Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738 LastLast

Thread: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

And every time it flares you wear off a minute amount of clutch material that minutely alters the apply timing needed to prevent the next flare. It's a moving target. Maybe ok for someone who wants the challenge more than anything else.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    do you know how to adjust clutch to clutch shift timing in megashift?

i thought i remember flares between shifts in brians videos.

Brian
    Nope, no idea. Doing reading & research right now. Not pulling the trigger on this until sometime next year. Probably going to be a trial and error type thing. I got the 41TE trans for $200 (actually just traded $200 in labor) and Mega Shift is going to be about $250. So if it doesn't work I'll only be out about $250 cash. Peanuts compared to some of the money I've wasted on this hobby.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I've broken an output shaft at the transfer gear too. I don't think the 41TE input shaft is any stronger since the 31TH torque converter will fit the 41TE. I'm doing the swap for a couple of reasons, 1) Adjusting shift points. I don't like carburetors because of the way you have to adjust fuel but yet I have a hydraulic transmission with swapping governor weights is about the same as swapping jets in a carburetor. Right now I'm in 3rd gear by 25 mph. I'm hoping I can adjust that with a lap top with Mega Shift. 2) Over drive! Need I say more. 3) All clutch packs, no bands. Not that I've had a problem with my bands, but nobody can argue that all clutches wouldn't be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Nope, no idea. Doing reading & research right now. Not pulling the trigger on this until sometime next year. Probably going to be a trial and error type thing. I got the 41TE trans for $200 (actually just traded $200 in labor) and Mega Shift is going to be about $250. So if it doesn't work I'll only be out about $250 cash. Peanuts compared to some of the money I've wasted on this hobby.
    I feel the "carbureted" transmission complaint.

At some point megashift could be expanded in its function. Its been a side thing forever but I think some of the newer plugnplay megasquirts have the ability to control transmissions so its not totally lost indevelopment potential. Not sure if MS3pro has the ability.

Very interested with the 41te development. Hoping you get some good settings shared or can simply the thinking process compared to what UNA was doing.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

I know the SCT tuners and such can tune the trannies in the trucks and Jeeps, so at some point control over clutch-to-clutch shifting I would think would have to come around. Especially since a good majority of new trannies are clutch-to-clutch shifted. This isn't a new idea anymore.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

we just need an army of folks to badger rob.....

"turbonator is good enough!!!!!! work on turboshifter!!!!!!" I nEEEEEEEEd it!!!!!!"

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I've been messaging Rob this week about it, and Morris. I have a running van w/ the 604 in it to use as a test mule/research vessel.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Maybe we can buy him out of that mostly for free work and get him into something profitable. Transmission control is applicable to a bunch of platforms if he works it out.$$$
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

The main hurdle right now is finding the decoder routine in the TCU.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I've been messaging Rob this week about it, and Morris. I have a running van w/ the 604 in it to use as a test mule/research vessel.
    is that the AWD van you were thinking of selling a ways back?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    The main hurdle right now is finding the decoder routine in the TCU.
    I really really really want that to happen. 3 speed billet part group buys are expensive and pretty lame if you are never able to collect all the needed parts. If you do start buying them then its hard to get into the 4 speed if we ever get the programming to take off.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 11-28-2015 at 01:47 AM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Don't talk about that. I need him to think noone wants it until i'm ready to buy it as a SWB AWD swap donor for my SRT van.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post

Brian
    Yeah same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I really really really want that to happen. 3 speed billet part group buys are expensive and pretty lame if you are never able to collect all the needed parts. If you do start buying them then its hard to get into the 4 speed if we ever get the programming to take off.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Don't talk about that. I need him to think noone wants it until i'm ready to buy it as a SWB AWD swap donor for my SRT van.
    Lol, it's still for sale technically, I just figured it'd be an easier sell if I drove it a while.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Maybe we can buy him out of that mostly for free work and get him into something profitable. Transmission control is applicable to a bunch of platforms if he works it out.$$$
    I don't want to hi-jack AJ's thread, so I'll continue this in one of the 41te/a604 threads.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

LAUNCH CONTROL!

Still waiting on my torque converter. I decided to work on my launch control button. I wanted to mount a switch in the handle of my gear shifter but that I think will be too difficult. A friend recommended mounting it on the steering wheel. Well there's the whole "steering wheel turns" thing that I'd have to figure out a solution to. Since this isn't something I'll use daily, I figured I'd make it something that I only hook up at the track. My friend also recommended a coiled wire like a telephone cord (remember those) and then I thought of my grounding strap I bought to ground myself when I'm working on computer boards. I go to pull it out of my drawer of my tool box and I find that a bottle of silver solder flux spilled on the elastic wrist band ruining it. SWEET, now I don't have to go out and buy one, I'll scavenge this one for parts.

The end that attaches to the wrist strap has a snap which will make it ideal to attach or remove quickly without any tools.

The other end just plugs into an alligator clip. I haven't figured out how that will plug into the dash. More on that later after I figure out what I'm going to do.

I happened to have a momentary switch lying around. Great for me because I didn't want to go and have to buy one on Christmas Eve. I decided to mount it in an easily reached spot with my thumb.

That part of the steering wheel is composite plastic. I drilled the hole the same size as the switch so it's just held in there with friction. Since that part of the steering wheel is composite I had to run a ground wire to the ground on the metal part of the wheel. Since there wasn't that much room in that hole I drilled, I also ran the wire from the wrist ground strap snap into the center of the steering wheel so I have enough extra wire to work on it but had someplace for the wire to go but wouldn't push the switch out of the steering wheel. I had to drill a hole sideways from the center of the steering wheel to the hole for the switch to run the wires.

I couldn't solder the wire to the snap because I was afraid to melt the plastic. So I just tucked the wire between the metal and the plastic base. I figured screwing it to the steering wheel will hold it in place.

More to come later........
    Last edited by A.J.; 12-25-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

You're already well into it, but if all you needed was a momentary switch, you could just use a headphone/speaker type jack and wire and use that. And you could have grounded back at the dash rather than at the wheel.

Looks like you got it well in hand though. They have those single wire jacks like when you plug in a multimeter lead.
    The coiled wire should work well!

The other idea could have been a piggy back switch for the shifter arm. They make them for nitrous switches to mount on shifters.

Looking forward to seeing your van's progression this coming season!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Garrett booster

What about a Hurst Shifters® 2483875 - Replacement Switch for Roll/Control

Quote Originally Posted by duster94 View Post
    What about a Hurst Shifters® 2483875 - Replacement Switch for Roll/Control
    I looked up that switch, I couldn't see how it would be mounted.

I finished wiring up the launch control today.

I used the alligator clip that came with my wrist grounding strap. I drilled a hole in the gauge bezel and used a screw to fasten it to the bezel from underneath.

Here is a picture of the back end of the alligator clip poking through where the slinky wire will plug into.

And here it is all hooked up.

Garrett booster

mounts on your gear shift

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

What's that switch to the left of your radio?
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

They are hard to find but a greddy steering wheel switch would work great!Its wireless.