Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowered The Car, Not Quite As Low As I'd Like

Lowered The Car, Not Quite As Low As I'd Like

So, I finally got my ar back on the ground after six months. For reference it's a 1989 LeBaron GTC T2. Everything on the suspension has been replaced. It has poly bushings all the way around, Konis, the Eibach Pro Kit, and new spring isolators in the rear, and everything for the strut is new.

The good news is there is no --- sag. However, the car could use another inch drop. I do not want to cut the springs, I know it's a common approach but I don't like the idea of cutting springs.

Beyond that, what options do I have? Are there any springs out there that will give me as good or better handling and actually lower the car more or will I have to go with some custom springs and perhaps a Ground Control kit for the front and fab up an adjustable spring perch in the rear?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Lowered The Car, Not Quite As Low As I'd Like

Cut the springs, use coil overs or have custom springs made.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Why do you not want to cut the springs? Hell there were like 2-3 coils compressed on the bottom of the eibachs with the struts out of the car. then 4-5 coils compressed with the car on the ground. I cut 1 full coil off, and used the lower isolators. My car sits nice now.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Cutting the lower coils on the eibachs is not going to affect anything but your ride height.

Imagine what kinda house you'd live in if the framer wanted to leave every 2x4 'stock'

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

It seems as though the eibachs were designed so that the height could be adjusted.

I have a big problem with cutting a progressive spring. I know that the lower coils are just resting on each other. I've heard the argument. If you really want to convince me, maybe you have a link you can send me with a scientific explanation of this?

I will say that it sounds completely logical though. However, I do have other issues. Has cutting the springs made any of your rides any more harsh? Also, the rear springs are the same diameter until the reach the top, right?

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Cut the springs, use coil overs or have custom springs made.
    Any idea how much custom springs are or who a good company to go with is?

EDIT:

Though I'd post a picture for reference.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

WE have a company out here called "Dendoff Springs". They can make anything you want.

Yeah, that looks a bit high,

Nothing wrong with cuttings springs, cut the larger portion off and you will barely affect the ride quality. You have to remember, they are making them for the mass's, so not every car is the same so they give you the basics, then you need to trim to suit your needs.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

A cut spring is a custom spring, why pay some one else a bunch of money to do what you can do with a little elbow grease.
    KO, 86 T&C Turbo II 89 Daytona Shelby 84 Stingray SVB165SS

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Springs are only springs because they flex.

Therefore, those coils that are not touching at rest do not flex when you hit a bump, and in that way are basically not even part of the spring at that moment. Cutting one or two coils that are already bound is not going to increase the spring rate, which is what makes the car 'ride worse'.

I have cut stock springs and it does make them slightly stiffer, which affects the ride, but the vast majority of the ride difference most people talk about is when they lower the car (by cutting, or otherwise) to the point that the dampers arent doing their job well anymore. Lowering your car an inch on Konis isnt going to put you in that boat.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Cut away. No harsh ride here.

Well, I guess my last concern is this. Would I need to worry about shortening the life of my Knois?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I don't even remove the springs from the strut when cutting them. Just wedge a prybar or similar under the coil against the perch and go to town with the cutoff wheel (car on jackstands with the suspension fully drooped). Careful though, it will let go with a POP! When it's almost thru. Dab a little black paint on the raw end and it's all good I'd guess you need somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 coil cut off...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Clint, the one thing you might want to take care of is the rear bump stops. I think your ride will be fine as long as the bump stops don't hit. Cutting off an inch from the rubber bumper is no big deal. Obviously Fancy springs will never be able to avoid the bump stop issue unless you have an insanely strong spring which definitely would ruin the ride.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

if your cutting an inch off the factory bump stop you might as well just remove it completely. There wont be anything there except metal on metal clashing.

turbo addict

thing looks higher now than it does in your signature pic.

Yeah, the rear bump stops are new and the rubber is about an inch worth so there wouldn't be anything left of it. You'll have to take a look next time I have the LeBaron to a meet to check out the bump stop. Looks like there is enough distance that the bump stop should be an issue, but I'm not sure.

Also, I found out why it it's still riding kind of high. I didn't get the 2801 kit for G/J bodies. I got the 2804 kit for the P body. I've been reading it has an extra coil. So, that explains it.

So, you think that a 1/2 to a 3/4 of a coil? About how much would that drop it, an inch?

This is about where I would want it to be:

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    thing looks higher now than it does in your signature pic.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why, but it has lowered it. I measured 1/8th of an inch in the front and almost an inch in the rear. The rear was abnormally high.

Here's a better before picture:

turbo addict

the 2801's have been discontinued for years. Unless you find a used set you're out of luck. The 2804's have an extra progressive coil and one less main coil. But their spring rate is about 50lbs higher. There was a site out there somewhere that had the 2801 and 2804 as well as a bunch of stock spring rates listed.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    the 2801's have been discontinued for years. Unless you find a used set you're out of luck. The 2804's have an extra progressive coil and one less main coil. But their spring rate is about 50lbs higher. There was a site out there somewhere that had the 2801 and 2804 as well as a bunch of stock spring rates listed.
    Yep: http://members.cox.net/irocdaytona/parts.htm

Personally, I'd rather have the higher spring rate.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Yep: http://members.cox.net/irocdaytona/parts.htm

Personally, I'd rather have the higher spring rate.
    Higher spring rate = harsher ride.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Higher spring rate = harsher ride.
    Depends on the wieght of the car as well. How heavy are the Lebarons compared to the daytonas? 084's are a very good ride on my daytona, but Im aware its a pretty heavy car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast