Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Timing could make a pretty big difference, as a quick "fix" for the cap and rotor, you can dress the rotor tip with Emory cloth, same for the wires/distributor contacts. Not a Long term fix, but doesn't cost and will show an improvement.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Timing could make a pretty big difference, as a quick "fix" for the cap and rotor, you can dress the rotor tip with Emory cloth, same for the wires/distributor contacts. Not a Long term fix, but doesn't cost and will show an improvement.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Cleaned up the cap and rotor, no change. Set the timing to 12* with temp sensor unplugged, idles a little better but still missing bad and stumbles/whole engine shakes when you give it gas. Pulled wires one at a time. Car about dies when you pull wires one or two, no change when you pull three or four. I've got two dead cylinders, hopefully nothing serious plug three is dry and has black soot, plug 4 is wet.

Hybrid booster

Laying in bed thinking about it and remembered 3 and 4 are next to eachother in firing order. Ran outside real quick and sure enough.... I had the plug wires switched, epic fail!

Also "epic fix", I bet she runs great now! (Or at least a whole lot better!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Also "epic fix", I bet she runs great now! (Or at least a whole lot better!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Yeah its better, cyl 3 still isn't hitting, no change when you pull the plug wire. That plug is dry to so I'm thinking maybe that injector is junk from sitting so long.

Possibly, try some sea foam and check the harness, or move the injector to a different cylinder to see if the dead hole "follows".

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly, try some sea foam and check the harness, or move the injector to a different cylinder to see if the dead hole "follows".

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Ugh, well I swapped another injector in from my spare pile, no change. The injector is pulsing on my noid light, I have spark at the wire when I remove it for a power balance test. The plug is dry, and I can't here the injector "clicking" with my mechanics stethoscope. With the stethoscope on the other three injectors you can here that nice dull thud of them working. I may have a terminal tension issue I suppose. I was hoping to get it running good before we left to go to Michigan this coming Saturday, but I don't think I will be able to find the time. I'm literally going out in the garage for 20 minutes at a time right now lol. Anyway, I don't think it's anything too serious, time will tell.

Move one of the known good injectors to the "dead hole" to see if that brings that cylinder back to life. If it doesn't, it's not the mechanical side of things, but more likely a bad connection.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Move one of the known good injectors to the "dead hole" to see if that brings that cylinder back to life. If it doesn't, it's not the mechanical side of things, but more likely a bad connection.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Alright so I dug out an old otc injector tester we had laying around at work and borrowed it for the weekend. Injector 3 wasn't working at all when tested. I hooked the tester up to some spare injectors and none of them worked, I was starting to think the tester was junk lol. Anyway I hooked it up to one of the good injectors on the engine and it worked, so I hooked it back up to cyl 3 and about halfway through a test the injector started working. I retested it and it worked through the whole test. Started the car up, runs pretty good now, hitting on all 4. Idles high and smokes a little, probably running rich still some bugs to work out but a step in the right direction.

Hybrid booster

. Here's the tester I used.

Hybrid booster

Got the shift linkage figured out, backed the car out of the garage . I also installed a new cap/rotor, re-installed the back seat, and installed a newer style stock Chrysler CD player. Sadly it appears to not read cd's anymore, but the radio works fine. Some parts are in from RockAuto so hopefully I can get the cooling system installed soon and actually let it run awhile.

'NICE!! Keep it up, you're making great progress!

That's going to be a fine ride in short order.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

'NICE!! Keep it up, you're making great progress!

That's going to be a fine ride in short order.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Yeah this is going to be a nice ride!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys! It wasn't too cold today so I went out and installed the PS belt, getting closer every day! My goal is to get it drive-able by my birthday in early April and then start enjoying it a little bit. My biggest hurdle is going to be affording tires, but tax time is right around the corner .

I hear ya! I've been there, been more than once I was happy to just have tires that were round and held air!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I hear ya! I've been there, been more than once I was happy to just have tires that were round and held air!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I just cleaned the garage out and decided to tinker a little bit while I was out there. I just re-installed the radiator, a new thermostat, and the upper rad hose. I might go out later and install the lower hose. I'm thinking I might not even hook up the heater core at this point as I'm afraid it will leak and the car will probably only get driven in the summer. I can always hook it up or replace it later on, I just want the car to be road worthy!

Keep picking away at it, before you know it, you're on the road with a big grin!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I buttoned up the cooling system today and let the car run for awhile. I don't think the temp gauge works, but the fan came on every now and then and everything seemed ok. The car idles poor, but I did a couple runs up/down the driveway and on the gas it runs great, the engine feels really strong. I was chirping the tires without even trying I've got a to do list of things that need some finishing touches under the hood, then I'll start working on the brakes/tires.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

I've been busy! Working on a lot of friends cars lately. The Charger has been mobile in and out of the garage lol! I'm going to call and get insurance on it tomorrow, then go get some tags in early April. A friend is working on trying to hook me up with a free paint job, hopefully that works out

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast