Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but I assume you do not have room for the SRT-4 intake manifold?
    At the time no. With my new intercooler configuration I might have been able to use it but I really like the PT Cruiser intake. It puts the throttle body close to where the 2.5 turbo had it and just works really well for me except the cork in the neck behind the throttle body.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

How about just lopping off the factory bend and adding some nice large bends. You could also switch out the flange for something like a Ford that would allow for a bigger TB.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AzShadow View Post
    not sure if you have an instagram account or not but I thought you would enjoy this

That's pretty cool. The students at my school have told me that pics of my van are all over the place after i took it into our shop, but since i'm trying to stay completely 'hidden' from the student population as far as my internet presence/activities, i havent seen any of them.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    How about just lopping off the factory bend and adding some nice large bends. You could also switch out the flange for something like a Ford that would allow for a bigger TB.
    Lopping off the bend is what I'm probably going to end up doing. I ordered a 2.5" OD 180* 16 gauge aluminum pipe from Columbia River today. Building sides to fill the gap after cutting the top of the bend off is becoming too time consuming. AGP says going larger than 60-62mm on the throttle body becomes a low idle adjustably issues. The 58mm H.O. Grand Caravan throttle body works with my throttle cable, bracket and sensors (not that the sensors really matter because of MS). I do need to get the 58mm throttle body opened up though, it narrows on the inside.

Plan A for my intake manifold mod didn't pan out. It was becoming too time consuming to build the filler to raise the roof of the intake. So I present Plan B:

2 1/2" aluminum pipe. Columbia River only went up to 2 1/4" in 11 gauge so I had to settle for 16 gauge.

The gods were smiling down on me. the 180" bend has the same radius as the intake manifold.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I did it the way I did it was to keep costs low by me doing as much fab work as possible so I didn't have to pay someone else to do what I could do. So I had to leave the support bracket bosses and the throttle body flange in place otherwise I would have had to bring my van down there and pay someone to R&R my intake to mock up the new one. The "ugly" will be underneath so I'm not worried about it.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I did it the way I did it was to keep costs low by me doing as much fab work as possible so I didn't have to pay someone else to do what I could do. So I had to leave the support bracket bosses and the throttle body flange in place otherwise I would have had to bring my van down there and pay someone to R&R my intake to mock up the new one. The "ugly" will be underneath so I'm not worried about it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if you can get SIX duplicate posts!! Just messin' AJ, looks really good ALL 30 photos.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Once it has a coat of paint over it it'll be pretty innocuous.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Do your best to make the transition from the pipe to the"plenum" as smooth as possible. With such a minimal plenum, the middle cylinders may get most of the airflow. Allowing the air to diffuse should help.

Funny thing about the "ugly", once it's done, that part will make it look "factory"!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

God damn 403!

Here is another picture I wanted to post. It's the runner with everything removed except enough for support.

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Do your best to make the transition from the pipe to the"plenum" as smooth as possible. With such a minimal plenum, the middle cylinders may get most of the airflow. Allowing the air to diffuse should help.

Mike
    I plan on it. There is a freeze plug in the bottom of the plenum that will allow me to get inside to smooth out the sides for a smooth transition. Then instead of putting in another freeze plug I'll have the hole welded over.

turbo addict

I'd put a 3" pipe on there. It'd fit better.

turbo addict

I got a 3 inch throttle body.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Might be able to swedge the intake side up to 3"and butt weld it. This will help diffuse the air as it enters the plenum.

The that's something an exahust shop can do for you cheap.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

I got my intake done today.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Looking good! I'm sure flow is vastly improved, youre just gonna go with seat-of-the-pants empiricle testing right You didn't do any flow stuff right? I didn't either with my modded 1 piece 8V Manifold.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Looking good! I'm sure flow is vastly improved, youre just gonna go with seat-of-the-pants empiricle testing right You didn't do any flow stuff right? I didn't either with my modded 1 piece 8V Manifold.
    No I didn't do any flow testing. A 52mm throttle blade got suck in the runner and now it's a true 2.5"/63mm. I'm using a 58mm/2.28" throttle body so it'll flow my needs.

I got my throttle body adaptor installed.

That's sexy right there.

Garrett booster

Looks good I don't think it looks ugly. Who did the welding?????

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Nice payoff! Looks great!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=