Thread: Best stock brakes 85 Laser

Hybrid booster

Best stock brakes 85 Laser

I am looking to perform yet another brake job on my 85 laser. I have been using the knechts auto parts rotors that seem to warp severely after one hard stop and the front wheels turn all reddish brown after a couple of weeks of driving. The factory Chrysler rotors never gave me a pulsing brake pedal.

After doing 3 brake jobs in the last 1.5 years, this time I want to do it right. Where should I get the best replacement rotors at? Will I have to go to the wrecking yard and find some factory Chrysler ones to regrind? Also are the ceramic pads on tirerack.com any good?

turbo addict

Re: Best stock brakes 85 Laser

many pulsing brake peadals are not the fault of the rotor. and they usually arent warped. What usually causes it is inproper break-in and cheap brake pads(also the culprit for dust). What happens is that the first time you use the brakes it heats up and then when you come to a stop material from the pads is deposited onto the rotors. When this happens you get a thick spot and you get a pulse in your pedal.

Next time you replace the brakes and you break them in do 4-5 "stops" from 35mph but *DO NOT* come to a complete stop. this will burnish in your breaks and you shouldnt have any problem.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Best stock brakes 85 Laser

I got the regular ProStop rotors from PepBoys for my Acclaim and they warped in short order. I exchanged them for the ProStop Platinum rotors with ceramic pads and they have been quiet and pulse-free for over 10,000 miles so far.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=