Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration under accel

Hybrid booster

Exclamation Vibration under accel

So I have everything rebuilt in the front end of my car, new axles, new ball joints, new inner and outter tie rods, new engine and tranny mounts, and it was all great and dandy but now I have a pretty bad vibration under accel, I have been pretty hard on it, but could the engine not be centerd in there? How do I check becasue I never did when I replaced the mounts?

boostaholic

Re: Vibration under accel

remove the axel nuts and push the stubs in as hard as you can and measure how far each side goes in

its centered when both sides of the axle goes in equally

Hybrid booster

ok, is there a set distance I should be looking for? and how do you move the engine from side to side? what mount do I need to lousen?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 87yorker View Post
    ok, is there a set distance I should be looking for? and how do you move the engine from side to side? what mount do I need to lousen?
    yeah the set distance is equal lol

and you loosen the pass mount and the front mount but you gotta loosen the front mount plate not just the mount ya kno the one with the slotted holes

Hybrid booster

Ok thanks man, and it dosent matter that the car will be jacked up with the tires off right

boostaholic

idk... i hope not cuz thats how i did mine lol

turbo addict

dont forget to make sure you put the front engine mount (the one at the rad support) the right way. by that i mean face the rubber instert that correct way into the steel bracket square it goes in. That can cause some odd issues and even snap an axle. Gary's site shows it of course but i have experienced a wrong one and its not cool lol. Also Did you use poly mounts? or just regular new mounts? poly can give some vibration, i had a poly front rad mount and it was horrible in my van and i put in a MP one which is harder than stock but not as bad as poly and it is great!!

Hybrid booster

So I centered the engine, it was off center. and its not AS bad but its still vibrates under Acel. At freeway speeds if i go WOT it wont shake, but in town it will. I dident check that engine mount, I could of messed that one up?

turbo addict

yea but idk what the front mount looks like on yorkies lol. Im assuming you have a mount that looks like this? if so yes. Needs to be a certain direction (facing how it was when u took it out that is lol) here is garys link with the style mount im talking about but not sure if you have this type or not... http://www.thedodgegarage.com/common_failures.html

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Think I've told you this before, 100:1 you've got a bad inner cv joint.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

On brand new axles?

Garrett booster

On brand new axles?

Yes. I had the same issue with my 94' Caravan. One lasted about six months, the other was bad right out of the box. The inner joints are junk, often the rebuilt ones don't even have new inner joints, they just regrease the old crap one and say good enough.

I have had enough with junk aftermarket axles. I just get them out of low mileage cars at the junkyard now.

On brand new axles?
    Yes. Riddle me this, Batman. You probably paid $80 for that axle, ok, so the parts store needed to make a profit, then it had to be shipped from China, the manufacterer built it and needs a profit, they had to buy the recycled metal from someone, the recycler has to make a profit, get my drift?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Yeah I understand. so I have seen about 10 brands of axles. what should I get?

Yeah I understand. so I have seen about 10 brands of axles. what should I get?
    Go to the wreckers and find some lower mileage units, Car only, no van's or L body's.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Go to the wreckers and find some lower mileage units, Car only, no van's or L body's.
    +1. Thats what I did. I got one for my 94 Caravan from another 94 Caravan with only 105K. So far it's outlasted two crappy remans.

I plan on doing the same with my Acclaim LE.

Garrett booster

Come on. Remans cant be that bad. There is a local on that seems to do a good job. I do prefer the new ones though. For lie $100 you can get brand new, albeit foreign manufacture.

Garrett booster

Could be the diff pin wearing. Causing the spider gears to drive the axles uneaqual. do you have metal in the trans pan? It will start to shake a while before there is a major problem(spitting the pin through the case)! I just saw this recently on a friends AA 3spd. If all else fails I'd pull the diff cover and inpect.

turbo addict

did you check out the donovan garage link i gave above? just to rule out the wrong direction of your front mount? Always go with the easiest things first than drive yourself nuts with a million "what it could be's lol" Since you changed that mount and such and now have a vibration that you didnt have before, its likely that.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. X View Post
    Come on. Remans cant be that bad. There is a local on that seems to do a good job. I do prefer the new ones though. For lie $100 you can get brand new, albeit foreign manufacture.
    Pure garbage. They take a bad axle and simply rebuild it, so if the inner was bad when they got it, its bad when it left. Some do put new outers on.

Best bet is used or find a decent LOCAL rebuilder. I had one but those new POS chinese shitt put him out of business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast