Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Garrett booster

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Just caught this thread, and wow.. talk about right place, right time! Always loved these, and it looks to be in great condition. There was one being stored locally where I used to store one of my projects, but the owner obviously was paying for nothing. Heck, I was the one that kept pulling the weeds from around it, and covering it up, even rolling up the window! Would have tried to buy it, but was mucho rusto

Grant

turbo addict

What part of ATL are you in? I have a good frien that lives in Newnan that's a transplant from MI too and he's owned a few TD's. I used to live in Conyers and Lawrenceville.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Nice snag! Hope the title thing works out for you. I wouldn't spend too much until you're sure its going to be yours and legal.

I too just saw this. Great to hear about something like this, although I'm jealous you got SUCH a good deal. I've been scouring the Internet for a $500'ish Charger that is fixable and no luck. Keep up the good work!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Glad to see some progress man! You haven't had an update in a while...getting worried I may have to "adopt" that Charger!

Hybrid booster

bradp - I am located in Marietta Ga, a little bit north of Atlanta.

minigts - There was a guy down here selling a black 85 or 86 Shelby Charger awhile back. He lists turbo dodge stuff on craigslist about once a month. His current ad is showing cars I've seen listed before, so he might still have the charger. I can call and ask him if you want. IIRC it needed an engine but he was including one in the sale. He didn't want much either, maybe 800 bucks.

Matt - You're welcome to come work on it anytime! We still need to hang out sometime. Things have calmed down a bit so I'm open on weekends again lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    bradp - I am located in Marietta Ga, a little bit north of Atlanta.

minigts - There was a guy down here selling a black 85 or 86 Shelby Charger awhile back. He lists turbo dodge stuff on craigslist about once a month. His current ad is showing cars I've seen listed before, so he might still have the charger. I can call and ask him if you want. IIRC it needed an engine but he was including one in the sale. He didn't want much either, maybe 800 bucks.

Matt - You're welcome to come work on it anytime! We still need to hang out sometime. Things have calmed down a bit so I'm open on weekends again lol.
    Man find out something. I really need a car, although I'm looking at some cars in MI (Conquest), but I'd take a tiny project car to transplant! If he has anything for sale, I'd be interested to find out what.

Thanks man and keep working on the car, it will be awesome!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post

Very true! The yardage has been pretty crappy lately at the Pull-a-Parts, but Pick-a-Part has an intact 89 T-2 Lebaron GTC and a few other turbo mopars.

Hybrid booster

Not much headway on the car itself, but good news on the title. I finally figured out exactly what I need to do to get a legit title for the car. Basically a 4 step process.

1) get a title bond, I found a local company do get me a legit bond for $125

2) fill out some papers and get them notarized, found out my boss at work's wife works at a bank and can notarize anything I need.

3) have a police officer come out and inspect the vehicle and fill out some paperwork, I have all needed paperwork printed off and ready to go.

4) bring all above items to tag office and apply for title in my name and pay $18

Basically I have everything I need set up, just have to do it! I ran a carfax today and ran the VIN at the NICB.org website. The car appears to be clean and not stolen or anything, so that's good. I plan on having an officer come out this week to inspect the car, and as long as that goes good, I will then purchase the title bond. My wife and son are on vacation all week with her family, so it gives me some free time to get everything done. I might borrow my father-in-laws pressure washer and blast the entire car. All the broken interior parts are removed and a list made of what I need. I am going to MI to visit my family at the end of the month, and plan on hitting a very good Junkyard with my dad, hopefully I will find everything I need interior-wise as I know they have tons of TD's.

On a side note, I sadly missed a good deal on an entire engine for the car. Found on craigslist "1986 dodge 2.2 engine removed from totaled car many years ago. Car had 36,000 miles when removed. Spins over freely. $300" Would have been a great deal, but add was gone today.

turbo addict

great news man hope all works out for you keep the posts coming
    HOOSIER SDAC vice pres. 1993 IROC R/T 1 of 90 emerald green 1985 DC SHELBY CHARGER 1985 DC TURBO Z DAYTONA

Hybrid booster

Well, I have all the interior pieces I need except the center console arm rest. I may have to try and re-cover that piece myself. I just had a police officer, literally 5 minutes ago, come out and inspect the car and fill out the required paperwork. No issues with the inspection and the officer seemed pretty cool and thought it was a cool car. I may apply for the title bond tonight, that way I can buy it when I get paid Thurs!

That's awesome news, best of luck and congrats!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

The TM gods are watching out for me. More updates to come later, but I basically just got the entire top end off an 88 T1 daytona for $50. The BRAND new head was installed, engine started knocking, and car driven home and parked 2 years ago. Basically the head I just bought has less than 20 miles on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hybrid booster

Craigslist add said "1987 Shelby Daytona parts for sale."
    I called to see what all the guy had. Basically, he's and old school TD guy and bought this daytona to put a V8 out of a Shelby Dakota into. He wanted to see the engine parts go to a good home. Supposedly, he picked the car up from a mechanic, who put a brand new cylinder head on the car, and then the customer never payed, so the car sat. He saw the car sitting there, and picked it up. He actually drove it home, and the bottem end developed a small knock. I asked if he'd just sell the brand new head and for how much. He told me "whatever you can afford, I just want to see somebody use it." I was stoked. Went and picked it up today. Must have been an 88 because it doesn't have a log intake. Basically I got a brand new head and a good start to a T2 conversion! Also made a friend, he want's to cruise once I get the car done.

turbo addict

What may be in your favor is that many TM's get what people think is a knock and its actually wristpin rattle. If there isn't any material in the head or in the cam journal area chances are you had a very good score and it wouldn't be a bad idea to look into the bottom end if your looking to go T2.

Hybrid booster

I'm not sure I'm going to go T2 yet, just want to have the parts around just in case. I would like to get the car running in stock form. I like the idea of an all original resto. I feel like if I'm going to mod a car for speed, I will probably get an ES turbo model or something like that. The head really is in amazing shape. The spark plugs in it look like they just came out of the box lol. Theres an overheat button glued to one side of the head and it says "Dover Cylinder Head" They are a very well known company around here, and are the same company we use at work. I probably will pull the cam this weekend and have a look. Finding this has got me re-motivated!

Mitsu booster

Just saw this thread, congrats on such a sweet find and a great save! Would've been a shame to have seen it go to the yard, I'm glad you were at the right place/right time! I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, cant wait to see it up and running!

turbo addict

Good call on the keeping it an original resto. My friend and his dad raced a while back when his dad had an 87 SC all stock and he had an all stock 88 Shelby Z tona. The log car kept right up with it. An SC can be a fun car and still look original. Glad your going to be able to get the title. That stops too many potential saved survivors all too often.

Hybrid booster

Pulled the cam out today, the came journals look great. Started cleaning the head up a little, no major cracks between the valves. Did find some cracks beetween the cross-drilled hole and the triangular water jacket. From my research, that is no big deal really. My buddy at work who has built alot of engines told me to pull the cam, and pour some parts washing liquid or gas down the intake/exhaust ports to see if the valves and seats seal good. Unfortunatly, mine don't seal at all lol. Head will have to go to machine shop I suppose.

Hybrid booster

All the paperwork to obtain a title is in order. I am heading to the DMV Monday after work! This is almost as exciting as when I got the car! I also borrowed an engine stand from somebody at work and am getting ready to pull the motor. My father-in-law keeps hinting at getting me a propane heater for the garage for x-mas, so it could be a productive winter for the SC. My goal is to drive it on my birthday, April 5, so we'll see how it goes. Expecting my second son at the end of Dec. also, so that will put the Charger on hold lol.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast