Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

turbo addict

Re: '04 SRT-4 engine in an '88 Caravan build

odd, we started with no reservoir and the pump at the very top of the loop and it pulled water up that high as it was mounted on top of the strut tower. We just couldn't get all the air out but there was plenty of flow. After adding the reservoir the pump is mounted behind the bumper at the bottom of the grill. Water is fed from the outlet of the i/c and the big nipple of the reservoir, they are T'd before entering the pump. Exiting the pump the water travels up to the top of the heat exchanger and then goes down through it as it was easiest to bend the hose to get to the 90 degree inlet on the heat exchanger. We're using the Type 117 exchanger in the same position you are. It then exits the bottom of the heat exchanger and goes through the firewall to the inlet of the i/c where the process starts all over again. Our reservoir is mounted to the upper radiator support in front of the accessory belts. Where is your windshield washer fluid bottle since your reservoir is mounted where our windshield washer fluid is??

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    odd, we started with no reservoir and the pump at the very top of the loop and it pulled water up that high as it was mounted on top of the strut tower. We just couldn't get all the air out but there was plenty of flow. After adding the reservoir the pump is mounted behind the bumper at the bottom of the grill. Water is fed from the outlet of the i/c and the big nipple of the reservoir, they are T'd before entering the pump. Exiting the pump the water travels up to the top of the heat exchanger and then goes down through it as it was easiest to bend the hose to get to the 90 degree inlet on the heat exchanger. We're using the Type 117 exchanger in the same position you are. It then exits the bottom of the heat exchanger and goes through the firewall to the inlet of the i/c where the process starts all over again. Our reservoir is mounted to the upper radiator support in front of the accessory belts. Where is your windshield washer fluid bottle since your reservoir is mounted where our windshield washer fluid is??
    I don't have a windshield washer bottle since it doesn't rain here. It just takes up space. I don't see how that has any influence on the operation of my system. What type of vehicle did you install the system you are describing? I can T in the reservoir and the i.c. return but the brass T with an elbow soldered to it on the end of the pump takes up too much room.

turbo addict

was just curious about the bottle. It's all in an 89 Turbo Minivan with an 8v 2.5.

Mitsu booster

The pump doesn't have to be in the lowest spot. If you have it push the water through the exchanger then through the intercooler, it will continue to push the water back to the pump. I can assure you, the pump will move the water just fine. have a little faith . I'm runnin my van just fine with this setup and I love it. Works awesome!

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Although low is good. I wouldn't suggest the highest spot thats for sure.

I got the liquid part of my air to water intercooler figured out and done. I still think this pump is a POS and if I do another air to water intercooler this pump will not be used. In the end I needed two bleeds, one at the top of the intercooler and one at the top (inlet) of the heat exchanger.

Here is a link showing how much water is flowing out of the intercooler.
    http://s42.photobucket.com/user/theb...0cf57.mp4.html

Time to reopen this thread. I have some big upgrades I'm doing over the summer to have it ready for winter when it cools off. I'm trying to reach 400 horse power/low 12's on the stock engine. Then I'm going to look for another block to build it to handle 500 hp/11.5 seconds (I'm not putting a roll cage in it so thats my limit).

Upgrades I'm doing this round:
    1) Large 1995 2nd gen Caravan radiator and AC condenser. I'm tired of this thing running hot in the summer time and AC being "adequate."
    2) Larger AWIC. The one I have now is good for 350 horsepower and according to the 1/4 mile calculator in MPTune I'm at 330. The one I'm installing is good for 600 horsepower.
    3) Mega Squirt. I want to get away from a distributor and single coil. I also at some point want to attempt a 4 speed swap and use Mega Shift for the TCM.
    4) Plate heat exchanger to cool off my AWIC water with the AC. Another reason for the larger parallel flow AC condenser. I got the idea for this from rgl10 and his build thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-testbed-build.

I started the radiator/condenser swap. I had to build new radiator supports.

I had to remove some metal to fit the radiator/condenser from a 2nd gen van into a 1st gen van.

I had to relocate my AWIC heat exchanger to the center so I can tuck the rad/cond assembly under the core support as much as possible.

It sticks out into the engine compartment more than I'd like but I still have gobbs of room between the engine and radiator.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Very cool.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Very cool.
    That's the idea!!!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Hate to say "I told you so" on getting the bigger i/c

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

If you did, you wouldn't have said it.....hehehe.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Yes you did but at the time my goal was 13's and I had a much smaller turbo. But it's not a loss, the one I'm taking out is going into my Dad's turbo wagon because with the T-II radiator and a large FMIC it runs between 220*-230*. With the AWIC I'll be able to run a full size radiator.

I got the lower support for the intercooler built. I'm not sure if I'm going to build an upper support since there's the upper an lower intercooler hoses to assist in holding it in place. We'll see.

I almost had the fan shroud done today but Jon Trotter showed up early for me to fix his girlfriend's AC and F'd that all up so here is just a teaser pic.

Hybrid booster

lookin good

I've been working on this pretty regularly, so much so I haven't had time to take any pictures.

I got my fan shroud done, last week actually. I made it so it will attach to the factory mounts on the '95 radiator in case I ever need to replace the radiator on the road. I'm really happy with the way the frame came out. The mounting brackets not so much. They're kind of Frankensteinish but unless I had them welded on I don't think they'd look much better. I'm using a two speed Volvo fan, the same one I used on my Dakota and Dad's wagon. I forgot what a piece of crap the '94-'95 Dodge fan is. The motor has a very small shaft and an adaptor to connect the fan motor to the blade. Well that adaptor is made out of a soft metal that the tiny motor shaft digs into it and rounds it out. The motor is available and the fan assembly is available, but that adaptor is not. Even if I wanted to use it I couldn't because I needed to shift the fan to the passenger side to make room for the intercooler.

I moved my battery tray over since the SMEC is gone now. It's a little flimsy. I'm going to have to do a little reinforcing.

I found a 58mm throttle body in the junk yard. It was $40 and they had two more. It's not a true 58mm bore. I need to find some one to hone/port it so it's closer to a true 58mm

The 58mm on top of my 54mm

I've got some porting on my intake to do.

I spent 8 hours yesterday and two hours today cleaning up my wiring. That didn't even include aproximatly another eight hours separating the engine harness (engine controls) from the body harness (body controls). I eliminated ALL of my fusible links and took all my added fuses and relays from added accessories into one power distribution center out of a 95 Caravan.

I built a mounting plate for my Mega Squirt, ignition module, and injector peak & hold module. They're going to live behind my center console inside the van for two reasons: 1) I want to keep my engine bay cleaner and 2) Computers and electronics like to stay cool.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I've been working on this pretty regularly, so much so I haven't had time to take any pictures.

I got my fan shroud done, last week actually. I made it so it will attach to the factory mounts on the '95 radiator in case I ever need to replace the radiator on the road. I'm really happy with the way the frame came out. The mounting brackets not so much. They're kind of Frankensteinish but unless I had them welded on I don't think they'd look much better. I'm using a two speed Volvo fan, the same one I used on my Dakota and Dad's wagon. I forgot what a piece of crap the '94-'95 Dodge fan is. The motor has a very small shaft and an adaptor to connect the fan motor to the blade. Well that adaptor is made out of a soft metal that the tiny motor shaft digs into it and rounds it out. The motor is available and the fan assembly is available, but that adaptor is not. Even if I wanted to use it I couldn't because I needed to shift the fan to the passenger side to make room for the intercooler.

...other meaningless information....
    Seriously, you DON'T need to thank me AJ for helping you get this shroud done. No, stop it, I was just there and helped the best I could to help you get to the point you did. I'm glad we're close man!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Seriously, you DON'T need to thank me AJ for helping you get this shroud done. No, stop it, I was just there and helped the best I could to help you get to the point you did. I'm glad we're close man!

Good one Trotter. You know AJ, always out there to give people their due

I will murder you right in the face! This is the thanks I get for saving your girlfriend, that you abandoned in the desert so you can jet-set across the country, BOATLOADS of money on her AC even after your f-d up half-assed diagnosis. You get to speak when your ---- is running right.

On a more productive note....

I got my command center mounted. From top to bottom, Mega Squirt 3 with MS3X, peak & hold driver (to run sequentially, low impedance injectors on high impedance drivers), and ignition module.

I started wiring today. Turned out I needed to notch my '98 N/A 2.4 Caravan front mount for the front crank sensor plug since this came on an engine where the crank sensor was on the back of the engine.

Hybrid booster

Looks good brother, moving right along. My EMS-4 kicked me in the balls again with connection issues.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshelbys View Post
    Good one Trotter. You know AJ, always out there to give people their due
    hehe I know he tries.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I will murder you right in the face! This is the thanks I get for saving your girlfriend, that you abandoned in the desert so you can jet-set across the country, BOATLOADS of money on her AC even after your f-d up half-assed diagnosis. You get to speak when your ---- is running right.

On a more productive note....

I got my command center mounted. From top to bottom, Mega Squirt 3 with MS3X, peak & hold driver (to run sequentially, low impedance injectors on high impedance drivers), and ignition module.

I started wiring today. Turned out I needed to notch my '98 N/A 2.4 Caravan front mount for the front crank sensor plug since this came on an engine where the crank sensor was on the back of the engine.

You know you want me to stop by and talk. I'll come over Monday!!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

You know you want me to stop by and talk. I'll come over Monday!!
    Wednesday would be better. I'm slammed.