Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

turbo addict

Re: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

Thanks to Johnl for posting this Ebay add a while back.

see the bleed hole in the top of the water manifold?? Something just like that to run to the small nipple on your reservoir.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I found a place for the intercooler, between the engine and the condenser and radiator fans. This way it won't be covering my beautiful engine, I'll have about 4' of intercooler plumbing, four 45*, and one 20* bend. I have to finnish the upper i.c. support bracket and make a lower support

I also mounted the reservoir bottle. Now it will be the highest point in the system.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Thats got to be an uncommon placement but i like it better than the first one. The plastic tank seems to work nicely where you put it.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

gonna be able to get a hose on the small nipple without the hood hinge hitting it?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    gonna be able to get a hose on the small nipple without the hood hinge hitting it?
    Yes, I have more room than it appears in the picture.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Damn, your working fast.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Damn, your working fast.
    Do I work any other way? Except for the HUGH hiatus in installing the 2.4 but that was because my Ostrich wasn't working with my van (so I thought). Oh, and it's been slow at work so I can work on it during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Keep in mind I have an automatic so even though I may shift it at a certain RPM, the trans is going to shift when it wants.
    Do I work any other way? Except for the HUGH hiatus in installing the 2.4 but that was because my Ostrich wasn't working with my van (so I thought). Oh, and it's been slow at work so I can work on it during the day.
    LOL, yeah, I am slowing down now, have to get some projects done first, then mine.

If you find a Neon DOHC governor setup, that should put your shifts in the sweet zone.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

If you find a Neon DOHC governor setup, that should put your shifts in the sweet zone.
    I'm currently using the governor and weights out of the '98 2.4 Caravan I bought as a donor. Are they close? If not I'll keep my eyes open or if you have part numbers I can order the weights.

I'm currently using the governor and weights out of the '98 2.4 Caravan I bought as a donor. Are they close? If not I'll keep my eyes open or if you have part numbers I can order the weights.
    Not sure, what is the redline for the van? I think the Neon is around 62-6300 stock so its a nice setup for us.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Not sure, what is the redline for the van? I think the Neon is around 62-6300 stock so its a nice setup for us.
    I think I have it set at 6500 RPM.

I think I have it set at 6500 RPM.
    Perfect,

I got the lower intercooler mount done. I had to make it a two-piece bracket because of all the bends I had to make.

With intercooler removed looking down from the top.

Looking from the drivers side to the passenger side.

Looking from the passenger side to the drivers side.

I got my intercooler in/out temp gauge wired and mounted today. I haven't mounted the sensors yet because I'm waiting on the intercooler pipes.

This is how I think I'm going to run the cooler lines. Everything in the picture is at about the height it sits in the van. I haven't plumbed it or mounted the pump yet. The heat exchanger is the highest point in the system. That's why it has the air bleed.

Here is a blank one incase anybody wants to try and submit their own idea.

turbo addict

No, you need to drill the highest point of the intercooler water manifold just like on that i/c I posted. That's where the air get's trapped, in the intercooler. That's where you don't want the air. And you want it on the exit side of the water manifold. So the water comes into the intercooler and water and any air get's pushed out to the reservoir and to the pump. Air won't get stuck in the heat exchanger with the way you have it mounted which is a good thing.

My concern is when/where in the system does pressure become suction. I'm not a fluid dynamics expert so I'm concerned that if I put a bleed in above barb #5 (in the diagram on the intercooler), could it suck in air because where it connects on the reservoir it's above the water line.

turbo addict

Suction will be after the outlet of the intercooler manifold. As the water flows into the intercooler it's pressure will drop as it has more space to fill. Then the pressure will rise on the other side as it tries to squeeze out the outlet and to the pump. So you drill the bleed in the manifold on the outlet side JUST LIKE THE PICTURE!!!! and it'll push coolant through the little nipple. Also coolant will want to be falling out the bottom of the reservoir due to gravity so you should have a little pressure there helping with the suction side of the pump.

These motors are all about fluid dynamics. I'm not an expert either but I do know a thing or two and try to learn more to make my engine perform at it's best at the boost level I want to run.

Hybrid booster

idk why i'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around this right now but when i had my Rule pump mounted in an external tank it flowed so much i think it would be very difficult for any air to get trapped in there. your setup is a little different however

Hybrid booster

here is a vid of it in action

turbo addict

This isn't rocket science, all we're basically doing is copying how the coolant system works with a pressurized overflow system. My g/f's liberty has the exact same setup. Air can get trapped in the intercooler. My friend and I started out with no reservoir on the system. The i/c would get warm on back to back runs. Adding the bleed tube and reservoir gave the air some place to go other than into the intercooler. Without the reservoir and bleed we were very careful on how we filled the system. Holding the i/c straight up with a hose on the end till water poured out of both ends of the system and then connecting them really quick. Still air was trapped and circulating throughout the system. With the reservoir and bleed filling the system is a snap and the system is full and with no air in about 5 minutes. Volume of flow doesn't mean much if there's a high spot where air can get trapped.

Okay, I finally figured out where/how I'm going to mount the water pump. With GLHNSLHT2 advice, I came up with a new hose routing. Hopefulley I'll get it plumbed and put some detailed pictures up.