Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: T-III Reliability improvement

turbo addict

T-III Reliability improvement

I am picking up a spirit r/t this week and would like to know any tips you might have to help the reliability. The last one we had we sold cause we got sick of fixing it. Such as head gaskets leaking the head itself leaking, intermediate shaft problems etc.

Does anyone have links of info on how to help these be more reliable?

boostaholic

Re: T-III Reliability improvement

make sure you get a belt tension gauge, tension is critical on TIIIs. Ebay is a good source for them. As far as the head leaking check in the valley between the core plugs(especially between the 2nd and 3rd). Usually if the HG is leaking the most common spots are the rear left side of the head and the right side of the head between the to cam pulleys as far as I'm concerned. I'd def. get a cometic HG on it asap if it doesnt have one already, especially if your looking to run more boost. LMK if you have any other questions..I'm sure Jackson will even be posting in here soon as well

BTW we must have pics of this ASAP

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I bought my Spirit R/T back in '03. It's the same one you saw when I went down to SLC to pick up that shortblock. Anyway, after I bought it I tore the drivetrain out, completely went over the whole drivetrain, new gaskets, seals, clutch, motor mounts etc....didn't get too crazy on mods but I did add a ported exhaust manifold, 3" exhaust (no cat), LWP stage I cams, Ti retainers, FWDP lifters, and a TurboXS BOV. The car has been VERY reliable. I put about 1100 miles on the car the day I went to SLC....pretty much drove right back and the car never had a hiccup.

In the last five years I've put a LOT of miles on the car, mostly delivering pizza. As far as failures in that time, I had a timing belt tensioner failure that took out some other parts on a long road trip to buy my white Spirit R/T. Thankfully Adam Lengel makes a really nice tensioner that is rebuildable. I've also gone through a few clutch cables (stock clutch), had to totally redo my battery cables due to corrosion, and a timing belt which was probably the result of my tensioner failure. Oh and shifter cables, probably 3-4 of those. The aftermarket ones just aren't as tough as the original Mopar ones it seems.

Other than that, the titanium valve spring retainers should help belt life. The lifters that FWDP sells are also very nice and actually stay together while you assemble them unlike the stockers that usually fall apart and fall into the head. Unfortunately the lifters are pretty expensive so I would only replace them if yours are already falling apart. FWDP also sells modified stock retainers that accomplish the same thing as the Ti retainers (lower valve spring pressure) but are chromoly and less expensive.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    make sure you get a belt tension gauge, tension is critical on TIIIs. Ebay is a good source for them. As far as the head leaking check in the valley between the core plugs(especially between the 2nd and 3rd). Usually if the HG is leaking the most common spots are the rear left side of the head and the right side of the head between the to cam pulleys as far as I'm concerned. I'd def. get a cometic HG on it asap if it doesnt have one already, especially if your looking to run more boost. LMK if you have any other questions..I'm sure Jackson will even be posting in here soon as well

BTW we must have pics of this ASAP
    whats a good price for a belt tension gauge? I have seen those leaking spots, this head was re-done 16k ago and driven by an old man so i hope it still is good
    Why should i go cometic? I heard the surfaced has to have a very fine surface to work, and i know a bunch of 8v guys hate the cometic and say that the MP gasket works much better, I am guessing you think different for the T3s.

For sure i will post pics when i get it home

boostaholic

you want to get a gauge like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Belt-...motiveQ5fTools

i have one that is similar that id maybe sell if you want it.
    As far as the cometic goes it is a must in my opinion for TIIIs when it comes to running big boost. When i got my first spirit r/t i ran 15psi with a stock HG and blew it within 500 miles. I installed a Cometic on it and ran 18-20psi all day and never had any trouble since. And yes you do want a nice fine smooth surface on both the head and block to get the best seal..be sure to use a feeler gauge to check the surfaces of both the head and block.

Can't wait to see those pics man Is the Spirit a 91 or 92?

turbo addict

swap in a T1
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

And yes you do want a nice fine smooth surface on both the head and block to get the best seal..be sure to use a feeler gauge to check the surfaces of both the head and block.

Can't wait to see those pics man Is the Spirit a 91 or 92?
    91 White What do you mean by use a feeler gauge? AFAIK a feeler gauge is used to measure a gap between 2 things how would i use it to check it the head is "fine" enough to use a cometic?

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    swap in a T1
    LOL thats what my dad used to say when he got sick of fixing his R/T, but the top end power of a 16v just is to hard for me to get rid of.
    Thanks Guys!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    91 White What do you mean by use a feeler gauge? AFAIK a feeler gauge is used to measure a gap between 2 things how would i use it to check it the head is "fine" enough to use a cometic?

LOL thats what my dad used to say when he got sick of fixing his R/T, but the top end power of a 16v just is to hard for me to get rid of.
    Thanks Guys!
    what i did was took a straight edge and used a feeler gauge between that and the deck..it seemed to work pretty good..Sorry, i should have clarified that lol

boostaholic

swap in a T1
    ugghhhh noooooo

boostaholic

Just for the record I drive TIII cars everyday. Thats all I have to say....

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Yeah thats my plan too, I trust them i just want to do preventitive things so it is even more reliable, i think we just had a bad string of problems like any car can have. But now with more knowledge it should work better!

turbo addict

But now with more knowledge it should work better!

thats what i tell myself year after year.

how about a neon head? do a hybird, or is that a even worse can of worms.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

thats what i tell myself year after year.

how about a neon head? do a hybird, or is that a even worse can of worms.
    if everything is done right the first time TIII's can be more reliable than 8 valves

turbo addict

if everything is done right the first time TIII's can be more reliable than 8 valves
    again i believe it there are many 12 sec T3s that are driven regularly, this is why i am going to get one, Heading up there in about 10 mins

boostaholic

again i believe it there are many 12 sec T3s that are driven regularly, this is why i am going to get one, Heading up there in about 10 mins
    shwweettt cant wait to see it

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Is that why you need so many of them?

I do like the timing idler modification Jackson does, that looks like it would help belt life and possibly be easier on the intermediate shaft as well.

That and making sure the 02 sensor wiring is routed away from the exhaust pipes are a few things you can do improve reliability.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

And he works on them all the time too!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    And he works on them all the time too!
    Actually I havent opened the hood on my DD for some time now. I wonder if it still has any oil left in it......

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Actually I havent opened the hood on my DD for some time now. I wonder if it still has any oil left in it......
    LMAO!!! The way you build them, it probably wouldn't hurt it.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    LMAO!!! The way you build them, it probably wouldn't hurt it.
    he doesnt need anymore of an ego boost

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast