Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Paint will make a big difference, always nice to work on cars that look good too!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Paint will make a big difference, always nice to work on cars that look good too!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Installed another PS belt, first one was too short. Ran a basic vacuum line setup that looks good, built and installed a new fuel injector harness, and made a nice little to do list.
    Last edited by RattFink; 06-22-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Hybrid booster

Ran my pcv setup, fixed the sticky throttle cable, secured soe more wiring.

Keep chipping away, before long your biggest challenge will be keeping it clean!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Keep chipping away, before long your biggest challenge will be keeping it clean!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I re-installed the hood today. Also, I removed the alternator wiring harness to take to work and clean up on my lunch breaks next week. The power module was removed last week and I took it to work to try and come up with a better way to do the connectors on it. I found the female pin of a weather pack fits very snug on the PM terminals. Anybody interested on seeing what I come up with on the PM can follow this thread: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...Body&highlight=

If you find a plug that fits in the stock PM socket and has replaceable terminals, I'm all eyes and ears.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

After hours online with no luck, I decided to go out and try to clean up the stock connector at the power module. The PM was removed, taken apart, and cleaned. On the connectors I sprayed them with electrical cleaner and scrubbed the tops with a small wire brush, sprayed them some more and used a little pick to bend the contact points on all the female terminals back in to make a tight connection. I then cleaned everything again, applied dielectric grease around the outside of the connector, and some stabilant on the terminals. I am actually really pleased with how it turned out and am confident it will work good until a betterr solution is possible.

Hybrid booster

Alt. Harness back in, started it up a bit. Didn't feel like sleeping. Im happy with all the wiring now.

Hybrid booster

Alright, I've been picking away at the to do list! Today I removed the rear brakes. I have new wheel cylinders/shoes/hardware/adjusters already. The drums are in good shape and I will probably turn them at work this week. I removed the entire backing plates so I can just take everything to work and clean up, repair, and replace everything on my hour long lunch break that gets boring lol. I need to order wheel seals and a master cylinder still. I also grabbed a spare TPS and IAC to try and clean up/repair wiring on to fix the poor idle/wanting to stall when returning to idle issue.

Check rock auto, lots of blow out prices on this era cars, particularly breaks...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

New rear brake hoses installed, spindles removed and cleaned, backing plates removed cleaned and painted, spindles and backing plates reinstalled with new wheel cylinders shoes and hardware. I just ordered two new wheel seals from rock auto so I can repack the bearings. I'm gonna source new drums also as the old ones were too far gone. It's soo nice that this car is not rusty, didn't fight any of the brake lines

It's nice when you can afford to completely redo the rear breaks, everything clean and like new!

Oh, and they stop like new too.

Check rock auto under other make/model/years for the drums, they're the same for many years, so you'll likely find some on close out for cheap! Just know what diameter you need, there were a couple of different sizes.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

It's nice when you can afford to completely redo the rear breaks, everything clean and like new!

Oh, and they stop like new too.

Check rock auto under other make/model/years for the drums, they're the same for many years, so you'll likely find some on close out for cheap! Just know what diameter you need, there were a couple of different sizes.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Very happy with how it all turned. Rock auto has been great, I've bought almost all the parts for this car there. They do have cheap drums but shipping is killer, may just go local for drums and rotors.

Hybrid booster

Progress is slow lately. I'm back in school, working full time, and three kids! I'm gonna try and get the brakes totally done before December so I can move it around again.

Just budget a hour here and there, maybe once or twice a week. Stick to your time-table and the sense of urgency will have you finished in no time, and, since you're not under the gun to "make it run so I can go to work", when times up, leave it be and walk away!

While this project is clearly (and rightly) towards the bottom of the priorities list, we can almost always find an hour here and there, especially if the time spent is enjoyable.

At any rate, it's looking good, and I hope you can maintain a bit of headway on it.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Well... I had set aside some tax money for new tires, BUT I got myself a hefty $300 dollar traffic ticket so tires are going to have to wait. I did re-pack the rear wheel bearings and re-installed the rear hubs today. I will order my brake drums soon.

Keep at it, sounds like you're making good progress! As a bonus, lots of parts for these cars are CHEAP on RockAuto.Com, as many are "closeouts". New drums for less than $20.00 each, etc. Lots of carryovers from other cars too...

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Hmm... With 20% off and free shipping at Advance Auto online, needed parts are only $7 more than Rockauto. Returns would be much easier if needed as I could go in store. As much as I love Rockauto, may have to change it up a bit! Does anybody know the rear wheel bearing preload on an 86 charger? My manual says 20-25 lb/ft but that seems too tight!

Sounds about right, you don't want to distort the carrier, etc, just hold them in place firmly.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

No,no,no!!!

You torque the nut while spinning the drum/hub in the opposite direction to seat the bearings, hold the drum/hub stationary and flip your ratchet into reverse and break the nut loose then retighten the nut finger tight or even just a touch more if you cannot get the locking cage to line up with the cotter pin hole in the spindle. Those bearings will smoke themselves if there torqued anything much beyond finger tight and driven that way
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast