Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

I spent about 3 hours today trying to separate my custom lengthened CV shaft from the intermediate shaft and only moved it about 1/16" after penetrating spray, heat, air chisel, and BFH. The intermediate shaft is mangled and is a lost cause. Hopefully I can still save the CV shaft by cutting the intermediate shaft off. I'm so pi$$ed off at this point I'm ready to scrap the whole f-ing project.

I centered the engine by using one CV shaft and swapping it from one side to the other. Once I got it centered I had to shim the passenger side engine mount an inch and get a longer 5" bolt. I wanted the bolt holes in the center of the mount incase once I get the CV shaft/intermediate shaft apart I need to adjust it some more. I'm not sure how I feel about the bracket being so far away from the mount.

I had to slot the front engine mount bracket to get it centered. Other than that the '98 2.4 N/A Caravan mount worked perfectly.

I think I'm going to have to go with a PT Cruiser intake. I have less than 2" between the throttle body and the radiator. I don't know if anyone makes 1.5" thick fans. I have more room for the condenser fan. I could probably make it work but I really don't want to re-engineer the front (radiator, trans cooler, intercooler) and spend the money on fans when it could be as simple as bolting on a PT Cruiser intake. It has to be an aluminum intake, I don't want a plastic one. Anybody got a lead on one hit me up.

I'm going to have to rework the exhaust manifold. I thought I was going to have enough room but I don't. I'm going to have to talk to my welder about cutting up the already welded one, trim it down, and weld it back together. I'm probably going to have to start from scratch and buy a new flange, elbows, and T's. Balls!

A.J.

turbo addict

Put a grease fitting at the intermediate shaft

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...mediate-shaft&

PT forum says plastic intake is a 10hp + mod...

I don't want plastic. You can't weld, drill, or tap for any add-ons. It's bad enough I'm going to have to use the plastic thermostat housing.

A.J.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

What about turning the TB so the bracket and cam are on top?
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I don't know. I'll look into it but I think after seeing how close everything is, the PT intake is the way to go.

A.J.

turbo addict

Post a WTB, I'm sure you'll find one in AZ.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/index.php

turbo addict
    What about a 2.4 minivan intake with a Plenum on top.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

I have the 2.4 N/A Caravan intake. I thought about it but it looks like crap. I don't want to build a custom plenum. Besides, the lower portion of the 2.4 N/A Caravan intake and the thermostat housing are one unit. I don't want coolant heating up the #1 intake runner. Head designs changed between '00 and '01. I don't think the lower intake would bolt up anyway.

A.J.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Transmission mount swapped from my A413 to the 31TH. The right front engine mount is my '88 poly mount with a Stratus engine bracket with an adaptor I bought from a guy on Neon.org. The front mount (below the radiator) is from the '98 2.4 N/A Caravan I bought for parts. The engine is WAY off to one side. Modification need to be made to the front mount. Stay tuned for updates. I'm jazzed to get this done so updates will be quick and often.

A.J.
    Gotcha.

I centered the engine by using one CV shaft and swapping it from one side to the other. Once I got it centered I had to shim the passenger side engine mount an inch and get a longer 5" bolt. I wanted the bolt holes in the center of the mount incase once I get the CV shaft/intermediate shaft apart I need to adjust it some more. I'm not sure how I feel about the bracket being so far away from the mount.
    You can buy the proper mount on here, I think its www.turbobygod.com but he has a post up about custom mounts.

I think I'm going to have to go with a PT Cruiser intake. I have less than 2" between the throttle body and the radiator. I don't know if anyone makes 1.5" thick fans. I have more room for the condenser fan. I could probably make it work but I really don't want to re-engineer the front (radiator, trans cooler, intercooler) and spend the money on fans when it could be as simple as bolting on a PT Cruiser intake. It has to be an aluminum intake, I don't want a plastic one. Anybody got a lead on one hit me up.

I'm going to have to rework the exhaust manifold. I thought I was going to have enough room but I don't. I'm going to have to talk to my welder about cutting up the already welded one, trim it down, and weld it back together. I'm probably going to have to start from scratch and buy a new flange, elbows, and T's. Balls!

A.J.
    I have a slimline fan by one of the aftermarket guys, sorry, name escaping me, its very thin, maybe 2.0" at the motor then tapers in as I had the same issue as you after modifying my intake. Its literally mm's away from the fan.

Bummer on the exhaust manifold,

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Gotcha.

You can buy the proper mount on here, I think its www.turbobygod.com but he has a post up about custom mounts.

I have a slimline fan by one of the aftermarket guys, sorry, name escaping me, its very thin, maybe 2.0" at the motor then tapers in as I had the same issue as you after modifying my intake. Its literally mm's away from the fan.

Bummer on the exhaust manifold,
    Yeah, but he wants to be more reliable than you!!!
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Yeah, but he wants to be more reliable than you!!!
    LOL, but not sure how proper cooling is less reliable?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Nevermind. Moment was over as soon as you tried to comprehend.
    Bryan

I'll have a PT Cruiser 2.4 turbo ALUMINUM intake tomorrow for $100. If I use the PT intake I can use my intercooler plumbing from my 2.5 which will same me some time. Along with reusing my fans. I can save a lot of time and trouble just switching to the PT intake.

I got the wiring done for the alternator, AC compressor, and a couple of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Linky no worky. I thought I had the proper mount, well not the mount but the bracket that the mount attaches to. That was the one everybody was using when doing the 2.4 swap.

A.J.

turbo addict

I've got a van Intermediate shaft here if you need a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    I've got a van Intermediate shaft here if you need a replacement.
    Thanks for the offer but I have an extra. it's the one I used to mock up the bearing support.

I can reuse my 2.5 RF engine mount and the 2.5/A413 transmission mount but the '98 2.4 Caravan mount is a little tired so I had to get a new one. I filled it to make a semi-solid mount. I figure I'm going to need it because I don't have a rear mount and with the power I'll be laying down (hopefully) I'll need all the support I can get.

Before:

After:

I got my PT GT intake today. Not as cool at the Neon intake put I'll put function over style if it'll save me time and money.

Other accomplishment today:

I got my AC lines removed so I can have the '98 Caravan compressor lines put on.

I got my PS pressure line off to get a custom line made with the '88 rack end and the '98 Caravan PS pump end.

I made a new bracket for the coil. Since I'm using the PT intake I had to lay my coil down instead of having it stand straight up like it was.

A.J.

turbo addict

So you are using both the engine bracket and body bracket off a N/A 2.4 caravan for the front mount?

Install an L body dog bone, easy to do and it really helps,

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    So you are using both the engine bracket and body bracket off a N/A 2.4 caravan for the front mount?
    Yes I am. I'll take a better picture of it but it bolted right up after I slotted the holes a little.

No pictures today. I forgot my camera. I didn't want to torture anybody with my cell phone pics.

I got my high pressure power steering line back today. I forgot that I had to mount the PS reservoir also. Power steering is done.

I got my AC lines back today. AC is done.

I got the PT Cruiser dip stick tube and dip stick. I couldn't use the SRT-4 Neon one. About $12 my cost for both.

I got the rear upper intake support bracket. It didn't come with the used intake. About $6 from the dealer. I don't know if I'm going to get the front lower support bracket. I'm using the heater tubes out of a Stratus and it looks like they're going to be in the way. If I do get it it's only about $11.

I started working on mounting the throttle body. I'll finnish that tomorrow.

A.J.

turbo addict

That passenger's side mount is SCARY! You've got the bolt in single shear and the engine hanging off the end of it basically in a cantilever situation. Not good. I've never liked how the older mounts have that bolt in single shear and in you case having the support so far away from the load (even with a spacer), it just looks like a recipe for a reoccurring failure point, especially the rubber mount. There has to be a better way!

Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast