Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Yeah, 2.4 swap,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

It's been awhile! Progress has been slow due to life, but I've seem to found some motivation. The long block is together on the stand, the turbo is at work getting cleaned up for the install, and I ordered some turbo lines from FWD Performance last night.

Garrett booster

I just saw this thread, and it reminded me of my own story with my CSX. I also bought mine in 2010 and it still isn't done. Just keep plugging away at it and you will get there!

Hybrid booster

Progress! The engine is ready to go in and I installed a new input shaft seal on the trans today. I have the shift linkage in my toolbox at work where I am modifying it for the upgraded kit from Great Lakes Hot Rods. The exhaust donut and springs/bolts came from Rockauto this past week, unfortunately they sent the wrong part instead of my O2 sensor so I need to straighten that out. I also got a couple hundred bucks for my birthday so this thing should be running within a few weeks!

Hybrid booster

Progress is slow, but there. The engine is on the floor complete with machined flywheel attached, I just need to put the clutch on. I need to order some motor mounts and misc. parts for the install. The shift linkage is all installed on the car. I just got done pulling the fuel tank. I was hoping to clean it out and re-use, but it's pretty far gone. Rusted from the inside out. The sender and hanger is a mess too, I will have to order all new. Tanks are cheap at RockAuto thankfully. I also pulled the back seat to clean underneath it. I've been making an effort to work on the car consistently and it is coming along.

Hybrid booster

Hey in some of your first pics, it looks like you had a cs oil cap on it. Looks like it just lost the center cap decal.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

wow just saw this thread now.. good save ! you got a great deal on that.. when i was stationed at Ft. Benning I would go riding around town all the time looking for stuff like that. I never saw anything though..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Hybrid booster

Engine is sitting in the car, not all buttoned up but it's in!

Still waiting on some pics of the build, you RattFink! Wait a tick.... :|
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

LOL! I'll try to get some this week. Not too much to see really. I'm wishing I would have detailed the engine bay when the engine was out, but don't have much extra time to do that kind of stuff. I'm thinking I will call this "Project Ratt Rod." Function is greater than form with this build!

- - - Updated - - -

Engine In:

- - - Updated - - -

Interior, still need to do something about the center arm rest:

- - - Updated - - -

Fuel pump/tank. If anybody has a good L Body sender let me know.... I hate to buy a whole new assy. when I already have a fuel pump I planned on using.

- - - Updated - - -

Rust free underneath!

- - - Updated - - -

Finished adjusting the shifter today too, much props to Great Lakes Hot Rods for the awesome shift rod kit!

That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Keep on it man, glad you're making some progress. Did you check Rock Auto for a tank? I think they sell them and not too expensive from what I've seen people buy. Not sure about L bodies though.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Do what you can, when you can, don't worry about making it pretty just yet (unless it's along the way, like the engine... looking very good there!), just do what needs to be done to get it out and on the road so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor a bit!

Nothing worse than pouring your heart and soul (not to mention precious $$) into a project that never seems to have a real payoff!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

$83 plus shipping for a tank from rockauto, very reasonable indeed. I do want to enjoy this car I'm sick of it sitting in the garage!

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Tapatalk 2

Hybrid booster

All motors mounts/brackets in and tight. All bellhousing bolts in. I'm going to try and convince my wife that we can fit a fuel tank in the budget this week lol. I'm also chasing a lead on a used fuel pump hanger so I can use the pump I already have. Next weekend I will bolt the downpipe up, install O2 sensor, and install the starter. I may be able to turn it over next weekend!

Awesome!! keep the momentum up as best you can, you're almost there!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

No work done this weekend, too busy with other things! I am going to order the gas tank tomorrow for sure though. I may also hit the junkyard after work this week to try and find a Nippon-denso starter.

Hybrid booster

A lot of things going on lately, been too busy for the car! I got out there today and installed the starter, bolted up the exhaust downpipe, and installed the O2 sensor. Next weekend: remove passenger side axle and fix the ripped boot, install wiring and new battery, hook up oil pressure gauge and spin it over.

Good to hear progress, just keep "picking" at it! It'll be on the road in no time!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear progress, just keep "picking" at it! It'll be on the road in no time!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Well, got the starter/wiring all hooked up. I spun it over finally! Next question, how long do you need to crank it over to register oil pressure on a mechanical gauge? I hooked up a brand new OTC oil pressure gauge to the oil pressure sender block on the front of the engine and spun it over a good bit, my gauge hasn't budged. I'm kind of worried, but the engine was torn all the way down so I am not sure how long it takes turning the engine over to prime the system.

turbo addict

Pull the spark plugs and disconnect the HEP to help it crank easier. It should register oil pressure within 20 seconds or so.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast