Thread: ANyone running the long runner stratus intake on their 2.4?

turbo addict

ANyone running the long runner stratus intake on their 2.4?

Im in a tight spot money-wise and so close to finishing up my project. I really wanted to build a custom aluminum intake manifold but im lacking funds. I could build my own steel plenum and mate it to 2.0 DOHC runners. Or.....im thinking about just hogging the stratus intake out to accept my 58mm T.B. and go with that for a while. Would this be a royaly sucky choice? Im running a GT30R turbo and I am converned about the intake's breathing ability at high RPMs. THen again, if its no good, im not really out anything but the time it takes to fab up the IC pipe. Any suggestions?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Re: ANyone running the long runner stratus intake on their 2.4?

Why not go with the 2.0 short runner and a custom plenum?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Darkapollo View Post
    Why not go with the 2.0 short runner and a custom plenum?
    Well, thats what im saying.....if I go 2.0 intake, I really dont have the cash to have a plenum made up right now. So, either I would have to make one myself out of steel (using the MIG) or use the stock plenum. (Or look into rigging up the MIG welder to weld aluminum). Im just exploring my options right now.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Doesn't Rob P have a stratus intake on his car?

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Well, thats what im saying.....if I go 2.0 intake, I really dont have the cash to have a plenum made up right now. So, either I would have to make one myself out of steel (using the MIG) or use the stock plenum. (Or look into rigging up the MIG welder to weld aluminum). Im just exploring my options right now.
    Its not hard to run a mig and aluminum.
    I think short runner 2 piece with a custom plenum would be better for turbo applications then the long runner.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnLooker View Post
    Doesn't Rob P have a stratus intake on his car?
    I think he has a stock (or stock appearing) Neon 2.0 intake.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Beeing you i'd just make a steel plenum and mate to the runners you already have...run this for now. I'd also fabricate some kind of support bracket, something like turboshad did to his intake.

Later, when funds are available, TIG an aluminum intake.

It's a piece of cake to change an intake on the 2.4 and you'll be able to finish your car now.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Mine started as a stratus intake... before it accidental fell into the band saw!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Its not hard to run a mig and aluminum.
    I think short runner 2 piece with a custom plenum would be better for turbo applications then the long runner.
    I was looking into it a bit and it looks like there is more to it that just changing the spool of wire. I read you should change the feed rollers and some other parts so that the softer wire doesnt get jammed. Did you get away with just changing the wire? I might call my welding supply co. and ask about it.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I think he has a stock (or stock appearing) Neon 2.0 intake.
    Anyone know if the stock 2.0 intake fits with the front mounted alternator (like on the stratus/caravan)?

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post

It's a piece of cake to change an intake on the 2.4 and you'll be able to finish your car now.
    Kind of what I was thinking. I just have to fab up one IC pipe, but I would be able to get it running right away and then change it later.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Mine started as a stratus intake... before it accidental fell into the band saw!
    I was thinking about going that route too....cut the intake off about 3-4" past the flange and weld on the old fire extinguisher.....thats a possibility.

I was looking into it a bit and it looks like there is more to it that just changing the spool of wire. I read you should change the feed rollers and some other parts so that the softer wire doesnt get jammed. Did you get away with just changing the wire? I might call my welding supply co. and ask about it.
    We switch from steel/copper welding wire to aluminum in about 2 minutes.
    Change the spool, change the feed speed, change the wire tention (the welder we use has a spring tentioner like on a car, but the spring is adjustable) and change the voltage and polarity.
    Your welder might be different though, IIRC the one we use is a Lincoln Electric 140amp

turbo addict

Anyone know if the stock 2.0 intake fits with the front mounted alternator (like on the stratus/caravan)?
    Pretty sure it fits w/o issue

I think Rob and others just extend the plenum by 2" or so to gain volume

turbo addict

We switch from steel/copper welding wire to aluminum in about 2 minutes.
    Change the spool, change the feed speed, change the wire tention (the welder we use has a spring tentioner like on a car, but the spring is adjustable) and change the voltage and polarity.
    Your welder might be different though, IIRC the one we use is a Lincoln Electric 140amp
    Gotcha. Our MIG is set up with a similar tensioner so maybe I can get away with that. So is the feel similar to mig welding steel? Or will it require a bit of practice to get it right? How do voltage and wire speed differ?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    Pretty sure it fits w/o issue

I think Rob and others just extend the plenum by 2" or so to gain volume
    Hmmm.....that wouldnt be too hard. If it bolts right in adding the plenum would be fairly easy, especially if I could rig up the MIG to do the welding.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

If it fits I would run the 2.0 intake for the shorter runners (At least I think they are, I may be blowing smoke here). You can kind of take steps with it to upgrade the plenum too like stock to steel bolt on to aluminum bolt on to short runner aluminum welded. There's my 2 cents.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    If it fits I would run the 2.0 intake for the shorter runners (At least I think they are, I may be blowing smoke here). You can kind of take steps with it to upgrade the plenum too like stock to steel bolt on to aluminum bolt on to short runner aluminum welded. There's my 2 cents.
    I think thats what im gonna do. I gotta get me a 2.0 intake now.

Gotcha. Our MIG is set up with a similar tensioner so maybe I can get away with that. So is the feel similar to mig welding steel? Or will it require a bit of practice to get it right? How do voltage and wire speed differ?
    It requires A LOT of practice to set up and weld right. You need lower amp and fast feed rate because the aluminum melts at a much lower temp then steel. If the feed is too slow it will glob up and stick, if the amps are too high you will burn right through.
    Once you figure out where your feed/amp settings are, you dont have to mess with it after that.
    Like Pat said though, some times it DOES jam. We have gotten around that by having the welder in a straight line to the gun so there are no turns or bends in the hose.

turbo addict

It requires A LOT of practice to set up and weld right. You need lower amp and fast feed rate because the aluminum melts at a much lower temp then steel. If the feed is too slow it will glob up and stick, if the amps are too high you will burn right through.
    Once you figure out where your feed/amp settings are, you dont have to mess with it after that.
    Like Pat said though, some times it DOES jam. We have gotten around that by having the welder in a straight line to the gun so there are no turns or bends in the hose.
    Thanks. I might order up some aluminum wire and play around with it.