Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel core plugs

turbo addict

Steel core plugs

I have the steel core plugs in the head of an RT i just bought, i have heard some people say to just leave them since they have lasted this long without problems and changing them can cause more issues.

Is this true? Or would you swap them for aluminum ones no matter what?

boostaholic

Re: Steel core plugs

People usually just leave them be..but with my white r/t i changed them to the aluminum ones and drove that thing almost everyday without any problems..you just want to be sure not to tighten them too much

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    I have the steel core plugs in the head of an RT i just bought, i have heard some people say to just leave them since they have lasted this long without problems and changing them can cause more issues.

Is this true? Or would you swap them for aluminum ones no matter what?
    i heard the same thing. The reasoning being, if it's not cracked and the plugs aren't leaking, why bother?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

If it aint broke....
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

boostaholic

Only problem is with the steel plugs is if they get rusty over time the rust will cause them to expand and eventually crack the head. I change everyone to aluminum.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Only problem is with the steel plugs is if they get rusty over time the rust will cause them to expand and eventually crack the head. I change everyone to aluminum.
    Yea but, what do you know...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I had my head fully reworked, port polish, 5 angle yadda yadda. My cylinder head guy that does A LOT of welding wasn't comfortable with welding the plugs shut so we left the steelies in place. I'll be watching for the rust thing though Jackson, first I've heard about it...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

The head on my R/T went 90k with no cracking. I pulled it and had it rebuild at the machine shop and it cracked about 5k after it was reinstalled. I wouldn't mess with them if it hasn't cracked already. I have always believed that the torque they were installed makes a big difference. If you can see the top couple threads on the plugs I would leave them. If they are torqued WAY down into the head, then I might consider changing them. Either way the T3 is pretty much a ticking time bomb in most cases unless they are maintained to jacksons standards.

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

The '91 T-III I am tearing down to rebuild right now has it's original steel plugs still in. 125,000 miles and no issues... but I do worry "when" it may happen. I didn't count the threads, but I noticed there were a couple showing. BTW: the NPT tapped depth dictates how much the plug engages.... but I guess all it takes is one yahoo to wind those plugs in pretty far, too.

Jackson.... how do you get the steel plugs out? Heat the surrounding area? If you install new aluminum plugs, do you weld them after a light torqueing?

Decisions.....

Another thing: Back when I wasn't paying attention to the T-III cars (I'm still an 8v lover) I remember Cliff Ramsdell suggesting a certain mod he does by welding up a passage shut on the deck of the head. Is this something you all do with your T-IIIs?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoe View Post
    Yea but, what do you know...
    nada!

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    first I've heard about it...
    Thats cause Jackson is talking ---- again.

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    I remember Cliff Ramsdell suggesting a certain mod he does by welding up a passage shut on the deck of the head. Is this something you all do with your T-IIIs?
    Yes.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

My logic has always been that if it hasn't cracked yet, it's probably not going to.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

What about heads that have been already been welded? Seems to me it probably wouldn't ever crack again with the whole plug area welded over like many I have seen. In my eyes a head that has already been cracked and welded is even better than an uncracked head. Thoughts?

boostaholic

The '91 T-III I am tearing down to rebuild right now has it's original steel plugs still in. 125,000 miles and no issues... but I do worry "when" it may happen. I didn't count the threads, but I noticed there were a couple showing. BTW: the NPT tapped depth dictates how much the plug engages.... but I guess all it takes is one yahoo to wind those plugs in pretty far, too.

Jackson.... how do you get the steel plugs out? Heat the surrounding area? If you install new aluminum plugs, do you weld them after a light torqueing?

Decisions.....

Another thing: Back when I wasn't paying attention to the T-III cars (I'm still an 8v lover) I remember Cliff Ramsdell suggesting a certain mod he does by welding up a passage shut on the deck of the head. Is this something you all do with your T-IIIs?
    Ok if its a factory casting the core plugs are M26x1.5 with a slight taper to them. The holes in the head are straight thread. I have that size tap that I chase the threads before installing aluminum plugs everytime. I torque them to 15ft/lbs when I install the aluminums.

TO get the old one out I usually do break them loose while the engine is still in the car cause they are usually super tight. Some PB Blaster and a torch is usually required. You need a 12mm hex to do that.....

If I am going thru a head that needs the center valley area welded(usually Dunn heads do) I just cut off a piece of 1" aluminum round and set it in the hole and weld it in place. There is a trick to welding these heads that a welder buddy of mine has gotten really good at. We have found that on the Dunn heads you should weld the plug up if its cracked by it. If not cracked just install new aluminum plug after chasing threads with permatex.

As for the deck oil hole if you are running a Mopar HG I would have it welded up and re-surfaced FOR SURE! This was and still is a big problem with TIII HGs leaking. This fixes it or has at least on everyone I have done. If running a Cometic its not as important but I do everyone I run myself or prep for anyone else.

Just for anyones FYI the Dunn re-casts are 3/4NPT and not 26mm and you need to run a 3/4NPS tap through the head to clean them. I had Cindy make a run of Dunn head plugs so if anyone needs them she has them in stock......

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo224 View Post
    . I have always believed that the torque they were installed makes a big difference. If you can see the top couple threads on the plugs I would leave them. If they are torqued WAY down into the head, then I might consider changing them. Either way the T3 is pretty much a ticking time bomb in most cases unless they are maintained to jacksons standards.
    First off I dont buy the whole threads showing thing on the original castings. Everyone I have seen has been in about the same spot and I have seen lots of them lol. The Dunn heads on the other hand usually have the center plug lower than the rest and thats the one that cracks. I have seen brand new in the Mopar box Dunn heads that are cracked! Im pretty sure they over-tightened the center one from the factory and using a taper pipe thread thats aluminum on aluminum and over-tightening is like instant failure. Ticking time bombs and my standards huh? Anybody can put one together like me its not rocket science lol....

I had my head fully reworked, port polish, 5 angle yadda yadda. My cylinder head guy that does A LOT of welding wasn't comfortable with welding the plugs shut so we left the steelies in place. I'll be watching for the rust thing though Jackson, first I've heard about it...
    If you think about the rust thing it makes total sense cause what happens when steel oxidizes and rusts? It EXPANDS and has nowhere to go and pop goes the crack in the head. I have 3 originals that came from northern cars with rusty plugs and they were cracked. I have 3 others that were from Southern cars with no rust on them and no cracks. It makes sense to me......

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    What about heads that have been already been welded? Seems to me it probably wouldn't ever crack again with the whole plug area welded over like many I have seen. In my eyes a head that has already been cracked and welded is even better than an uncracked head. Thoughts?
    I would say that one that has been welded CORRECTLY is better than one that has not been cracked or welded. Especially with the plugs welded in place.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Either way the T3 is pretty much a ticking time bomb in most cases.
    I disagree,

I never welded my 2 heads or the TIII I just did, no leaks using a Cometic and 005 gasket's,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Turbo224's Avatar

This is the oil passage that is being refered to. I had LW close mine up when they welded the crack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head 7.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	21147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Head 4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	21148  

~Tyler Larsen~Salt Lake City~
    -92 Daytona R/T (T3/T4 Hybrid, Quaife, etc...)
    -86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Woody (winter beast)
    -01 Audi TT Quattro (daily driver)
    -71 Plymouth Cuda 440-6pk tribute

Check out my Homepage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

This is the oil passage that is being refered to. I had LW close mine up when they welded the crack.
    If anyone is going to have the galley plug in the deck welded, BE SUPER DUPER DOUBLE FOR SURE TOTALLY 100% CAREFUL that this doesn't happen. It added a really big headache to my build

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=TIII+welding

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

If anyone is going to have the galley plug in the deck welded, BE SUPER DUPER DOUBLE FOR SURE TOTALLY 100% CAREFUL that this doesn't happen. It added a really big headache to my build
    I still feel bad about this happening to you Alan.

So anyone else please note only have it welded in about 1/4" or so. Going much deeper will block the oil hole to the exhaust rocker shaft. I have had at least 10 welded by my guy with no problems but he only welds the very surface and does not go very deep with the weld.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I have a few heads here that are rebuilt and ready to run, but they don't have this welding modification you guys speak of. To tell you the truth I've never really looked into it myself so I will have to review that thread. Is it too late to have it done at this point? Seems like the whole head would have to be disassembled again and resurfaced too. I really don't feel like doing all that again but..

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I have a few heads here that are rebuilt and ready to run, but they don't have this welding modification you guys speak of. To tell you the truth I've never really looked into it myself so I will have to review that thread. Is it too late to have it done at this point? Seems like the whole head would have to be disassembled again and resurfaced too. I really don't feel like doing all that again but..
    If you dont want to weld it Jeremy just fill it with some high temp two part epoxy and carefully file it flat with the deck after its dry. Thats what we did with a few cars with new heads we put on. Worked so far with the stock composite gasket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast