Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Quote Originally Posted by OG_SRT4 View Post
    Tell me more about this retrofit kit please.
    Pretty much just a newer style MAP, the one that's designed to be in the engine bay (like on a Mini Van, etc) with a pigtail that connects to the LM on one end and the "new" MAP on the other.

Pretty easy to make yourself if you can't get the kit (or don't want to pay dealer prices). Just splice the connector side of the On-LM MAP to the appropriate amount of wire and the new style MAP connector on the other, choose a safe mounting location (Strut tower is common) and your done...

There isn't anything inherently wrong with the LM mounted MAP itself, it's just that in that location, it can get water inside it fairly easily and that will cause it to go bad, often reading higher than reality. In my case, I would hit Over-Boost just giving it a slight amount of throttle. Drove me crazy due to a comedy of errors and a lack of a scan tool, which would have told me the MAP was WAY off right away, but I digress...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

Thanks for the info, always good to know tricks to update these things.

Hybrid booster

Phew. Crazy few months. My daughter was born 9/15 last year. I feel like things are just settling down a bit. I finally got around to diagnosing the issue I was having with low power/cutting out. Turns out I need a fuel pump. I know the Walbro 255 is the go to, but I really need the whole sending unit. Is that even available still? What is a good stock replacement pump for 14psi max boost?

boostaholic

You could go with the 190 LPH instead of the 255

Anything is better than a failing/failed pump. Even a stock replacement you can get for cheap!

I'd go that way so you have a fun-ctional car for now, and you can upgrade later when you up the boost, etc.

Besides, a stock engine (head/cam,etc) isn't going to need a big pump to keep it happy. NOT that I'm opposed to a strong pump, just not needed and the $$ could go to other things to make the car more enjoyable in the near term.

Congrats on your addition! :-)

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Zin, I like that thought process!
    issue I’m having is it seems nobody stocks complete pump/senders for turbo cars. Plenty of tbi but then I’d need to swap pumps which means more $$. Looks like I just may grab a new pump and worry about a working fuel gauge later lol! What brand is recommended for stock replacement?

Airtex was our supplier at NOS for the booster pumps, and we had good luck with them, but I'd imagine any of the "name brand" pumps (Carter, Delphi, etc) would be fine for a stock replacement.

Mike

- Edmund Burke

How's $26 for a pump sound? And it's an Airtex...

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclef...l=en&html=true

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Hmmm. I’ve had decent luck with airtex but better luck with the carter brand so I am leaning that way. I will probably get a tbi Omni sender too so I can fix the fuel gauge while I’m in there.

Hybrid booster

Finally threw in the Carter fuel pump I ordered. Not happy with the kit and still need a new sending unit but just wanted it running again. Almost had a major crisis. Drove it to work right after installing the fuel pump , all was good. Popped hood to check things out after getting to work. The rubber fuel hose had split on the way in and dumped fuel all over. I’m sooooo lucky it didn’t catch on fire. The hoses weren’t even that old... poor quality? They were rated for fuel injection. Does anyone have a better solution than the rubber hoses under the hood?

Parker industrial hose would be great, overkill but shouldn't be affected by the additives in the fuel these days, which I imagine played a role in the failure. ..

Good to see it's rolling down the road! 😀

Mike

- Edmund Burke

boostaholic

A few times I've used "fuel injection" hose from AA or Autozone and split it, I think last time
    I bought from NAPA.

Hybrid booster

I've been driving the car a fair amount lately due to some issues with the daily driver. I'm still running into the same running issues. The car falls flat on it's face above about 3psi boost. It completely loses power and you can feel the car stop accelerating, and hear the engine breaking up. Letting off the accelerator and getting back under 3psi is like a switch that wakes the car up. It's so consistent that you can manipulate with the accelerator pedal. It is throwing the o2 sensor code 51, will that affect the car under WOT? I swapped the MAP sensor with another I had laying around an the problem stayed the exact same. Sometimes the car will act perfectly fine and have plenty of power randomly, but 90 percent of the time, the issue is there. I plan on scoping the TPS sensor next, and hooking up a scan tool for live data. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    I've been driving the car a fair amount lately due to some issues with the daily driver. I'm still running into the same running issues. The car falls flat on it's face above about 3psi boost. It completely loses power and you can feel the car stop accelerating, and hear the engine breaking up. Letting off the accelerator and getting back under 3psi is like a switch that wakes the car up. It's so consistent that you can manipulate with the accelerator pedal. It is throwing the o2 sensor code 51, will that affect the car under WOT? I swapped the MAP sensor with another I had laying around an the problem stayed the exact same. Sometimes the car will act perfectly fine and have plenty of power randomly, but 90 percent of the time, the issue is there. I plan on scoping the TPS sensor next, and hooking up a scan tool for live data. Any help would be appreciated.
    Definitely check the TPS signal. make sure voltage goes up when you push the pedal down.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Hybrid booster

I drive the car on and off, but never bothered to look too deep into the running issues. I finally started diving in and I think I am close to getting it running good. I did a fuel pressure test and found I had too high fuel pressure! 70 psi... No wonder the spark plugs are black and I keep ruining O2 sensors. I dropped the tank and found that I had accidently blocked the return line when I installed the fuel pump, whoops! I ordered a new fuel filler neck seal, new spark plugs, and a new O2 sensor. I am going to put the tank back up when that stuff comes in. I'll install new plugs, and I am going to revert back to a 1 wire O2 sensor until I get all the bugs worked out on the car. I've had O2 sensor codes since I did the 4 wire upgrade and I am not personally happy with the wiring job I did. So, the game plan:

1) Fix running problem and other minor issues
    -repair return line and reinstall fuel tank
    -replace spark plugs
    -revert back to 1 wire O2 and install new sensor
    -install shorter power steering belt (part ordered)
    -install turn signal switch (already have part)
    -re-glue rear view mirror
    -remove catalytic converter

The car should run and drive decent after this, then I can get into the other stuff I want to do:

2) Non critical bugs to work out
    -LR brake/turn signal is dim even after bulb replacement, I need to look into this
    -install new door speakers (I already have some)
    -remove broken RF door speaker cover and give to friend with 3d printer, he may be able to make me a replacement
    -look into window sweep replacement while I have the door panels off
    -look into alternator tensioner replacement, the rubber bushing is starting to fail
    -diagnose horn not working
    -diagnose blower motor not working
    -reinstall hood vent and RH kick panel trim
    -secure boost gauge in a better position
    -glue shift knob piece back on

After allllll that, I'll be very happy with a turn key and comfortable weekend driver. Then I will start diving into some bigger projects with the car. Things I want to do:
    -upgrade to denso starter
    -move battery to trunk
    -convert to unequal length half shafts
    -plumb FMIC
    -replace carpet and restore interior trim pieces

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Glad to hear that it's setting all sorted out. Keep up the good work.

Hybrid booster

Wow, the car has been sitting for over a year...
    The fall weather and Richard Holdner's videos on youtube have motivated me. I have been picking away at the car the past week and this is where I am sitting:

1) Fix running problem and other minor issues - I fixed the return line, reinstalled the pump and tank, installed new spark plugs, fixed the belts. Car started and idled but wouldn't rev or accelerate and kept stalling out. Finally, it wouldn't start. I swapped the HEP, and MAP sensor, no change. I found the connectors at the PM to be extremely corroded. I will be cleaning them up and trying again this week. Hopefully this is the last issue to it running well. Then I can work on the following:

-revert back to 1 wire O2 and install new sensor - as needed
    -install turn signal switch (already have part)
    -re-glue rear view mirror
    -remove catalytic converter

The car should run and drive decent after this, then I can get into the other stuff I want to do:

2) Non critical bugs to work out
    -LR brake/turn signal is dim even after bulb replacement, I need to look into this - the turn signal switch may fix this problem
    -install new door speakers (I already have some)
    -remove broken RF door speaker cover and give to friend with 3d printer, he may be able to make me a replacement
    -look into window sweep replacement while I have the door panels off
    -diagnose horn not working
    -diagnose blower motor not working
    -reinstall hood vent and RH kick panel trim
    -secure boost gauge in a better position
    -glue shift knob piece back on

After allllll that, I'll be very happy with a turn key and comfortable weekend driver. Then I will start diving into some bigger projects with the car. Things I want to do:
    -upgrade to denso starter
    -move battery to trunk
    -convert to unequal length half shafts
    -plumb FMIC
    -replace carpet and restore interior trim pieces

turbo addict

Cool, Richard's videos got me motivated to get working on some of my cars as well. I look forward to pics of your progress!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would look at the grounds on the light sockets for the dim bulb issue. That's always the cause when it happens to me. A new pigtail for cheap should solve the issue in a couple minutes.

Hybrid booster

I installed a new negative battery cable end as it was in very poor condition. I will be installing a new positive also, but it isn't nearly as bad and I didn't have much time yesterday. I cleaned the PM 10 pin connector and inspected. It is still in good shape. I cut off the 12 pin connector, drilled out all the pins, and reinstalled new pins. Spliced it back to the car. Put everything back together. The car starts and idles great. I let it warm up and I can snap/rev the throttle in the driveway and it sounds great. The test drive didn't go well. The car starts to accelerate hard, but then the engine just dies. I coast to a stop and it has a hard time re-starting. My gut says the fuel sender is being starved of fuel when I get moving. I have about 6 gallons in there, but the sender is really not in the best shape and I don't think it is sitting where it needs to. I will add more fuel today and see if that's all it is. If that doesn't help, I will bring home a fuel pressure gauge and scan tool Wednesday.