Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How NOT to ship a core...

How NOT to ship a core...

It's time to educate some people on how NOT to ship manifold cores. I'm very tired of people sending me manifolds to port with packing peanuts and/or insufficient boxes for handling a heavy awkward shaped item like an exhaust manifold which can poke through a thin box easily.

First I'd like to say, I'm blotting out the name on the box to keep this anonymous. To embarass a specific person would not be right, as this is not even close to the first time this has happened in fact I've had worse.

So, on with the pics.

First thing is first, you need a sturdy box. USPS provides flat rate boxes for free, get a few of them, cut one up and line the inside so that the box is double thick. A super thin shoe box is not a good idea-

Now, on to the part that grieves me most. Packing peanuts. These things get CRAMMED into the manifold DEEP. Compressed air does NOT blow them out, I have to physically poke something in there to get them all out, this process adds about 20 minutes typically and does not make me very happy.

So, PLEASE stop sending me core manifolds with packing peanuts. I really prefer bubble wrap, if you don't have that use newspaper. If you must use packing peanuts, please wrap the manifold in saran wrap or something so the peanuts do not clog up the manifold.

I will update this thread with pics of how to properly ship a manifold once I get this one all ported up.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Re: How NOT to ship a core...

Do you still need cores?

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    Do you still need cores?
    I could ship you some peanuts wrapped in peanuts for the peanuts protection if you need to ship some manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    Do you still need cores?
    Nope, Chris at TU supplied me with a bunch. Thanks though!

turbo addict

That's nothing.

Check this out.

turbo addict

^LOL wow just wow.

I like to test my packages my beating the ---- out of them on the way to the post office.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

"Now, on to the part that grieves me most. Packing peanuts. These things get CRAMMED into the manifold DEEP. Compressed air does NOT blow them out, I have to physically poke something in there to get them all out, this process adds about 20 minutes typically and does not make me very happy."

Seriously........... If it takes you 20 minutes to get packing peanuts out of a manifold, how long does it take you to port it?????????

And no this wasnt something I sent you, but this thread seems to be a little bit on the stupid side, my 2 cents.

Hybrid booster

I work in shipping/receiving and you wouldn't believe some of the packages we get from other companies. Sometimes they don't use any packing at all. Some people are just clueless to the fact that the box you're sending has to travel many miles and gets handled many times before it reaches its destination. And have you ever seen inside a fully loaded UPS truck? That can be ugly!
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    I like to test my packages my beating the ---- out of them on the way to the post office.

Um.... dude..... sounds like a personal problem
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    I work in shipping/receiving and you wouldn't believe some of the packages we get from other companies. Sometimes they don't use any packing at all.
    I can believe it, in fact, i've seen it.

boostaholic

I shipped an SBEC in a shoebox before

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Um.... dude..... sounds like a personal problem
    while Ill never rule anything out, if you cant treat your package like a football its not going to make it past you.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

This is NOTHING guys!

Eagle ships ALL of their cranks to us in a shittay box with no reinfocement or padding. Just a loose crankshaft and a single layer cardboard box. Often time, you'll see the counterweights poking holes through the box.

Eagle is cheap.... their stickers look like something a 5th grader designed, the cranks come with no keys in the snout, and horrible packaging plus poor chinese quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

good post Matt, packing peanuts should be OUTLAWED!
    I would like to add that if shipping something funny shaped and heavy (may not apply to a manifold per se) that pool noodles are cheap and you can pick them up at your local bargain stores. Ollies, five below, big lots, etc.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    This is NOTHING guys!

Eagle ships ALL of their cranks to us in a shittay box with no reinfocement or padding. Just a loose crankshaft and a single layer cardboard box. Often time, you'll see the counterweights poking holes through the box.

Eagle is cheap.... their stickers look like something a 5th grader designed, the cranks come with no keys in the snout, and horrible packaging plus poor chinese quality.
    Shouldn't keep buying from them or tell them you'll no longer do business with them if they can't pack.

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    Seriously........... If it takes you 20 minutes to get packing peanuts out of a manifold, how long does it take you to port it?????????

And no this wasnt something I sent you, but this thread seems to be a little bit on the stupid side, my 2 cents.
    Hmm, so apparently you've never had a manifold sent to you with packing peanuts? Or are other people just on the unhappy receiving end like me because you are a lazy ignorant -------?

Tell you what, I'll ship you a 1 piece intake with packing peanuts and you can tell me how long in takes you to get them all out. 20 minutes is an average, it takes ~10 minutes for an exhuast manifold but 30 minutes for a 1 piece intake. And if you think that packing peanuts in a 1 piece is no big deal, than you've OBVIOUSLY never cut one up to know what the inside of a 1 piece intake looks like.

An exhaust manifold takes about 2 hours to port. I don't use a dremel with a grind stone that takes out .02 ounces of metal like you probably do and think it's gonna give you 10 HP. About 4-5 ounces of metal is relieved from the manifold when I get done with it You can't fit the shavings in just one hand

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    I shipped an SBEC in a shoebox before
    Thats not a 10 pound piece of metal with sharp things poking out everywhere, it was probably no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    good post Matt, packing peanuts should be OUTLAWED!
    I would like to add that if shipping something funny shaped and heavy (may not apply to a manifold per se) that pool noodles are cheap and you can pick them up at your local bargain stores. Ollies, five below, big lots, etc.
    Thanks, atleast some people don't think this post is worthless LOL. Pool noodles huh, never thought of that but it's a great idea! I'll keep that in mind, but honestly I can walk up 2 blocks for 75 cents and get a local newspaper and have enough packing material for a manifold.

Like I said I'll be updating this thread on how to ship a manifold properly with pics.
    Last edited by moparzrule; 03-12-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    That's nothing.

Check this out.
    Ouch. Like I said I've had worse, I'm just fed up with it at this point. I have also had a head sent to me with packing peanuts, it was damaged beyond repair because the surface had large gouges and one of the cam caps was even busted off and broken

My wife had brought the box in on the couch, when I got home from work I saw it, and just looking at it I said to my wife that if it had packing peanuts I'm F-ing sending it back LOL. Sure enough Although I REALLY do feel like sending it back, I'm too nice of a guy to do that

So I'm just starting this thread in an attempt to stop this madness!

turbo addict

Yup, packing peanuts are the devil and usually the cause of people being to lazy to actually pack something. UPS or Fedex will open the pacakge up and fill it to displace the open area so the box doesn't crush in. Air foam is the best choice for shipping things if you can get it. You can wrap and item several times in it and its good to go, then fit it in the smallest box it will fit it.

boostaholic

You should be so lucky.
    Some old timers might remember Danny Fazzina from Toronto,
    worked at a race shop and used to do porting.
    I bought a ported exhaust manifold from him, he sent it in a padded
    envelope from the post office.
    Took him 6 months to get it to me.
    He's most famous for starting a group buy for JE pistons, collecting the money
    and not purchasing the pistons.
    I don't remember if everyone got their money back from him.

I bought a set of +40 injectors off a member here along with a couple other things. There was no packing in the box when it arrived it had holes in it and there were only 3 injectors left in the box The guy I bought it from pretty much said tough luck for you and wouldn't do anything about it.
    By the time I bought a single +40 to complete the set I might as well have just bought a complete new set in the first place.
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast