Thread: 360 Turbo build up for 700HP

Mitsu booster

360 Turbo build up for 700HP

What should I do for a single turbo build up of my 360? I dont have a problem with money but im a little inexperienced. Im looking for about 700HP and the turbo I have is 67mm...Any ideas on what I can do? I was also thinking of a magnum head conversion or should I just go with aftermarket without the oil pushrod issue? oh by the way its going in my 1972 plymouth satellite.

turbo addict

Re: 360 Turbo build up for 700HP

Welcome to the board!! There are lots of great people here and quite a few have experience with V8's that are turbo'd.

The most important thing to remember is to intercool the turbo as this will prevent detonation and bad things from happening. Also, make sure that you try and plan for the fuel system too because if it runs lean, then you'll be picking up pieces. Is this for a carbed or injected setup? What are the specs on the turbo itself? Maybe a model/pic of the turbo would be helpful to let us know what you have as well. 67mm is kinda vague if the rest of the info isn't there...

Again, welcome and be sure to check out other posts by searching "V8 turbo" here.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    welcome to the board!! There are lots of great people here and quite a few have experience with v8's that are turbo'd.

The most important thing to remember is to intercool the turbo as this will prevent detonation and bad things from happening. Also, make sure that you try and plan for the fuel system too because if it runs lean, then you'll be picking up pieces. Is this for a carbed or injected setup? What are the specs on the turbo itself? Maybe a model/pic of the turbo would be helpful to let us know what you have as well. 67mm is kinda vague if the rest of the info isn't there...

Again, welcome and be sure to check out other posts by searching "v8 turbo" here.
    do not let this guy touch your car
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

How much boost do you want to run to make that 700hp? 700WHP, or crank HP?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Mitsu booster

Alright guys so I havent decided what intake system to go with yet as both would be expensive...changing over to fuel injection would be great and easier for a turbo application I believe but im not sure if the $1000 carb and bonnet setup would work just fine also. The turbo I now want to use is this... GT-40 which can handle up to 750HP and the A/R ratio is .94, 1.34. I'm not sure on the boost but anywhere from 15 to 20 PSI I'm guessing. And for the fuel system I'm putting in all new lines and relocating the fuel cell to the trunk as well as a nice Holley electric fuel pump. It shouldn't have any problems getting fuel. Also if I were to use a carb it would be the Barry Grant mighty demon 750 blow thru carb and a pro extreme bonnet. And of course it will be an air-air intercooler running through it. I'm a big stickler when it comes to heat...because I know heat is a huge silent killer! Also I'm currently trying to decide which gearing I should go with for the ring and pinion in the rear end...I want something that will still give me torque but also be able to go into the high speeds and rpms where the turbos kick in...any ideas on that or should I post a new thread in drivetrain?

turbo addict

You should give yourself A pretty high gear ratio. I would say a 3.55 gear, or 3.21 .The more load you have the quicker the turbo will spool, and power will be applied for a longer period. I had a 3.55 gear in my dakota with my turbo setup and it was a great match up.

You can get 600-700hp out of the magnum, with ported mopar heads, and a different cam, but not the stock stuff. I probally had around 400 in my 318, that was with the stock heads and cam, and 12psi. Enough to push it high 12's down the stretch.

Mitsu booster

Well for sure its not going to be stock...when you say "ported mopar heads" are you referring to the W2,W5,W9 heads? I was thinking of a pretty high lift cam because I heard turbo's love them. do you think 3.55's would have enough torque to get up quick enough?

turbo addict

You were talking about converting to a magnum, as in the newer truck engines. The mopar R/T heads are magnum heads. Different than the older "w" stuff...I say stick with what you got.

Mitsu booster

Oh ok sorry I thought for some reason you were talking about different heads then the magnums. Yeah I think im gonna stick with the magnums...How much porting do you think I can do without having the chance of warping them under the heat?