Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Garrett booster

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Great save! I'd hate to see such a car end up at the junkyard. I see too many cars as it is that don't belong there.

Local Atlanta member too! I'm in Marietta. If you ever need a hand working on the Shelby....let me know!

Nice Save! That's a keeper!!

The wife too for seeing the value of the car and supporting you with the purchase.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Nice car! Don't use it for d.d., keep it in the garage for a fun car. I'm glad mine is retired from d.d. duty, always thought some shmuck would rear end me or something...
    later Dick Westerhof

Hybrid booster

I most definatly won't use this car as a daily driver, no worries there! My first plans are going to be just getting it back to good stock running / somewhat dependable condition. Money is a little tight right now so there will be no major performance upgrades. I called the tow truck driver back today to see if I could get any more info on the car. Apparently the guy that owned it got it from a friend 10 years ago and it was in need of a head gasket. He never got the title transfered so it is still in his friends name, who was the original owner. He then parked it at his mom's house with all his other cars and forgot about it. Fast forward ten years, the guy now lives in Maryland and his mom kept getting complaints from the county about having too much junk, so he just called a wrecker to get everything towed away intead of trying to sell anything, that when I found it. I'm not too worried about a title though because apparently if a car is 25 years old in GA you just need a bill of sale to register it, so I will just wait a year and be good to go. I went out to the garage today and decided I would fill up the radiator with water and run it for a bit. Filled it up and found water leaking... out of the oil pan gasket Definatly will need some major work, all the water went into the crankcase. I was debating on pulling the head off but noticed the puddle of transmission fluid under my daily driver just getting bigger so I decided to set my priorities and fix that first.

Hybrid booster

I'm so glad to see you save that car! it looks solid and worth fixing! And your wife sounds like a saint for not hasseling you on it and helping you out with it!

By the way , what is it about mold on cars in the south? I lived in Savannah for 4 years and noticed it on cars alot down there. Being a native cali guy I had never seen that before.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

nice save!
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

great save man ill be watching this thread for sure
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Hybrid booster

Had a long week and needed to relax, so I went out into the garage for a couple hours tonight lol. Started taking the head off the Charger to see what the damage is. Got it mostly apart, just need to take off the exhaust, a couple fuel lines, and the valve cover and head bolts. I must say though, I love southern cars! No hassle with anything so far, except that I broke just about every vacuum line on the thing. No biggie. Tomorrow I will probably finish pulling the head off after I change the trans fluid in my wife's car... I've been putting that off for awhile now. Will update sometime this weekend.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for saving such a nice car from being crushed or sold for parts.

Hybrid booster

Sweet find! I've had dreams of that exact scenario!! Having a year to work on it should ease the $$ burden a bit too..
    I'm going to check out a black/silver SC locally next week thats sitting in a similar situation.. It may be the last L body in northern Il Turbodave dosent own...

Hybrid booster

Well, last weekend turned into a bust. Was gonna go junkyarding with Matt86 but some family stuff came up, sorry to bail man! Was also hoping to get the head off the Charger but that didn't hapen either. To top it off, my garage door came off the tracks and the spring unwound last Sunday, so now that needs to be fixed I did get a chance to build a workbench so my stuff isn't scattered everywhere. That will make things alot easier. I went out last night and got the exhaust downpipe off, removed the timing belt, and removed all the oil and coolant lines. Literally I just have to take the valve cover off and then the head bolts. Not sure if I will work on it tomorrow as I'm not feeling to good this weekend. Here are some pictures from last weekend.

High performance Daytona ES work bench!

The other Dodges in the family, both 2.4's

turbo addict

wow that is a very deep garage! how big is that?
    cars looking great!

Hybrid booster

Not too sure on the specs of the garage. Our landlord said he built it so he could store his boats. Works out good for me though! I can pretty much cram two cars end to end and still close the door lol. When my wife and I were looking for a house to rent, one of my must haves was a big garage. She found the house and liked it, and I liked the garage!

Garrett booster

We can always go for some Junkyard action later this month. I have to finish the front end work on the Acclaim tomorow but maybe next weekend assuming this rain crap is gone. Plus they might have some new inventory in.

I love the garage and the work bench! I wish I had a garage of my own.

Also dig the dual cloud cars!

Hybrid booster

Well, I finally got the cylinder head off today. I have never seen such a blown head gasket! I can't beleive the car ran. Everything else looks pretty good though. The block and head look ok as far as I can tell visually. The turbo shaft has minimal play, no up and down, a little side to side, spins freely with no noise. There was a tag on the throttle body that said "Garrett Factory Remanufactured." I guess the turbo was replaced at one point, and I'm assuming that the head must have been off for that. If that's the case maybe somebody did a bad job on the headgasket? Just trying to piece together the puzzle. Here are some pics.

Cam is pretty rusty and nasty looking.

Block.

Headgasket as it came off.

I'm gonna take everything off the head and clean up all the pieces. I will take the head to work and check it with a straight edge. If it checks out ok I will probably take it to the place we get our heads at work done. My boss says they cut us a good deal to go through the head completely. Found this add on craigslist locally too, i'm kinda tempted to make an offer. I e-mailed the guy for some more info.

"I have a 2.2 turbo stock cylinder head, ported intake manifold, ported exhaust manifold, throttle body, fuel injectors, & fuel pump. Head is off a 86 Omni GLH. All other parts came from Lambrose Race Engineering. I still have the reiecpt from when I bought the parts. The head is used but nothing was wrong with it when I took it off, upgraded to a better head. All other parts have never been installed, they are new and still in the box. Make me an offer. I do not have any pictures but contact me if you are seriously interested."

I will keep updating as I go along.

Keep it up man, your halfway there to getting it going
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

Man that head gasket is nasty! I did one on a 2.2 S-10 a while back that was almost that bad. It was totally blown out across all the cylinders because the bloke who did the head job a year ago reused the old bolts.

Keep up the progress! Hopefully the weather will finally make up its mind and be nice this weekend. I'm tired of this 45 degrees, then 75 degrees then rain days.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor amoparx's Avatar

Nice find. On behalf of Turbo Dodge guys everywhere, Thank-You! That gasket went out on the corner that usually goes first. Usually not that bad though. I can see why the engine was filling with water.
    Bob Doherty..... mnsdac.com
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Daytona Shelby TII T-Top
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII
    '89 Lebaron Convert TI auto

SDAC Member.expires 05/2016.MNSDAC Vice President

Wow that is hella blown.
    But definitely keep trucking and keep up the good work!

Hybrid booster

Well, last month was crazy and I didn't have much time to work on the Charger Had to make an unplanned trip back to MI for a family emergency, and work has been crazy too. Anyway, I contacted the machine shop that does our cylinder heads at work, and they quoted me $175 to completely re-build the head. Seems like a good deal to me, will just have to save up some money before I can get that done. While saving I decided to start work on the interior since it won't cost much to get looking good. I will probably start a thread in the interior section for some tips/advice on that. One thing I did do over the weekend was customize my gas cap. I didn't have a key to fit the gas cap when I got the car, so I had to drill out the lock cylinder. I took the gas cap apart Sunday and removed the lock cylinder completely, which pretty much makes the gas cap stay in the un-locked position. I then installed a thin piece of black plastic where the lock cylinder was. Not perfect but will work for now, probably not too easy to find a gas cap with matching key nowadays.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast