Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

boostaholic

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Check codes?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by zin View Post
    Definitely get the injectors serviced, they are key to it running well and getting proper gas mileage, don't just have them "cleaned", send them to someone like RC Engineering ( http://www.rceng.com/ ), they'll get them clean and balanced, with a proper spray pattern, which will go a long ways toward a happy driving experience!

Be sure to check the cap for moisture after a hose-down, and I'd suggest re-setting the IAC to be sure that's not the issue, your recently acquired automotive library and scan tool should make it an easy thing to do (compared to those of us not so blessed!).

As a matter of "old car maintenance", I'd recommend cleaning and re-greasing the pins in the Power Module, seems they get sketchy as time goes on, and a good de-oxidizing and weather proofing (greasing) will also go a long way to ensure trouble-free fun.

Looks like you'll be on the road and having fun with it this spring/summer!

Mike
    do not insert anything into the barrels of the connectors that go to the power module thinking you're gonna scrape em out nice and clean

the barrels don't make the actual contact with the pins on the pm
    rather , there are small tangs inside those barrels that scrap on the pins

sticking something in the barrels bends the tangs and causes the connections to fail

I had a long night in the garage long ago when I went back out to the garrage to find my buddy doing exactly this to his car

it was a much longer night than it needed to be spliceing another set of plugs on to his wireing after he fubar'ed his useing my torch tip cleaner to ream out the barrels in the connectors

Hybrid booster

I've had the PM out disassembled/cleaned. I cleaned every pin on the 2 connectors going to it with electrical cleaner, and bent the little tangs on every pin back out and performed a pin drag test. It was reconnected with dielectric grease around the connectors. The iac has been disassembled/cleaned/reset per procedure. The injectors are original and have been sitting. I will probably send four other injectors I have laying around out for the full treatment. It will idle fine at 1000 rpm but stumbles coming off idle and returning to idle. If you hold the pedal steady at any rpm it runs smooth and runs great in first gear pulling up the hill that is my driveway granted I can't get going fast. I'm sure the stalling issue was from hosing it down. I've got 2 spare heps in u known conditions.

Hybrid booster

Started right up today in the cold, snowy weather. It actually ran great. I let it run awhile and the lower rad. Hose was leaking. Tightened that clamp some more. I priced out new tires. $250 shipped, I'll see where I'm at next paycheck I suppose, may just wait for taxes. I may bring the drb home next wknd and monitor everything.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Great idea to monitor things via the DRB, it can show you when a sensor is "wrong", not necessarily "bad". Map sensors in these years tend to get moisture in them and can read wrong, but not be failed completely and therefore not show a code. Same kind of failure mode can happen with the coolant temp sensor, though not as likely.

A little annoying that the two biggest factors in fueling on an injected engine are like that! Both the charge temp and coolant temp should read the same on a cold engine, so if they aren't real close to each other, the one that doesn't read correct ambient temp is "bad".

$250 for tires is pretty good. What size? And where from?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

205 50 15 kumhoa at discount tire direct. 256 before tax, free shipping. Last week they had a 25 dollar off promotion which would have made it under 250 before tax. Forgot to grab the scan tool, kinda had a long week full of not enough sleep lol.

Hybrid booster

Just ordered tires, 247.09 shipped from discount tire direct. Kumho Ecsta AST

Hybrid booster

I called my insurance company today (Progressive) and established an agreed upon value of $3,000 for the car. The lady on the phone asked if it was some type of special edition. I told her it was a Shelby, to which she replied, "I thought those were only mustangs." LOL. Full coverage with towing and roadside assistance and an agreed upon value of 3k for another $50 a month. I'll take it.

Nice!

Good that she even knew about the Mustangs...

Cruising this weekend? ☺
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

So, I ordered the tires Thursday at 6:46 am, I received shipping information at 3:39 pm the same day, and they were delivered yesterday, Friday, before 4:00 pm.... WOW. I'll take it for free shipping! The plan is to bring the tires/wheels to work this week and get them installed. I still need to get a license plate also. I'm not going to know what to do with this thing being drive-able LOL!

Hybrid booster

I took the tires/wheels off and brought everything to work today since I had to go in for a couple hours. I also stopped by the tag office and grabbed the license plate! New tires are mounted and balanced. I got stressed when they said I would have to pay back taxes on the car before I registered it, BUT the taxable value of the car is a whopping $40.00, so all my fees came in just under $40 and the tag is good through April 2017. I've also got an OTC 4000e sitting in the back seat of my car. Maiden voyage may very well be today..

Hybrid booster

Tag has been installed, legal documents in glove box, spare HEP and screwdriver in glove box, fluids checked, wheels tires on and torqued. Let it run awhile with scan tool hooked up. Ambient/ECT matched on startup, O2 switching, RPM signal good, fan came on at 210, shut off as cooled, tps ranges .88v to 4.5v depending on throttle, MAP/Baro accurate. Still stumbles right off throttle and has a hard to returning to idle. It got too late for the maiden voyage as I don't want to drive it in the dark. Tomorrow when my wife comes home from work though!

Awesome!

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Well, today was a busy day, but.... I finally drove it! I checked everything over again this morning and let it run a good hour before hitting the road. I was looking at scan tool data before driving and noticed the VSS registers up to 15 mph while revving the engine sitting still, so that may be my problem with it returning to idle. Anyway, the power of this car surprised me pulling out of the driveway, I lit the tires up in first and chirped them in second! It pulled hard and boosted to about 6 psi at maybe 3/4 throttle. That is with the waste-gate hooked directly up to engine vacuum. I took it to the gas station 2 miles up the road where I stopped and filled it up. Started right back up, drove home, then back out for a couple more miles. It ran better than expected and never stalled out on me. I will probably slowly start taking it farther and farther from home at this point. Things to look into/fix:

LH and center brake lights are dim compared to the RH
    Turn signal lever doesn't click into place in one direction, have to hold it
    VSS issue
    Brakes feel slightly mushy, but stops great. May need another bleed or I need to get used to a 1986 brake system lol. They haven't really been broken in either though...
    Sitting on the original suspension still, can definitely tell on the turns...
    Shift linkage needs some minor adjustments, hard to engage first

I am very happy overall. The car felt more powerful than expected, didn't need to be towed, and was a BLAST to drive.

Hybrid booster

Drove it more and more today. Total miles put on it so far: 28.8 I'm surprised the odo, speedo, and tach all work. Kept getting harder and harder to engage first/second gear, to the point where I was having to use second/third to get going... My clutch didn't really like that... Anyway, I'm sure it's just an adjustment issue as it wasn't quite right to begin with. Also, the oem starter is kinda weak after it gets warm under the hood. I may hit the junkyards and try to find a Denso unit.

Garrett booster

Can you pop it into first with less effort if the engine isn't running?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by OG_SRT4 View Post
    Can you pop it into first with less effort if the engine isn't running?
    No, can't engage 1st, 2nd, or Reverse with engine off or running. There's an adjustment under the shifter with a clamp type bolt/sleeve that holds the shifter to the shift rod, I think that clamp wasn't quite tight enough and slipped slowly while driving. I'm pleased with the overall performance so, I'll look into that issue more this week/next wknd.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    No, can't engage 1st, 2nd, or Reverse with engine off or running. There's an adjustment under the shifter with a clamp type bolt/sleeve that holds the shifter to the shift rod, I think that clamp wasn't quite tight enough and slipped slowly while driving. I'm pleased with the overall performance so, I'll look into that issue more this week/next wknd.
    That'll certainly do it. You know you live down south when that's a possibility due to the shaft not being seized up due to rust.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    That'll certainly do it. You know you live down south when that's a possibility due to the shaft not being seized up due to rust.
    LOL! It's true, I have yet to run into a stuck/rusty part on this car. Even the brake line fittings were all removed easily. I grew up in Michigan, I know how that rust stuff works!

Hybrid booster

Fixed the shift linkage, put a few more miles on it.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast