Thread: camber adjustment help

turbo addict

camber adjustment help

I am trying to get the camber half way straight on my new project. I bought a 87 horizon and I noticed that the camber adjustment bolt on the passenger side is turned all the way out for maximum camber. The tie rod adjustment is jacked up too with one side much shorter (passenger side as well) than the other. With it set this way the best it gets is +.5*. The other side looks to be ok with the bolt over on the adjusting tab and around 0*. Can you give me some idea of what I need to be looking for here? It was set this way when I bought the car so I'm not sure what the issue is here. Is it possible the K-frame needs to be moved over? Thanks.

turbo addict

Re: camber adjustment help

You should be able to get plenty of camber adjustment with the eccentric bolts you describe without touching the k-frame.

I'm having a hard time understanding if you're guessing on the alignment settings or you have access to an alignment machine. Either way, start with the lobe facing UP and adjust from there when it's on the machine.

turbo addict

I do my own alignments with a fastrax gauge in my shop. Something is wrong here, when I look at the tie rods you can see that one side is much shorter than the other. The short tie rod coincides with the side that I can't get enough camber adjustment. I took some measurements and it looks like the left wheel is further outboard than the right one. I'm going to look at the car again today and see if it has been hit or something like that. I didn't notice anything before in the front when I looked it over but it is possible I missed something. If everything is moved over to the driver's side it would cause the problem I am seeing since it would pull the passenger wheel in at the bottom causing excessive positive camber. The funky tie rod adjustments seem to confirm that it's over to the driver side. I'll post back with what I find. Thanks.

turbo addict

K-frame is bent on passenger side. I found the previous "repair" on the front a-arm pivot. The whole member on that side is bent up. If anyone has a spare I need one. I checked the local pick-a-part and there are none in the yard.

turbo addict

I wonder if you can swap up to a cast arm k-frame from a shadow?

turbo addict

you might want to check the k frame MOUNT where it connects to the chassis, all three of my glht's had bent chassis k frame mounts