Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serpentine belt on 8 valve engine

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Serpentine belt on 8 valve engine

Has anyone ever done it before ? All these pictures of the T3's and its serp belt setup are making me jealouse.

I've got some ideas on how to make it work, but some other opinions (besides the negative ones) and ideas would always be welcome.

turbo addict

Re: Serpentine belt on 8 valve engine

good idea if it could be done... would be hard if you were running an ac
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I guess it could be done, I've never seen anyone do it.

If you have an idea, go for it.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The crank pulley would be the biggest challenge I think. Everything else would just be a matter of sourcing the pulleys from the newer chrysler vehicles that still used the saginaw ham can and denso alternator with a serpentine belt. modifying the ps pump bracket to shift it over ever so slightly and bring it inline with the wp & alternator. mount a tensioner from something like a 3.3 V6 on the ps pump bracket like the T3 configuration.

and all of this is based upon not having A/C. Its been almost 4 years since the a,c last worked and I'm ready to pull all that crap out and throw it away.

Just use a TIII crank pulley.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Got a spare one ? you can throw it in the box with that PS pump

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Got a spare one ? you can throw it in the box with that PS pump
    I do,

Oh, gotta get you a price, doh!

I ran the oem p/n and came up with the msrp being around $50 for the crank pulley. interestingly enough the water pump pulley was listed cheaper than the 8v one $13 vs $21

I'm sure both are long ago NS1 though...

I ran the oem p/n and came up with the msrp being around $50 for the crank pulley. interestingly enough the water pump pulley was listed cheaper than the 8v one $13 vs $21

I'm sure both are long ago NS1 though...
    Alright, so if its NLA, $100 for the crank, $26 for the waterpump,

I might have a waterpump pulley if you need one.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

My Horizon runs with a single serp belt. All you have to do is eliminate the A/C and PS.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

In my experience I like the 8v belt setup better. It's plenty reliable and simpler for sure. Problem with the TIII serpentine belt setup is you are stuck using the TIII power steering setup because the spring loaded tensioner is integrated into the P/S bracket. That and you have to use the TIII A/C and alternator mounting brackets in order to maintain the proper pulley spacing and provision for mounting the serp idler and those parts can be a pain to find. With the TIII serpentine belt setup, seems to me you really have to run all of it or it won't work. It also doesn't fit an L-body because the P/S and tensioner pulley are way too close to the frame and the belt would run into it.

I guess my only real gripe about the TIII belt setup is that in squeaks incessantly no matter what I do. I think it's belt glaze on the water pump pulley but no matter what it always comes back after cleaning it off.

boostaholic

I have seen the TIII setup on 8valves before. Just convert to all the TIII serp parts and call it a day. Im sure I have everything you need to convert if you wanna go that way.....

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    In my experience I like the 8v belt setup better. It's plenty reliable and simpler for sure. Problem with the TIII serpentine belt setup is you are stuck using the TIII power steering setup because the spring loaded tensioner is integrated into the P/S bracket. That and you have to use the TIII A/C and alternator mounting brackets in order to maintain the proper pulley spacing and provision for mounting the serp idler and those parts can be a pain to find. With the TIII serpentine belt setup, seems to me you really have to run all of it or it won't work. It also doesn't fit an L-body because the P/S and tensioner pulley are way too close to the frame and the belt would run into it.

I guess my only real gripe about the TIII belt setup is that in squeaks incessantly no matter what I do. I think it's belt glaze on the water pump pulley but no matter what it always comes back after cleaning it off.
    I love the TIII setup, I hate multi belts. Its a very simple setup.

Not sure why your's squeaks, mine never has, even in the wet.

It will fit an L body, you just have to notch the frame,

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    My Horizon runs with a single serp belt. All you have to do is eliminate the A/C and PS.
    A/C is 50/50 at this point. PS will be staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    I have seen the TIII setup on 8valves before. Just convert to all the TIII serp parts and call it a day. Im sure I have everything you need to convert if you wanna go that way.....
    I thought about that. but is the belt tensioner thats built into the PS pump bracket a serviceable item ?

boostaholic

I thought about that. but is the belt tensioner thats built into the PS pump bracket a serviceable item ?
    No its not you just have to find a good used one......

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I was thinking of using non-ChryCo pieces, say the tensioner from a GM, and possibly the alt as well.... Heck, what I was really thinking is that I'd cherry pick the best PS pump, Alt, A/C etc from various makes then see if their pulleys would be compatible with each other, going so far as to adapt the crank pulley if need be... But there has been much bigger fish to fry in my life lately so I haven't put too much effort into making it happen, but I'm confident that it could be done fairly easily...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    No its not you just have to find a good used one......
    Yeah thats what I thought..

I'm not trying to set myself for more trouble down the road by using some unique oddball piece thats only going to be that much harder to find as time goes on. I have 2 8v ps pump brackets and know a couple people who are excellent welders. When theres a will, theres a way to make it work using common OTS parts that will always be around.

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    I was thinking of using non-ChryCo pieces, say the tensioner from a GM, and possibly the alt as well.... Heck, what I was really thinking is that I'd cherry pick the best PS pump, Alt, A/C etc from various makes then see if their pulleys would be compatible with each other, going so far as to adapt the crank pulley if need be... But there has been much bigger fish to fry in my life lately so I haven't put too much effort into making it happen, but I'm confident that it could be done fairly easily...

Mike
    Thats how I'm thinking about doing it. Not limiting myself to only chrysler only pieces, especially for the ps pump and making it work. Since just about every GM vehicle for the last 45 years used that exact same pump in one form or another.

turbo addict

Alt pully's are pretty universial, I needed one with my 2.4 swap b/c of this UDP, just went to the yard and they had some, just grabbed a correct rib pulley for free

I could see PS pully's being similar meaning not that hard to find one that would work

An update on this.

Using a 3.3 caravan as the vehicle I bought a tensioner arm assembly and dorman OE solutions ps pump pulley from autozone yesterday.

There should be enough room that I can relocate the ps pump bracket further out from the block (1/2" or so) using some spacers, longer bolts/studs and by slotting and welding additional metal onto the back bolt hole to allow it to shift over as well. Poor mans version of the T3 setup with all replacable components

Gotta buy a set of main bearings so I can set the crankshaft into the block for mockup purposes.

Is the T-3 waterpump pulley that much different than the 8v ? slightly wider or a different offset ?

Gotta buy a set of main bearings so I can set the crankshaft into the block for mockup purposes.

Is the T-3 waterpump pulley that much different than the 8v ? slightly wider or a different offset ?
    You don't have any old bearings kicking around? lol.

The TIII waterpump pulley is wider and I think slightly different offset to offset the wider belt. Its also for the 91+ pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast