Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buffing Clear Coat!!??

Garrett booster

Buffing Clear Coat!!??

Hey I just recently repainted my Shelby Dakota in my High school auto body shop and I decided to go with a show quality paint job by cutting, reclearing, and then cutting and buffing the paint job.

I was wondering what the fastest way people have found to get all the swirls out is?? So far i've been using the Meguiar's 105 compound but it just takes FOREVER!! Maybe thats just what it'll take to get this nice of a paint job but if anyone has any better ideas let me know!! Thanx!

-Daniel

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Re: Buffing Clear Coat!!??

Have you tried one of those Meguiar or detailing websites. One of their newbs is going to know as much as someone here. I've browsed around, those guys are nuts about wheeling out paint!
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Garrett booster

For the last hour I actually have been checking out autotopia and meguiars website!! Your right those guys are all crazy!! Ha ha. I think I figured out the answer i was looking for, its just gonna take some time and patience! Thanx!

-Daniel

turbo addict

What I use and its pretty easy to use and tkaes the swirl marls out in a product by 3M called swirl remover. You should be able to pick it up at your local automotive paint supply store.
    goes on just like you would be waxing the truck and buff it off with a soft cotton towel or cheese cloth.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dan15 View Post
    Hey I just recently repainted my Shelby Dakota in my High school auto body shop and I decided to go with a show quality paint job by cutting, reclearing, and then cutting and buffing the paint job.

I was wondering what the fastest way people have found to get all the swirls out is?? So far i've been using the Meguiar's 105 compound but it just takes FOREVER!! Maybe thats just what it'll take to get this nice of a paint job but if anyone has any better ideas let me know!! Thanx!

-Daniel
    Would help to know what you used to make the swirls but this method should work even on wet-sanding scratches and heavy compound swirls.

3M Finnesse-it using a wool pad and rotary buffer followed by either 3M swirl remover with a foam pad or meguiars #9 with a foam pad. I ussually follow that up with Meguiars #3 with a foam pad, Meguiars #7 by hand and some good cleaner free carnuba. Use clean towels!

If you just have spider like scatches from rubbing the car with a towel you can go straight to the Meguiars #3.

Hybrid booster

-Daniel

Try using it with a wool pad. I couldn't get 3M Finesse-it to cut at all with a foam pad but it worked great with wool. Sounds like the Meguiars 105 is similar to that but I've never used it. You could then switch to a foam pad or a foam pad with some swirl remover and then a final glaze like meguiars #3 before waxing

turbo addict

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Run your buffer across the panel with a good amount of 3m swirl mark remover. Then stop and spray it with water. Use a fine wool pad. (not the one with the twisted strands) Foam pads suck IMO. After that you can use a little bit of mist n shine and apply it by hand and wipe off.

This is the process I use at work on 50 million dollar aircrafts and it comes out good.

turbo addict

btw Dan15 what are you using rotary?

On a rotary foam does suck but I'm not that good. Set it to like 1500rpm on a light wool and light compound and try a section to see how it works. If its does the job continue, if not then try a harsher compound and check. With a rotary its very easy to just apply a line of compound to the paint and pick it up with the buffer

autopia is deff a great site with gobs of info and pros

for beginners the optimum compounds are easy to use and dont dry up fast

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Chad T View Post
    Would help to know what you used to make the swirls but this method should work even on wet-sanding scratches and heavy compound swirls.
    I made the swirls when cutting the clear coat. I used 800, 1000, 1500, 2500, and then 4500 on the orbital sander. I wet sanded all the body lines with 2000 and then hit with the 2500 and 4500 on the orbital.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    btw Dan15 what are you using rotary?

On a rotary foam does suck but I'm not that good. Set it to like 1500rpm on a light wool and light compound and try a section to see how it works. If its does the job continue, if not then try a harsher compound and check. With a rotary its very easy to just apply a line of compound to the paint and pick it up with the buffer
    Yes i'm using a rotary with a wool pad set to 1400rpm with the Meguiars 105 compound. It gets the swirls out but it just is really tedious and takes a long time! This is the first car I've ever painted so I don't really know what to expect. But with the more reading i've been doing it sounds like its just a really time consuming part of the process! So I guess it'll just take lots and lots of time and patience!

Hybrid booster

Yes i'm using a rotary with a wool pad set to 1400rpm with the Meguiars 105 compound. It gets the swirls out but it just is really tedious and takes a long time! This is the first car I've ever painted so I don't really know what to expect. But with the more reading i've been doing it sounds like its just a really time consuming part of the process! So I guess it'll just take lots and lots of time and patience!
    Sanding scratches do take time to get out. You could go with a heavier compound but then you'll have swirls from that to get out. If you're getting a good result just stick with it.

If you're using a wool finishing pad you will go a little faster with a cutting pad. Sounds like you're going to have a nice looking finish when you're done.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

use 3M "perfect it 1" and get the white 3M self centering foam pad and then get 3M "perfect it 2" and the black 3M self centering pad... if you use these two polishes i guarantee it will come out perfect! I would use a regular variable speed polisher too, not an orbital one.. If you get those two polishes and the two pads be prepared to spend about $150, but when it comes to materials you get what you pay for IMO. It also helps to wetsand and polish the car as soon as possable... the longer you wait the harder it is to sand and polish...

turbo addict

I made the swirls when cutting the clear coat. I used 800, 1000, 1500, 2500, and then 4500 on the orbital sander. I wet sanded all the body lines with 2000 and then hit with the 2500 and 4500 on the orbital.

Your just wasting your time and money with 2500, and 4500. Depending on how smooth I sprayed it I go 1000, 1500, then buff.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Your just wasting your time and money with 2500, and 4500. Depending on how smooth I sprayed it I go 1000, 1500, then buff.
    +1

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    +1
    Luckily it didn't cost me much more but I'll keep that in mind for next time! Thanx for all the help everyone!

-Daniel

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

FWIW, the detailing forums over at vwvortex.com are full of information. Lot of stuff there, if you can't find it here.

Hate to plug another forum, but its one of the best ones I've found.
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

Hybrid booster

the reason you have swirls is from using an orbital sander when wetsanding. 1200-1500 the day after you paint will cut clear like butter and the sand scratches will easily buff out with meguires#3 on a woll pad, followed by meguires swirl remover with a foam finger pad ( not the flat foam pad but the one that has dozens of foam fingers sticking up) and speed that buffer up! you're not doing anything at 1500 rpm! i get a mirror gloss shine every time - even on black.

turbo addict

does any of this apply to clearcoat peel on stock paint lol? my rt is pretty nice but a couple spots on the roof are peeling, what can i do about fixing this, paints too nice to just remove and repaint for just these couple small spots but i wanna take care of them if possible? red btw. sorry to hijack, this just is a good thread for this type of question, since people that know about paint are already following within the thread, ya know. thanks

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    does any of this apply to clearcoat peel on stock paint lol? my rt is pretty nice but a couple spots on the roof are peeling, what can i do about fixing this, paints too nice to just remove and repaint for just these couple small spots but i wanna take care of them if possible? red btw. sorry to hijack, this just is a good thread for this type of question, since people that know about paint are already following within the thread, ya know. thanks
    peeling clear coat would require complete repaint of the panel, and a blend. It already looks like your fender was painted with the wrong color. Probally be the same price to repaint the whole car.

turbo addict

nah that was just one fender that was replaced off a different car, rest of the car and hood are great, (well besides the 2 spots on the roof that are peeled in very small spots), and original. i wanted to save the original paint. hrmmm blend eh? that sucks. sure theres no finishing glazr or soemthing to go over the peeled area that can buff in and bring a shine back to that spot?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    nah that was just one fender that was replaced off a different car, rest of the car and hood are great, (well besides the 2 spots on the roof that are peeled in very small spots), and original. i wanted to save the original paint. hrmmm blend eh? that sucks. sure theres no finishing glazr or soemthing to go over the peeled area that can buff in and bring a shine back to that spot?
    Once the clear starts to peel you can't really buff or polish it.

But I'm pretty sure you could sand down the area where the clear coat is peeling, DON'T sand through the paint though, and then put some more clear coat on it.
    Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast