Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: T-III Reliability improvement

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: T-III Reliability improvement

The kits pop up on Ebay but you don't need the kit, just get 8 valve stuff, cheaper too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thanks Ken, Jackson for the replies.

Jackson, similar to what Ondonti said I can't think that measuring the tension after the belt has stripped the teeth around the crankshaft could come up with a good number for what belt tension was previously. Whenever I've had belts fail they've been missing all the teeth around the crankshaft --- not having those teeth I'd think would relieve a bunch of the pressure on the whole belt and make the tension read much lower.

Anyway, I'm going to try to fit a idler to the front of my 8v accessory setup today, I think the alternator bracket might have a spot where that would work.

turbo addict

why do that on the 8 valve? this isnt an issue on them. For whatever reason.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by omnigoestohell View Post
    Thanks Ken, Jackson for the replies.

Jackson, similar to what Ondonti said I can't think that measuring the tension after the belt has stripped the teeth around the crankshaft could come up with a good number for what belt tension was previously. Whenever I've had belts fail they've been missing all the teeth around the crankshaft --- not having those teeth I'd think would relieve a bunch of the pressure on the whole belt and make the tension read much lower.

Anyway, I'm going to try to fit a idler to the front of my 8v accessory setup today, I think the alternator bracket might have a spot where that would work.
    I think Jackson is talking about when the gears strip on the I-shaft/oil pump. He checks the tension before he takes it apart, and find that they are too loose. I dont think he is talking about a stripped timing belt.

turbo addict

your right lengel, thats exactly whats being discussed here. If omnigoes is indeed talking about stripped teeth on a tbelt its usually cus the thing is old and needs to be replaced haha. Not i shaft failure. I have seen teeth missing on tbelts. And its a matter of old belt. OR of course teeth on cam.crank gears being damaged causing tearing of the belt.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by lengel View Post
    I think Jackson is talking about when the gears strip on the I-shaft/oil pump. He checks the tension before he takes it apart, and find that they are too loose. I dont think he is talking about a stripped timing belt.
    yep thats what I meant.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    why do that on the 8 valve? this isnt an issue on them. For whatever reason.
    This is the T3 forum of course! I guess to most guys in this forum the concept of running 8v accessories on a T3 motor is not on the top of their head. I didn't get my 8v alt bracket idler mocked up the other day but hopefully will get to do it soon.

Thanks for the clarification Jackson on meaning the oil pump gear. My brain was thinking timing belts because thats what I went through the most of.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just bumping this because it's a great thread in case someone else like myself, missed it...

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

How did I miss out on all of Ken's great posts in this thread??? Just finding it now....
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Good thread.

This is what I have done to my R/T to help it's reliability. Though I would like to note I've owned this car since 1998 and other than shifter bushings and an SBEC that was installed right after purchase, the head gasket I installed last fall was the first major work I've had to do to it. Now granted I've put about 15k on the car during my ownership and don't drive it daily, but when it does come out it tends to go on extended drives.

1. Titanium retainers
    2. Wrap 02 wires in thermal tape. Also made a little heat barrier out of bar stock that the 02 wires now lay across. It attaches using the air box nuts/bolts.
    3. New timing belt. Bought a belt tension gauge and set belt tension at 95lbs per Jackson's recommendation. Also it is important to re-check belt tension after installing a new belt because the belt stretches. I initially set my belt at 100 thinking it would stretch and go down to 95, after driving for a bit I was surprised to see tension had dropped to 80.
    4. New outer intermediate shaft bearing. Ideally I would have replaced the inner as well when I did this but it's a bit tough to do in car and my outer was just starting to flake and not that bad. If your outer is bad def replace both. This is something all T3 owners should check if it has not been done.
    5. Cometic head gasket with ARP studs. The stock gasket tends to leak at back corner.
    6. Poly shifter bushings - stock ones tend to fall apart over the years.
    7. Used Carroll's idea for the GM Vortec V6 valve cover gaskets.

My car still has the stock vacuum lines on it, I was really careful when I removed them to do the head gasket and they are in good shape. I wanted to keep the car original, otherwise I would have gone to a vacuum block set up like I did on my 86 GLHS.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Thread rez for great info
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345