Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally got some new tires (pics)

boostaholic

Re: Finally got some new tires (pics)

i had a pair of half beat ones on the back of my 82 ford and people swore it was 4wd

me and my friend locked axels in a corn feild and his 2000 something 4wd chevy couldnt pull me backwards unless i had the clutch in and he had a posi rearvs my 1 legger

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I drove a truck JUST like that with a stick and i wasnt impressed.. it was hard to get enough load/gearing to make it feel good until you hit 3rd gear. That was with it empty, of course.

BUT, on the other hand, i have driven some extended cab cummins/autos of that generation, and when they are stock they always seemed to suuuuuuuuuuck. Maybe i never drove one that was working correctly.

So even though i didnt like the 5spd that much in a stock truck, i guess its still a good idea. The durability advantage is nice.

Truck looks REALLY nice. Id like to own a cummins truck of that generation.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

i like how you can creep slower with an auto trans

Well the 5spd that came in THOSE things had what you might call a 'granny low'. In normal driving youd skip it and start in 2nd because 1st gear was so slow. I guess its helpful for getting a 6 or 10k lb trailer rolling without overheating the clutch, though.

boostaholic

yeah my 4 speed has the same thing idles at a fast paced walk but auto still goes slower

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by vigo View Post
    well the 5spd that came in those things had what you might call a 'granny low'. In normal driving youd skip it and start in 2nd because 1st gear was so slow. I guess its helpful for getting a 6 or 10k lb trailer rolling without overheating the clutch, though.
    nvg-4500 ftw.:d
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

You know,

When I was younger, my dad bought an 89 new as soon as they came out. His was a 4x4, stick with 4.10s. I remember that thing being a powerhouse, and I always wanted one.

His was totally stock.

So, I get this one and she's just a dog. I mean, it moves out of its own way, but barely.

But then I do some research and it turns out they're just really detuned from the factory.

Stock, it would run up to about 17 PSI and start de-fueling at 2800 RPM.

So, a few little mods that totalled up to about $20 and she defuels at 3200 RPM and boosts to 28PSI. If I romp on it and look in the mirror, there's a nice grey haze where I just was.

Now, it's still not fast, by any means, but I've a few more tricks to turn.

First, the NON-ICed trucks had bigger injectors and smaller exhaust housings on the turbo. Less lag and more fuel...Mine has what's referred to as 'the lagmaster' turbo housing, so that's another step.

And the worst is that the torque converters that came stock in these trucks were about 60% efficient. I believe this was done to keep the tranny together longer in the face of all the engine's torque.

Also, they set the timing very mild, so a simple timing bump is supposed to net a substantial power and fuel mileage boost.

It's just fun to play with...a lot like our little cars...but with less vacuum lines...and electronics.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Garrett booster

You'll be glad you have that bigger exhaust housing once you throw more fuel at it!

Jon

Well, it seems to be a balance like anything else. If you're towing up hills a lot or whatnot, the bigger exhaust housing is good. But for daily driving, it tends to be pretty laggy. Going from the 21 I have to an 18 or a 16 seems to be generally considered a great upgrade.

It seems most of the newer trucks have a wastegated 12, which is also supposed to be a good upgrade.

I haven't done too much researching on the turbo side of things. I have so little money to throw at cars these days, I've been focusing on the 'free' mods.
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Id still love to have one of those things..There is obviously huge potential in those motors.

But actually, whats higher on my list is putting a 4bt into a 93-96 or so full size dodge 1500 van. Yes you read that right, ive been lurking at 4btswaps.com and scheming on this for a few months now.

you get a stureeo in thur yet?

Alpine CDA-9813
    Viper Audio 6/5 components
    RF 400W mono block
    eD 10"

I'm running the active crossovers in the amp, and it's an older v drive model, so it pushed the mids and tweets pretty good...plus it's nice to adjust on the fly.
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminal View Post
    Well, it seems to be a balance like anything else. If you're towing up hills a lot or whatnot, the bigger exhaust housing is good. But for daily driving, it tends to be pretty laggy. Going from the 21 I have to an 18 or a 16 seems to be generally considered a great upgrade.

It seems most of the newer trucks have a wastegated 12, which is also supposed to be a good upgrade.

I haven't done too much researching on the turbo side of things. I have so little money to throw at cars these days, I've been focusing on the 'free' mods.
    Alpine CDA-9813
    Viper Audio 6/5 components
    RF 400W mono block
    eD 10"

I'm running the active crossovers in the amp, and it's an older v drive model, so it pushed the mids and tweets pretty good...plus it's nice to adjust on the fly.
    You have no money to throw at them, but you have the stereo! I take it the components were things you already had?
    Bryan

Yep. The alpine has been in about 4 of my cars now, the subwoofer and amp is in its 3rd and i initially installed those components in my turbo minivan.

Actually, I've gotten to the point now where I go through so many cars that I just keep the stock stereo stuff and reinstall it when i sell it. Never raises the selling price of the car anyway, and I get tired of buying the crap.
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

boostaholic

I rarely use 1st Gear anymore.1st gear coupled with the 4.10 is seriously creeping.It was great when I was towing trailers though.

NV5600 FTW.:d

yea, keep the stock stuff and put it back in unless they want to add cash to keep in it. You almost always. But on the eDUH 10. Which one is it?

edit- Dayton just came out with some new shallow mounts that look seriously interesting. Dayton is ALWAYS high quality stuff anyways.
    http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...ge+Flash+Panel

Yep. The alpine has been in about 4 of my cars now, the subwoofer and amp is in its 3rd and i initially installed those components in my turbo minivan.

Actually, I've gotten to the point now where I go through so many cars that I just keep the stock stereo stuff and reinstall it when i sell it. Never raises the selling price of the car anyway, and I get tired of buying the crap.
    Recycling is the best way. I do it all the time.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by JDAWG View Post
    yea, keep the stock stuff and put it back in unless they want to add cash to keep in it. You almost always. But on the eDUH 10. Which one is it?

edit- Dayton just came out with some new shallow mounts that look seriously interesting. Dayton is ALWAYS high quality stuff anyways.
    http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...ge+Flash+Panel
    My eD history:

I bought a cheap flat-coned 12 back in '03. It sounded great for the 2 years I had it, but when I totalled the car it was in, the vc popped out of the channel and it was dead.

I sent it back and they said they're replace it under warranty. I explained that I had just bought a truck and needed a smaller sub, so they upgraded/downgraded me to the 11ov.2. It is a monster of a little sub, and has sounded great in a .55 cube box.

About 6 months ago it started making noise, and it turns out one of the voice coils was fried.

So, now it sits in my truck with one voice coil blown, but it still sounds pretty good, so I'ma run it until the other one pops...then I'll worry about replacing it.
    Damon

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12