Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Hybrid booster

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Got a lead on two complete T2 engines, both out of Maserati TC's. Junkyard about 30 miles away. Supposedly one of them is wrecked with 40k miles on the clock. I'm going to go check them out Friday, if it all looks legit then the Charger will get a T2. The price he was talking over the phone seemed fair.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    Got a lead on two complete T2 engines, both out of Maserati TC's. Junkyard about 30 miles away. Supposedly one of them is wrecked with 40k miles on the clock. I'm going to go check them out Friday, if it all looks legit then the Charger will get a T2. The price he was talking over the phone seemed fair.
    Look over the TCs really well. There are a lot of parts on them which sell well.

Hybrid booster

So, I've been collecting parts for a T2 swap and some other misc. stuff. I was debating on a PS delete, but think I am going to keep it since the right parts are hard to come by. I picked up an A/C delete alternator bracket off ebay and a 4'th cylinder coolant mod off a member on a different forum. I've been wanting to go to the Pull a Part north of Atlanta because they have an 88 Lebaron Turbo listed on inventory. My awesome wife surprised me yesterday by finding a babysitter for the kids and coming out to the junkyard with me! Sadly it was a T1 car that was picked to pieces already, but I did snag the throttle body off it. I also found the newer style AIS wiring pigtail, 4 wire O2 pigtail, and a ND alternator. I was going to snag some 60mm KH brake calipers/brackets off a mini van, but didn't bring a big enough socket for the bracket bolts. I'm going to take a day off this week and head the junkyard that supposedly has two T2 engines. If all goes well,i'm gonna snag one of those and throw it in. I'm going to re-build the front suspension while it's all apart, i'm sitting on some rockauto gift certificates from my birthday for that. Parts i'm looking for if anybody has something they want to sell:

ND starter
    Passenger side "long" axle from an 89/90 Omni to convert to unequal length axles

Hybrid booster

I took the day off today and drove out to the junkyard with the Masi's. Here's the story: The guys at the junkyard knew the guy that owned them. Apparently this guy was known to collect oddball cars. He bought the two Masi's some years ago with an intent to restore them. Guy got sick, passed away. Junkyard picked them up because they figured they could make some money off the parts. They are sadly both in pretty rough shape. It appears the tops have been partially open for a good amount of time, etc. I was told they both ran fine when brought to the yard, and one of them had under 40,000 mile on it. The other one was supposed to have around 160k. Both 89 T2 cars. The higher mileage one has a common block, the lower mileage one has a non common block. I'm picking up the low mileage non common block engine Saturday. It looks CLEAN. I'm getting the long block, manifolds, turbo, air cleaner assy, intercooler, and tubing.

Hybrid booster

Long day, but the engine is home safe

Hybrid booster

Engine on the stand, being tore down. Sadly it looks way better on the outside than the inside. May be low mileage, but appears that oil changes were very few and far between. On a positive note, the turbo has very little play, although there is some oil in the intercooler. I may need to take a break from this project, it's testing my patience.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Take a week or two off, don't let yourself get burnt out. A bit of vacation from a project can be the best thing for it (and you ).

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Been talking with some friends and thinking about this project a lot. Here is the plan:

1) Tear this engine down to the rotating assembly, clean and inspect everything. Replace any parts as needed. Looks un-molested inside, has forged crankshaft. Just sludgy.
    2) New seals and gaskets all the way through.
    3) Install cylinder head from the engine that was in my Charger as it was completely gone through already and ran great.
    4) Install engine, mount Masi Intercooler, try to use Masi lower intercooler hose, custom upper intercooler hose, K&N cone filter on turbo, 4'th cylinder coolant mod, GLHS stage 2 LM

Hybrid booster

I've been super busy to say the least. We had family come visit in May, my daughter turned 1, my son turned 9. June was much needed time to catch up on things around the house and hoard parts for the Charger. A friend of mine gave me a little utility trailer that I needed to use, so I've spent some time re-wiring that and getting it road legal again. This included installing a hitch and wiring our 2013 Grand Caravan. Anyway, we've set a date for a much needed garage sale. This will force me to get the garage clean and back in order, at which point I can start working on the car again. I've got all the new gaskets and everything I need to go through the engine. I've also acquired a GLHS stage 2 LM and 4'th cylinder coolant mod adapter.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Congrats, that was a wonderful find. I am truly happy for you, but a little envious as well. LOL Save its life, it will be worth it. :-)
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Hybrid booster

Fabricated a homemade crank timing sprocket puller today at work, it's not pretty, but it worked like a charm! Bought an upper intercooler hose and BOV off another forum member. Found some terminals to do the T2 wiring swap, same as Chrysler stereo connector pins which I had laying around. My cylinder head is slightly warped, .006. Local machine shop said they could straighten it in their oven for $50. That's where things are at right now.

Was it warped through the cam journals. If so it would be interesting to find out the name of the shop or the name of the process by which they can straighten it. This is a problem that is worsened by milling the head.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Hybrid booster

T2 wiring swap has begun. New LM is in, pins added to correct terminals, wire is ran. Need to solder two wire to new LM pins then solder 2 connectors under the hood. Bringing some parts to work Monday to clean up. I've got two 3 day work weeks coming up and a 5 day weekend in between. I am feeling motivated.

Hybrid booster

Lots of research on aluminum cylinder heads lately. Been online and talking to some folks. I've come to the conclusion that aluminum OHC heads should always be straightened and then remove as little material as possible. Straightening them tends to get the cam journals back in line if also warped. I haven't measured my cam journals yet, but will Monday. Link to a video on how it is done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z4vA8ZhLPc

Thank you, that is a great piece of information. My machine shop didn't seem to know about this awhile back. Working on a friends Rampage which will be getting an 89000 mile 2.5. So if that head is warped, we have an option.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Years ago on allpar (its been awhile) this came up, until then I never thought about it but it made sense after hearing someone mention it. Would doubt most of the mass reman places even bother to check for the cam journal alignment before buzzing away at the deck surface.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

My machine shop actually checks the cam journals first but didn't seem to have a solid recommendation on what to do about it. I intend to show this to them. They ported and flowed My head and I was pleased with the results.

Hybrid booster

So the cam journals on this head are not warped one bit. I don't think I have the head-gasket surface clean enough to get an accurate reading. The more I look at this cylinder head compared to the other three I have, the more I realize how great of shape it really is in. I'm half tempted to just slap it on without sending it to the shop... Many parts have been cleaned up and ready for installation.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

If everything checks out, no need to pay someone to say "it's ok...", but if you have doubts, better safe than sorry.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

It couldn't hurt to use a Cometic head gasket if you don take machining actions.