Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

You might want to spin the IM shaft with a drill until you see oil pressure, it'll spin the pump faster and not have any danger of wiping the bearings or killing the battery.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to spin the IM shaft with a drill until you see oil pressure, it'll spin the pump faster and not have any danger of wiping the bearings or killing the battery.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

You might have to prime the oil pump. You can pull off the oil filer and pour some oil down the hole in the block that leads to the pump.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Hybrid booster

Good tips everyone, thanks much. The battery is pretty drained already so I will take it to work tomorrow and charge it. It was sitting un-used for a long time. I was able to pick up a Chilton Repair Manual at the local library book sale today for a mere 50 cents. "Omni, Horizon, Rampage 1978-1989." It has a picture of a silver/blue Shelby Charger on the front! This will be a nice quick reference for in the garage. I will take the passenger side axle to work this week and install a new outer boot on my lunch break. Also, I will finish plumbing the fuel lines under the hood this week. Soooo close to running it, just need to order a fuel pump and some other misc. items.

Hybrid booster

Just pulled plugs and primed pump as stated, couldn't wait lol! Got 45 psi after cranking about 15 seconds.

Great news! It'll be on the road in no time!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Great news! It'll be on the road in no time!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Alright. Yesterday I charged the battery at work and installed a new boot on the passenger side outer cv joint while on my lunch break. I also picked up some fuel line and clamps to re-plumb all the rotten lines. The main piece I was lacking was the fuel pump assembly and money is always tight so I got a little creative. I brought the old assembly to work and was able to clean it up pretty nicely. The float and fuel level sensor were too far gone, so I just cut it all off and will go without a fuel gauge for a little while. I had a known good fuel pump out of a GMC truck sitting in my tool box, so I modified the hanger and attached it, wired, and plumbed it up. I installed this Frankenstein unit into my new fuel tank this evening. I also installed the new fill tube grommet and rollover/vapor valve into the new tank. Tomorrow I will pick up some rubberized undercoating to spray on the top of the tank and then it will be ready for install.

Sounds like you'll be shaking her down this weekend!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you'll be shaking her down this weekend!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Successful night! Passenger side axle re-installed, under hood rubber fuel lines re-done, RH motor mount tightened up, all brackets/suspension on RH side re-installed, found and repaired front sway bar that was about to fall out, re-installed coil, removed charcoal canister, both axle nuts re-installed, front tires back on, LH plastic splash shield re-installed, misc. a/c hardware and brackets removed. Hopefully I can install the fuel tank, plugs, wires, and vacuum lines this weekend yet. Note to myself: get new cotter pins for the axle nuts and RH tie rod. Also, I'm not sure how I ever got by without an electric impact wrench. I highly recommend the sears 19.2 volt 3/8 drive, very good bang for the buck.

I'll second the handiness of cordless impacts! My next one will be the highest torque /smallest form factor unit I can find/afford.

I like them so much, I'm disappointed when I can't fit it in when I want to use it!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I'll second the handiness of cordless impacts! My next one will be the highest torque /smallest form factor unit I can find/afford.

I like them so much, I'm disappointed when I can't fit it in when I want to use it!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Compression: 140 140 140 120 retested number 4 and it was a little lower than the first time but battery was getting low. This is on a cold engine that hasn't run since 89 so we'll see how it runs... oil pressure was hitting 60 psi during compression test. Getting close to starting it. Found some damaged wires to the coil I need to fix and still need to install alternator and fuel tank.

turbo addict

Dump a little sea foam or marvel down into cylinder 4 when you go to start it. Might help the rings reseat themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Plugs and wires on, coil wiring soldered back together and installed, alternator and belt installed. Not sure it will run today, my wife has a work thing going on so I'm in charge of our 3 little hooligans today lol.

Hybrid booster

Well, the fuel tank is up on a jack and in place. I was having a hard time getting the nuts on the straps started last night so I just left it up on the jack. I did install the fill tube and 4.5 gallons of gas, I ran some quick fuel lines and tried starting it. No luck there, I need to check for spark. I also have a fuel leak to take care of. Does anybody know what the stock fuel pressure should be on this car?

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    Well, the fuel tank is up on a jack and in place. I was having a hard time getting the nuts on the straps started last night so I just left it up on the jack. I did install the fill tube and 4.5 gallons of gas, I ran some quick fuel lines and tried starting it. No luck there, I need to check for spark. I also have a fuel leak to take care of. Does anybody know what the stock fuel pressure should be on this car?
    55 psi with the vacuum hose disconnected.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Hybrid booster

It runs! Still some bugs to work out but it is officially running.

OUTSTANDING!!

Hope you are enjoying it! There will be plenty of "bugs" to work out (hopefully no actual bugs!), hopefully they are manageable and don't interfere too much with your enjoyment.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Drove it out of the garage today. Issues: runs poor has a dead miss, can't shift into reverse, misc. Items to take care of still. Here's a pic:

Judging by the critter by the front wheel, the "Kitty magnet" isn't broken .... very nice!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by the critter by the front wheel, the "Kitty magnet" isn't broken .... very nice!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Lol the cat magnet is definately not broken! Alright so today I used a stethoscope to find that injector 3 is not firing. Test light shows power to injector, noid light doesn't flash so no ground. Its in the injector harness for sure. I've got another harness in better shape but I didn't use it because the connector on the car side is different, from a lebaron I think. Regardless every connector on this car is trash because nobody cared about weatherpack connectors back then I guess lol. I'm gonna snag both sides of a 5 or 6? Pin connector from a salvage vehicle and wire it up to the car and injector harness. I also dug an old mastertech up which has all the right software and connections to hook up to the charger. I tried it out but it wouldn't communicate so I need to look into that too. Probably more wiring problems lol. Also, I've got some thick black goo dripping from the muffler. Most likely from the previous engine failure many years ago as the car isn't smoking or anything. I still haven't run it too long because the cooling system isn't quite finished.

Hybrid booster

Wiring fixed seems to run a little better. Still need a new cap and rotor and to set timing.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast