Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

turbo addict

Re: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

Can you take a pictures of the SRT intake beside the non turbo DOHC 2.4 intake. Im trying to figure out if there is a different between the port flange

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I just scored an intake for $100!

I don't know who was more excited, the guy who got my $100 or me for scoring an intake for $100.

A.J.
    Did you get the throttle body and throttle body spacer/adapter thing with it?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    Can you take a pictures of the SRT intake beside the non turbo DOHC 2.4 intake. Im trying to figure out if there is a different between the port flange
    I don't have pictures of a non-turbo 2.4 manifold but can supply the SRT-4 ones.

Not even close.

To bad, the bolt holes line up.

Nope, won't work.

I cut the flange off of the 2.2/2.5 one piece intake. I'll have to have it welded on at about this angle to clear the auto trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Did you get the throttle body and throttle body spacer/adapter thing with it?
    No I didn't because I have to modify the intake to clear the transmission so there was no need in trying to get the SRT-4 throttle body to work.

A.J.

Looks good

turbo addict

I am talking about the head flange. I plan on using a srt4 throttle body too. I can use pretty much whatever I want since im using megasquirt.

turbo addict

Never mind I compared some pictures and info and the SRT intake manifold will only fit on a SRT head and vise versa. Sucks, but I get an excuse to make a manifold now.

I finished porting my head today. I figured I'd better get it done so when my valve grinding stones and guide pilot show up I can get that done. Then I can get the head resurfaced, block decked, and assembly can begin. Once the engine is assembled then I rip into the donor van. I have to do it in steps because my shop is too small for all these parts.

Before:

After:

Exhaust before:

Exhaust after:

Intake before:

Intake after:

I apologize for the lack of some pictures and the s**t quality of others. Sometimes I don't realize how bad they are until I get home and get them down loaded.

The after pics don't look that good but it looks better in person. Also I'm more interested in feel than looks. My main goal was to clean up the casting flash and just smooth things out. I'm sure if I spent more time on it I could make it look really good but I hate porting and I'm too cheap to pay somebody to do it for me.

A.J.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Looking good to me!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

I'm still waiting on my valve seat grinding pilot and stones. I got tired of sitting around playing Backgammon so I took the engine out of the donor van today. Once I got about half way through (it took two hours to remove) my business phone wouldn't stop ringing and two customers showed up with cars to fix. And another big job is coming in on Friday. But at least I got it out and I can start cleaning stuff and going through the transmission. I decided on a Peloquin LSD. I like the drop in aspect seeing that I'm not a transmission guy.

You might notice in the pictures, CV shaft cups sticking out of the trans. I had a bunch of CV shafts lying around. I got tired of transmissions leaking when I pulled them, mostly when I pulled them out the top and they are angled. I dismantled some shafts and saved the ends. The outers to hold the wheel bearings together when pushing a vehicle so they don't come apart. And the inners for transmission plugs.

My new storage shed on wheels. I'm not keeping the valuable parts (to me) in the van. It's going to be outside and I don't need a tweaker going through it for scrap to sell.

A.J.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Those axle ends come in really handy. I had a set of outers but i think i accidentally let them get crushed with one of the shells i recycled Need to get more..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Looking good,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I got the accessory brackets off the donor motor today for fitment. A/C compressor bracket isn't going to work. Only two out of four bolt holes line up. One on the oil pump is missing and one on the oil pan. The power steering pump bracket in the back is going to work. The alternator bracket bolts up to the block fine but the alternator hits the SRT intake. I'm going to have to find a thinner alternator or try the Stratus 2.4 alternator bracket. I looked in ALLDATA and the bracket looks different so I'll give it a try.

If I take the cover off the back it almost fits.

A.J.

turbo addict

I got the accessory brackets off the donor motor today for fitment. A/C compressor bracket isn't going to work. Only two out of four bolt holes line up. One on the oil pump is missing and one on the oil pan. The power steering pump bracket in the back is going to work. The alternator bracket bolts up to the block fine but the alternator hits the SRT intake. I'm going to have to find a thinner alternator or try the Stratus 2.4 alternator bracket. I looked in ALLDATA and the bracket looks different so I'll give it a try.

If I take the cover off the back it almost fits.

A.J.
    Alternator is in the back on my neon, Its has a 2.4 but im not sure if the stratus is in the back or no.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I got the accessory brackets off the donor motor today for fitment. A/C compressor bracket isn't going to work. Only two out of four bolt holes line up.
    A.J.
    Don't over think the AC bracket. It works fine once you modify it slightly.

There is a 3rd boss on the SRT4 block right in the middle of it. Drill a hole through the bracket that aligns with the boss. Then use a button head bolt in that hole so that it clears the AC compressor housing.

3 M10 bolts will hold the AC compressor in place just fine. I will try to take a picture tonight.

-Rich

Alternator is in the back on my neon, Its has a 2.4 but im not sure if the stratus is in the back or no.
    Neon's have the alternator in the back. Stratus' have it in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Don't over think the AC bracket. It works fine once you modify it slightly.

There is a 3rd boss on the SRT4 block right in the middle of it. Drill a hole through the bracket that aligns with the boss. Then use a button head bolt in that hole so that it clears the AC compressor housing.

3 M10 bolts will hold the AC compressor in place just fine. I will try to take a picture tonight.

-Rich
    Thanks but don't bother with the picture. I saw and thought about that. The hole you drill has to be shimmed because the bracket doesn't sit flat between the two factory holes and the new one. I might still use it. I want to see what's available in the junkyard when I get the alternator bracket.

A.J.

turbo addict

Have you considered putting in the back like a neon? Would give you more room for intake, radiatior, intercooler...etc..

Have you considered putting in the back like a neon? Would give you more room for intake, radiatior, intercooler...etc..
    That can be done but then he has an issue with the PS pump...

IIRC the SRT4 uses the passenger side motor mount as part of the PS tensioiner and mount.

Modern performance does make a custom mount for that though.

-Rich

I want the alternator in the front. I've had to replace one on the road before and if it's in the back it would be too difficult. If the power steering pump goes out I can still make it home.

IIRC the SRT4 uses the passenger side motor mount as part of the PS tensioiner and mount.
    You are correct sir.......

A.J.

Neon's have the alternator in the back. Stratus' have it in the front.
    I have heard of the rear alternator brackets cracking so if you go that route consider reinforcing the bracket.

I have the rear bracket if you need it.

Thanks but don't bother with the picture. I saw and thought about that. The hole you drill has to be shimmed because the bracket doesn't sit flat between the two factory holes and the new one. I might still use it. I want to see what's available in the junkyard when I get the alternator bracket.

A.J.
    That is nothing that a 10 cent fender washer can't fix... Or the little bosses that stick up on the bracket could be ground flat.

The SRT4/PT AC bracket basically uses those same 3 bolts plus one additional one on the top. I had one but I threw it away during a mass garage cleaning. It was 10lbs of cast iron!

I would also check into the 2gen 2001-2006 stratus intake manifold and AC bracket. I think it is plastic but those flow better anyway because they are perfectly smooth inside.

I am not certian but I think this is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...05&mfe=sidebar

It might even have a variable runner length in it like the 2.0l magnum intake does...

-Rich

I have heard of the rear alternator brackets cracking so if you go that route consider reinforcing the bracket.

I have the rear bracket if you need it.
    I have the SRT rear alternator bracket. It came with my engine. I just don't want to use it.

That is nothing that a 10 cent fender washer can't fix... Or the little bosses that stick up on the bracket could be ground flat.

The SRT4/PT AC bracket basically uses those same 3 bolts plus one additional one on the top. I had one but I threw it away during a mass garage cleaning. It was 10lbs of cast iron!
    I don't like the way the majority of the bracket isn't attached to anything. If you say that the other bolt is above the ones that I can use than it shouldn't matter. Than again, maybe that's why it was made of such heavy material. I have an idea on what I'm going to do. I'll post what I end up with.

I would also check into the 2gen 2001-2006 stratus intake manifold and AC bracket. I think it is plastic but those flow better anyway because they are perfectly smooth inside.

I am not certian but I think this is one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...05&mfe=sidebar

It might even have a variable runner length in it like the 2.0l magnum intake does...
    Naw, I like aluminum and I like the look of the SRT Neon intake.

A.J.

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast