I finally landed a SRT-4 engine. It was turned in as a core to an import junk yard I use to work at. The manager knew I was looking for one. He set it aside and called me. I tore it down and inside is flawless. I got the block magna fluxed and the head pressure checked and both are okay. From what I can tell they never changed there oil because it was black. The top of the pistons were coated with thick gooey carbon so either the oil rings stop doing their job or the turbo was letting oil in the intake track. Either way I score an $800 motor for $250.

After the parts washer:

After a little love:

Number four rod and number five main bearings:

Number four rod and number five main bearing journals:

I plan on using an automatic transmission. Either from a 2.4 Caravan or a Neon. Preferably from a Caravan. I'm hoping the Caravan trans with have stronger internals. If not I have an A/T out of a '88 T-I Daytona that cooked the front clutch I can rob the beefier internals from.

I'm going to keep the stock '89 SMEC I have in it now. My 'puter is socketed and I just got an Ostrich.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for an exhaust or intake manifold. I heard the SRT intakes hit the auto tranny so I might go with the 2.4 Caravan intake.

While I was waiting for for the block to get back I cleaned up the valve cover. It was in an engine compartment fire. I was afraid of getting glass bead stuck in the baffles so I had to remove them. I ground down the peaned over aluminum, removed the sheet metal, drilled and taped new holes.

I’m in the process of porting the head. More to come.

A.J.