Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid cheap waterpump bolts...

Hybrid booster

Stupid cheap waterpump bolts...

Well I was taking apart my waterpump to rebuild it and of course the head of a bolt snapped off in the housing the process. I tried to drill through the bolt to extract it but I won't make more than a little indent. Any tips on getting it out or possibly if it will be fine missing one bolt? It's the bolt that runs right next to the long hole where the alternator adjusting bolt runs through to the block.

boostaholic

Re: Stupid cheap waterpump bolts...

i am sure someone has a housing for sale on here...try posting it on the wanted adds.....its probally very frozen...try putting some heat to it....but not alot as its alum...

Hybrid booster

Getting another one is a worse-case scenario, I rather try to get this one fixed so I don't have to wait on shipping. I just don't understand why my drill bits won't go through whats left of the bolt.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Sounds like you need some new drill bits

Hybrid booster

Just bought this set, Black and Decker titanium bits for use on steel. Any suggestions on what might work on it?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Did you center punch the broken bolt? Those drill bits should go right tru it.

Use some heat, penetrating fluid etc.

Post a pic of it so we can see where it is in relation to everything else.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Are you starting with a small bit and working up in size?

turbo addict

HA! Based on the thread title I was thinking this was going to be about some sort of high end WP bolts for pennies...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Hybrid booster

Started with a 1/16, made a tiny hole and then just kept spinning without going any further, then snapped. Bought a titanium bit and just kept spinning as well and then it snapped. Bigger titanium bits just spin as well. I don't have a center punch, But I would think the indent should be big enough to let it catch. At this point, I really wouldn't even mind drilling the entire hole out and using a bigger bolt, but even my bits the size of the bolt just spin and don't dig in. I tried using some PB blaster as well. What did they make these bolts out of, depleted uranium?

turbo addict

could be stainless, once you heat stainless up it tempers and becomes impossible to drill.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

if you have a mig welder just build the bolt flush of the housing ,put a washer and weld it and weld another bolt on it , drop some water and your good to go , i wish i didnt make it sound weard but i use this technique on almost all the broken bolts and it work well (sorry formy english im french)

turbo addict

what about flipping it over and trying fresh with another 1/16" on the other side. BTW the black and decker bits arent that great lol, its no surprise that they arent doing it. Its home owners bits at best!!! get a bosch bit or soemthing name brand like that. You can find them at home depot, etc. (home owner store lol) but at least it has pro stuff too. once u get a hole through it, use a mating EZ out. In fact get a good EX small size set cus it come with good bits and the ex out of size. Erwin, etc. I dont home depot has them but hardware surplus stores and such do.
    I dont even see how its so stuck in the pump like it is, there isnt even thread there.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Lol, and to think I just replaced one tonight using a 3/8 air gun w/ no problems
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Find a good (ie expensive) left hand bit just big enough to fit in the hole and a buddy with a drill press, drill out the hole and threads should still be ok. You'll still have to clean out the little slivers of metal left in the threads but that wil come out easy after the majority of the bolt is gone.

turbo addict

Dont use any heat on it, it will harden it and make it hard to drill out. Make sure you start with a very small bit. I usually use a 1/16" but go slow and dont break it. Then go to a 3/16, then to what ever size the hole is.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    what about flipping it over and trying fresh with another 1/16" on the other side. BTW the black and decker bits arent that great lol, its no surprise that they arent doing it. Its home owners bits at best!!! get a bosch bit or soemthing name brand like that. You can find them at home depot, etc. (home owner store lol) but at least it has pro stuff too. once u get a hole through it, use a mating EZ out. In fact get a good EX small size set cus it come with good bits and the ex out of size. Erwin, etc. I dont home depot has them but hardware surplus stores and such do.
    I dont even see how its so stuck in the pump like it is, there isnt even thread there.
    Of course with my luck, I broke the only bolt that you can't get to from the other side. But I suppose I'll run by the home depot and grab a better bit and I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice so far!

I would suspect the drill bit. To my shock, Ace Hardware has REALLY good bits you can buy individually. And get a drill that has variable speed so you don't burn the bit. You need a slow speed for steel.
    When I drilled new pin blocks for pianos, I had to air cool the drill or it would burn up by the time I drilled 5 holes.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

That is in a weird area, I wouldn't put it together without fixing it, most likely it will leak.

What they all said, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

So here's the status update: I'm going to need a new pump lol. I got a couple bits from home depot (Rigid brand, cryo treated, specifically for metal). The 1/16 snapped within a minute (and I was applying minimal pressure). The 5/64 bit I tried next, I got about another .5mm into the bolt and then stopped digging. I even bought a nice variable speed drill and took it slow. So I give up, I'm going to be spending more in bits than a used housing pretty soon. So if anyone has a water pump housing for the larger size 91 water pump, hit me up.

Oh, and by the way Simon, that pulley I ended up not needing, little did I know that the belt would rub on the alt bracket when using an smaller water pump with a '91 alt bracket....

turbo addict

Its easy to snap those small bits of your not carefull. Lots of oil, slow slow speed, and make sure to NOT angle the drill. The flutes willl catch the side of the hole and it will snap immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast