Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

turbo addict

Re: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

Perfect.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

My head hurts, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I got the cooling lines plumbed today. I am so glad GLHNSLHT2 talked me into putting the bleed on the intercooler. While filling it up I could see the air pushing out my clear tube to the reservoir. I couldn't put the bleed in the top because the air hose would be in the way. So I drilled it on the side and used a 90* elbow.

The Bosch pump I bought doesn't seem to have the flow I thought it would. I hooked it up to a battery and I can feel the torque. I bought some clear hose to see if it is even flowing. I'm still waiting on my pipe to connect the intercooler to the throttle body and the turbo so I can't test it that way. When I drilled the i.c. I used air to blow out the metal chips and the air wasn't coming out as fast as it was going in so maybe that's why it doesn't seem like it's flowing. I'll check it tomorrow.

Which kit did you buy and didn't it come with the pump? IF so, what pump did you buy?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

I didn't buy a kit, I pieced together what I wanted from frozenboost.com. I got the more expensive Bosch pump over the cheaper bilge pump.

What I bought:

The pump I got:
    http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...dbb3fb1320dcde

Oh, I know you bought there, thought you got a kit. Why did you buy it like that, cheaper?

Those are the same pumps they use in the supercharged Fords, should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Oh, I know you bought there, thought you got a kit. Why did you buy it like that, cheaper?

Those are the same pumps they use in the supercharged Fords, should be fine.
    No, not necessarily. I just wanted the major components from them.

What year supercharged Fords used that pump? I want to look it up on ALLDATA to see how they plumbed it and compare it with mine.

Hybrid booster

i would think that pump would flow like nobodies business

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

It will flow like it is your bizness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    No, not necessarily. I just wanted the major components from them.

What year supercharged Fords used that pump? I want to look it up on ALLDATA to see how they plumbed it and compare it with mine.
    Lightnings I believe, Cobra's for sure.

turbo addict

It flows plenty. What happens when your t-stat breaks and is stuck open? Coolant moves through the radiator too fast and won't cool the engine down. Same thing with these. If the coolant moves too fast through the heat exchanger it won't shed enough heat and your temps will climb.

Simon you can select a kit at frozenboost.com and then option in other pieces to fit your application.

A.J. Looks great. Clear hose is a good idea. The side you picked is good, it's still at the top of the manifold and as you've seen will purge air efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    It flows plenty. What happens when your t-stat breaks and is stuck open? Coolant moves through the radiator too fast and won't cool the engine down. Same thing with these. If the coolant moves too fast through the heat exchanger it won't shed enough heat and your temps will climb.

Simon you can select a kit at frozenboost.com and then option in other pieces to fit your application.

A.J. Looks great. Clear hose is a good idea. The side you picked is good, it's still at the top of the manifold and as you've seen will purge air efficiently.
    I know, just curious why A.J. bought each piece seperately.

So how do you restrict the flow then? Or is the flow at the correct "speed"?

turbo addict

I was just saying if flow is too fast then it won't have time to shed the heat either out of or into the coolant. I'm not sure how fast is too fast. No t-stat or a stuck open on our cars is too fast for highway cruising heat shed. I'd rather have it a bit slow than too fast. I think the bosch pump is a good speed. If it's an OE pump there has to be some research done there on that.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Nope. The way I have it plumbed won't work. The pump can't be mounted upside down the way I have it and I have other problems. I was very close to selling this and going back to an air to air set up. I think I have it figured out now. If not, I'll be selling it cheap.

turbo addict

how'd you have the pump? what other problems? I was referring to just the bleed in my other post.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Nope. The way I have it plumbed won't work. The pump can't be mounted upside down the way I have it and I have other problems. I was very close to selling this and going back to an air to air set up. I think I have it figured out now. If not, I'll be selling it cheap.
    1st dibs,

turbo addict

just a thought you have the pump wired for the correct rotation?

Hybrid booster

I think that we have figured it out. We were trying to use the pump to push through the entire system vs letting gravity do most of the work. He swapped the lines on the heat exchanger and now its pumping just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    I think that we have figured it out. We were trying to use the pump to push through the entire system vs letting gravity do most of the work. He swapped the lines on the heat exchanger and now its pumping just fine.
    Bummer,

So this pump is a giant POS from a fabrication stand point. It needs to be gravity fed and push down preferably, but at a minimum it needs to be gravity fed. I need a reservoir about the size I have with a 3/4" barb coming out the bottom and a 3/4" barb coming in the top for me to make this work. The reason being is the pump is configured completely wrong for what I need. Something is always in the way, bumper mounts, head lights, oil cooler, etc. It took me two days to come up with a way I was happy with (which won't work because it's upside down and won't pump) and another two days doing trial and error and I've gotten nowhere. I went to the junk yard today but everything had a 3/4" barb on the bottom with small vent nipples on top. So depending on which I find first, a reservoir the size I have with two 3/4" barbs or an air to air intercooler 14" wide X 18" long (not including outlets) with 2.5" outlets on the same side running longways will determine the direction I'm going. I'm tired of being pissed off and having a headache from thinking too much.

This is the way I need to plumb it. I'm sure I could figure out another way but I already cut up a $50 box of 3/4" silicone hose. I have one more chance to get it right before I have to buy another 25' box.

This will work also be I don't have the room.

I found a diagram on ALLDATA showing how the BOSCH pump is plumbed on the Mustang. I priced out the SC Mustang reservoir. $130-$160 my cost and they need a VIN which I don't have. Special order only so I can't even go down to see if it would work.