Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Hybrid booster

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Went to title office today, all went well. Title should arrive in the mail in 3-10 days. I am officially the second owner of the car!

Hybrid booster

I'm going to look at a super low mileage 2.2 turbo engine this weekend. Was pulled out of a wrecked lebaron with 36,000 miles on it. Has been sitting around this guys garage for years and now he's selling it. He says it turns over freely still. Comes with turbo, manifolds, injectors, everything. The Charger might be on the road quicker than I thought!

Garrett booster

Good luck and great thread!!!!

Awesome news on the low mileage motor, I hope you are able to score it
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

nice car! great price too

Hybrid booster

Picked up the engine today. Just got it home. Supposedly only has 36,000 miles on it. Turns over nicely and looks good under the valve cover. I'll post some pics after I get it on the engine stand.

Hybrid booster

New engine:

Hybrid booster

New motor looks good where it counts. It's gonna get a t-belt, water pump, gaskets, thermostat, and goin in the charger.

That's great man, glad to hear things are coming together
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

The title finally came in the mail today! The lady at the office said it would take 6-10 days, that came and went. I looked online and it said to wait 4 weeks until contacting somebody. I was actually gonna call today and it came in the mail. I'm so excited. I was kinda getting worried that something went wrong but the car is all mine now and I can prove it! I pulled the old engine out a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna freshen up the new motor after Christmas.

Hybrid booster

Wow, been awhile since I posted! Progress is slow, but it's coming along. I decided to tear down and inspect the engine I bought. All the main bearings looked great so just cleaned and re-installed. 3 rods bearings looked good. Rod bearing on number 3 was a little funky looking. The crank looked good though, so I threw a new bearing on number 3 just for good measure. Bottom end is all together. Oil pan is on, new rear, front, and intermediate shaft seals are installed and block/oil pan painted black. Cylinder walls look good so just gonna run it. I have a new head set, head bolts, water pump, clutch, timing belt and tensioner all sitting on the shelf. As far as the engine goes, the only thing left I need are the turbo lines. The coolant lines look ok, I may re-use them. The oil feed line is pretty messed up, I will probably just get a stock replacement for this build. I want to get the trans out and cleaned up. Will probably install a new input shat seal and call it good. Then engine/trans combo can go back in.

Hybrid booster

Progress has been non-existant lately! First, money was being saved for a vacation, then money got really tight, then the little one had some medical issues, etc. Life happens. Things have calmed down now. The garage became a mess within the last few months. I took last weekend to clean it out really good. I'm gonna try and push the Charger out this weekend and wash it to get all the cob-webs off. I have come to the conclusion in my head that I cannot afford to do the car the way I really want. I am basically gonna throw the engine together using the best parts out of the two and a half engines I have laying around. It will be bone stock and when it is running I can work the kinks out. It does not have to be daily driven so that is not an issue. If the engine I put together goes, I'll have my other engine on the stand getting ready to go in. On a side note, I may be getting a promotion at work. Fingers crossed. It would require a longer commute which would take up more of my time, but the money issue would be helped.

Garrett booster

Hey rattfink, this thread has been inspirational haha. I have an 84 Turismo that I've been trying to get going over the past two years. The problem for me is both money and my lack of know how on cars. Its basically a learning process. But its been fun the past half hour reading along on your journey.

Hybrid booster

Glad to have been an inspiration! Lack of money really sucks. I am a mechanic for a living, I know what the car really should have to be done right, but I can't afford all that! That's been a big internal battle for me. Don't worry about your lack of know how, get out there and start wrenching, that's how you learn the best! I pushed the car outside this morning and washed it up. My 4 year old gave me a helping hand. When we were washing it he said, "Daddy, I think the Charger is happy." That really made my day, kid's are awesome. Well, I have most of the parts to get the engine put back together. I'm gonna start on it again next weekend. I find it easier to just do little pieces of the project at a time. Looking at it as a whole is very intimidating. Lots of work to be done...

Keep working at it, I'm sure it will come out fine. If you need any diagrams for the car, I have the service manuals for my 1985 Charger. I don't know what all the differences were, but I'm fairly certain the electronics for an 85 and 86 are pretty similar, enough so that you can use them.

Post up a current pic or two so we can see it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Well, I was out in the garage today cleaning up a bit. I devised a way to use the free transmission jack I picked up to put the engine back on the new/used engine stand I got. I got some new shelving today to help clean things up out there. I had started lapping the valves a few weeks ago but never finished it. Hopefully I can finish up that tedious job soon and then roll along on putting the engine back together. I also got my shift linkage kit, so that can be fixed also. I really am lacking no parts engine/trans wise to get it going, so I have no excuses now!

Hybrid booster

Well... I need some motivation!! I bought upper and lower radiator hoses, they came today from RockAuto. I've got enough in my parts stash to get this project rolling. I also got an engine hoist dropped off today. It is on indefinte loan to me, so that is a bonus too. I can actually put the engine in when it is finished now! I made a little bet with my dad over the weekend also. He is working on a 73 Dodge Challenger. He's hoping to get it road worthy by the end of July, so we have a little race going on.

turbo addict

Get it done!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Sweet build,

Are you going to convert to the one piece intake?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I plan on keeping the one piece to get the car on the road and start working all the bugs out of the car. It has been sitting for 12 years now, so I'm sure there will be a lot of issues to resolve. After it is running good I will start building the second (original) engine, that way I can start upgrading while driving the car, then just swap the new motor in some weekend. That is the plan as of now, but a 2.4 swap is aways nagging at the back of my mind...

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast