Thread: LOTS of questions on my new 600ES (long)

Garrett booster

LOTS of questions on my new 600ES (long)

(NOTE!: Please see the 7 questions below. If you have any feedback on even just one of them, Please feel free to list the # and thoughts. Thank You)

Well, after years (10+) of casually looking, I lucked out when I got my Gold 85 600ES turbo last fall. Well, luck just smiled on me again by giving me a SECOND Gold 85 600ES (Both convertibles). The first one I grabbed and had shipped to me, since I'd had so much trouble finding a gold one at all, but it was just in 'good' condition. This second one is in much better shape, but I have a couple of issues that I'm hoping will make sense to others on here.

Similar to the post below about the 85 Shelby Charger, I'm having a 'cut out' issue. I got a big long list of paperwork from the prev. owner and it's some very interesting reading. I'm not sure I agree with it all, but here's the background.

The car had a small under-hood fire. The mechanic's paperwork said "valve cover gasket was leaking and started a small fire". They replaced the following:
    - Throttle position sensor
    - Coolant temp sensor
    - Knock sensor
    - O2 sensor
    - (2) Fuel injectors
    - (1) spark plug
    (note: Other items like plugs/wires were replaced about 6 months before this, and of course things like the valve cover gasket! lol)

The notes from the shop say:
    "found several sensors, hoses, and elect. components damaged from under-hood fire. Rerouted vacuum lines correctly. NOTE: Over 3/4 throttle acceleration the power loss light comes on and car shuts down briefly. Needs turbocharger replaced. Shows code 45 'over-boost detected'."

Now, I've had a lot of 2.2 turbos in my years and I have found most of the issues to be from things like I read on the 85 Shelby charger post below (will replace the fuel filter tomorrow for one), but I've never known anyone to say the turbo is bad when it spools up/down nicely when you rev it, or when driving. (The first thing I check on a test drive). In fact, the car drives GREAT when you keep from hard acceleration. I even drove it 180 miles home when I bought it with NO issues at all.

SO, now my QUESTIONS:

1) Re: Code 45. I read the code sheet listed in the 85 Shelby Charger post and will go over all the vacuum lines tomorrow, but if there's anything else anyone can think of please chime in.

2) The Cruise control doesn't work. Is there any 'link' between this issue and shutting down the Cruise? IF NOT, Can anyone offer me any common things to check to get this working again?

3) (The car doesn't have power door locks. This was a shock since I've never seen an ES that wasn't fully loaded. Actually had manl. seats, but I've already got a power track to install). HOW HARD is it to add them? (even just the electronics, if not the button since the armrest is different)

4) Both of my ES's seem like the 'dim' on the dash lights doesn't work right. (Won't just turn on to the 'bright dash' mode and stay). Is this easy to 'clean' or fix?

5) The both have the pizza wheels, but are quite 'rough'. Is there any good way to 'refinish' these wheels? (and if anyone in the Portland area does this - HINT HINT)

6) Does anyone know if the digital dashes are the same (plugs/wiring) for different years? I'm going to make one of these my summer 'driver convertible', and really like the 86 dashes better. Also, what about the dashes from an 86 Lebaron GTS's? I'd think Chry. would just wire them all the same, and just change the display... or so I'm hoping. ANY info on this would be a big help before I go digging in the yards for different displays.

7) BOTH of these cars have "- - - - - - -" for the mileage. I've seen all sorts of 'Fun Mopar digi-mileage tricks" in my past. (2 friends that hit bumps and came back with totally different mileage and my 91 Imperial that was 4 years old with 179K on it and the owner SWORE to me (she was almost crying) that it had 38,xxx on it one day and 164,xxx the next. I almost believed her 'cause the car was perfect and didn't have a crack in the drivers seat leather) The prev. owner of this ES said she was told that the "sending unit" was bad and that's why the mileage was - - - - - - -. Does anyone have any thoughts, info, fixes for this?

SOOOOOOO sorry for the super long post, and a dozen questions, but I really want to get these 2 all set up. 1 for show, 1 for summer daily driver. ANYTHING that anyone can offer will help!

Ray.

turbo addict

Re: LOTS of questions on my new 600ES (long)

"overboost, and you need a new turbo" HAHAHHAH moron mechanic. He obviously routed the vac lines wrong. Here's the vac diagram you'll need. 85 an 86 are the same.

turbo addict

im going to pick # 4

Both of my ES's seem like the 'dim' on the dash lights doesn't work right. (Won't just turn on to the 'bright dash' mode and stay). Is this easy to 'clean' or fix?

install a new headlight switch, 30 bucks new or in almost any other Chrysler product. we're talking about the dimmer having dead spots rigth?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

Overboost: Yea, I was thinking about the same thing. Lucky for me the mech. put the 'fear' into her about it and she sold it for about 60% of what she paid for just that repair. I actually felt bad she got ripped off, but at least she got a fair price for the market now.

Headlight switch: Good to know on the headlight switch. I know in the past some of my cars had switches that were easy to clean if you know where to clean. For the $ that's just fine w/me to get a new one. Thank you both!!

Garrett booster

GOT IT!!! Vacume lines to the waste gate were not only on wrong ( first the 'bottom' vac from the manifold was on the top PURGE nipple. Second, the one from the manifold and to the wastegate were reversed, and Finally, the line from the wastegate had a break in it!)

Fixed all of those and WOW!!! It runs like a dream! (Hummm, $1200 for a new turbo, vs 30 minutes and a 3" piece of vac hose. What will it be?) LOL

Also, a bump to the other questions above... especially the one about interchangability of the digi- dashes.

Thanks again GLHNSLHT2

turbo addict

no problems. They're one of the 1st things to check on these cars.

turbo addict

yet most mechanics tell people they'll need a new expensive turbo.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

5) To refinish the wheels, get some aircraft stripper in aerosol cans from walmart and spray the wheels with it. It will take off the clear coat. This is NASTY stuff so use gloves and do not get it on your skin!!!! Once the clear is gone then you can polish the wheel. I like to use Mothers' alum wheel polish and a buffing pad on a regular drill.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Garrett booster

GREAT to know! I'm off to walmart this weekend (if it's nice enough to work outside).

Anyone on the other items?? How about digidash swaps???

Buhler??
    Anyone?
    Buhler??

7) The mileage issue is caused by the mileage chip being corrupted. If you remove the cluster you will find a small plastic cover on the back that hides the mileage chip. You can use the chip from a 84-86 Daytona-Laser, 84-85 New Yorker-Lebaron-600, or 84-86 600 ES. It's the only way to fix the problem, and of course the mileage on the donor car is what ends up on your speedo. I recently had the chip go bad on my 26K mile 84 Laser, talk about a hard pill to swallow. So far I have not been able to find a speedo shop that still has these chips in stock as Mopar quit using them many years ago.

6) I don't believe any of the other FWD clusters will fit in your car without cutting up the cluster to make it fit. The 86-88 New Yorker-Lebaron cluster is a direct replacement, however you will lose your tach. If you have an extra 3 spoke steering wheel in Tan I would love to buy one to replace the lame 2 spoke one in my 85 Lebaron.

2) The cruise is mechanicly driven by a cable that comes out of the digital speed sensor on the transmission. It could be the cable, cruise servo, or the cruise switch in the column. I think the cruise also has a fuse that feeds it power. I can probably round up the test procedure for the switch if you need me to.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Garrett booster

THANK YOU!!!! That's FANTASTIC info to me and YES! I would love to get the diag. procedures for the Cruise. I still need to pick up the shop books for the 85s since I have 2, and get my dad to send me the 86 set collecting dust in his house (like pulling teeth) 'but till then I'm really 'in the dark' here so anything you can offer would be GREAT!

Re. the mileage, Fantastic. I've already got a digi-dash replacement for my 86 GTS (it was there so just in case) so I'll see what the mileage is on that. Now I've got even more reason to pull a dash every time I see one!

>>> QUESTION <<<: Can they be moved/removed multiple times (in case I find a closer one to the actual mileage) can I remove one I switched in and put it back in the 'donor' readout?

As for the dashes. Did any of the 86 and up digitals have the tach on the left (like the 85 ES's do)? I REALLY like the vertical gages A LOT more than the single little light that moves along the bar, but love the tach. (why I was hoping I could get something like the GTS dash, or even the 88/9 lebaron dashes)

first suggestion is not to take it to that shop ever again, there are some guys out your way

Garrett booster

Oh that's not my shop!!! That was in the paperwork from the lady I bought it from (and they were screwing BADLY!)

Please P/M me of anyone you know out this way. I'm looking for someone to replace a rack in my 86 GTS for one (mid summer/??) and always have a few things I don't want to get involved with on my plate.

Thanks!

isnt johnny (polybushings) out his way?