before he will acknowledge it though. No warranty on any of those cars either, even though they have never been sold.

Trail Dodge in MN had a new 89 big tire / Recaro 89 CSX for years. Same deal, wanted huge markup on it. Couldn't sell it. I asked the owner what he needed to have for the car. Told me he would sell it for $11.5K back in the day. Sat on lot for at least 3+ years, maybe 4. He originally wanted 20k+.

What a lousy initial investment. When you factor in the inflation rate of all the money Gesswin's tied up for the last 20-25 years. So far his speculation hasn't been too good. Glad I'm not taking financial advice from him.
    Todd

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If people had the money, they'd be worth 20K but the loyalists, IE us, are broke,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

If you think about it, what does 20 grand get you for a new car? Drive a new car off the lot, what's it worth then? 2 years later? For the $$$$ I'd rather have a new 20 year old car than some generic new car.
    later Dick Westerhof

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    If you think about it, what does 20 grand get you for a new car? Drive a new car off the lot, what's it worth then? 2 years later? For the $$$$ I'd rather have a new 20 year old car than some generic new car.
    Exactly, and a car that most people can fix in their back yards, unless like these new cars, ack!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

".......he has or had a ultra low mileage GLHS Omni (under 100 miles). ........."

get out. Todd any way to contact this guy regarding that car?

we've seen these cars for sale over the years, i presume these are the same ones. 20K is steep, but not totally nuts. Nuts might be 40k.

i dare say we have CSX's on this board that might be very close in overall condition as these 50 mile queens (ie: Troys #282, Jonny's #141), with the only big difference being the odometer readings. paying double or more for a car just to get a low odometer reading is a tuff sell.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

He has an 87 CSX!?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    ".......he has or had a ultra low mileage GLHS Omni (under 100 miles). ........."

get out. Todd any way to contact this guy regarding that car?
    Oh I recall him trying to sell an 86 S for about $20K years ago (over 10 years) . IIRC that was reported on the SDML back then. Every couple years or so I've wondered about that car and if he ever sold it.

I think I've heard of him advertising the Shelby Lancer for sale a number of times over the years.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Hybrid booster

I'm can ASSURE you, he wants more then $20k for the new GLHS. Jim, along with many other people, view the 86 GLHS as the most collectable of all the Shelby cars. He has several 86 GLHS's, I think like 5-6.

I spoke with him several times before I bought my 16k mile car a couple years ago. I told him I was looking for a low mile original 86 GLHS, and he did kind of blow me off a couple times. I had to stay on him, call him back and say "Hey, I never heard back from you. Where are we at on these..." When I asked about the multiple cars, I said "I'd like to know what my options are. How many do you have? What is the mileage/condition? What are you asking?" He kept telling me, "How much money do you have? You tell me what you're looking to spend, and I'll tell you if I have anything in your price range." After about 2-3 weeks of talking back and forth, we had settled on a car. It was a very high numbered car, in the 490's if I remember correctly. It was all stock other then a 2.5" exhaust, and had like 13k miles on it. He wanted $15k and was 100% FIRM on the price. I did get to see pictures of the car, and it was not as nice as the one I bought, and I paid less money. Like Todd said, he has more then he tells you about.

This was back in the fall of 07. If I remember correctly, he had one with under 100 miles, one with 4-5k miles, one with 9k miles, the one I was thinking about with 13k miles, one with like 41k miles, and one with 75k miles. I didn't get prices on all of them, but he wanted $15k for the 13k mle car and $9999 for the 75k mile car.

Hybrid booster

LOL, looks like the prices have gone up a few grand in the last two years. He's now asking $17950 for the car I looked at a couple years ago...

http://www.gessweinmotors.com/show.aspx?vid=605709

40 mile 89 CSX, $21k. Yes, we all know that someone here bought a new 89 CSX from him recently, and here's one listed for sale. I would not doubt that he had/has multiple. You can see a green Iroc R/T in the background, and what looks to be a red Shelby Z in the garage.

http://www.gessweinmotors.com/show.aspx?vid=605711

40 mile Shelby Lancer, $21k.

http://www.gessweinmotors.com/show.aspx?vid=605713

Mark thanx for the run down on the seller, sounds like a true die-hard fan of these cars, good for him for sticking to his guns. Not sure I agree with his valuations but what the hey cant blame a guy for holding onto his collection. The sheer number of cars he owns is impressive, forget about his salesmanship.

i'd say your 86S was well bought, it's definately one of the nicest i've seen.

any pix or links to that 100 mile 86S?

JT: i was refering to Troy's and Jonny's 89 CSX's which are both extremely original and in mint condition, but yes Jonny also owns an 87 CSX, also #141, which is undergoing a full resto right now.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    I completely agree with you and Simon but... add I'd bet the bank that none of them are hardly new cars anymore. You know that they where not stored correctly for long term storage. I'd wager he did nothing to prepare them. With today's fuel you can bet they all have injector issues, maybe rust in fuel tanks, old fuel, old coolant that's been eating away at everything for 20+ years, flat spotted and dry rotted tires I wouldn't want to drive on. R-12 that's potentially MIA, original battery long gone, brake fluid absorbing moisture for 20 years, calipers sticking, lead wheel weights chewing on alloy wheels, If your lucky, the only clearcoat coming off is on wheels and not topcoat. The list goes on and on.
    Don't get me wrong still neat stuff, but as you know cars that are not driven deteriorate much more than some people realize. Buy a new old car for 20-30K and then stick more money into it so it actually runs, drives, and stops like a new car.
    Todd

Hybrid booster

I asked him about the green IROC in the picture. He said it was sold.
    He did tell me he has a '91 Shelby Z for sale as well.

I pushed him a bit on the driveability of these cars after sitting for so long. That's when he told me that he regularly takes them out for their "necessary excercise". When I asked him if the price on the '89 CSX was firm, he asked what I thought it was worth. He said he knows these cars are valueable.
    So I told him I would talk to some "friends" that are more familiar with the Shelby cars than I am.

And you guys aren't helping!!!

You're all making valid points though. $21k for a Shelby, brand new, numbered car. No warranty but if something breaks I could probably fix it myself (or have Brian Slowe fix it... ). If he hasn't budged after all these years, why would he now?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    1 million dollars!!!!!(in a really bad doctor evil voice)
    I hope he's not a member of this forum...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast