Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Hybrid booster

Re: 1986 Shelby Charger Saved from the JY!

Boost gauge is hooked up completely

Hybrid booster

Things left before safe test drive:

New tires
    Repair or replace radiator
    Get license plate
    Get a scan tool hooked up to monitor data

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

I removed the radiator today, it took all of 5 minutes lol. I am going to try to get a quote to have it repaired that way I can decide if I will fix or buy new. Working a lead on a set of used tires with very little use on them.

Hybrid booster

Alright so the radiator is out and at my work. Monday I will remove the fan and everything and get it sent to the radiator shop. In the meantime I will clean and paint the fan shroud and mounting brackets. The used tire deal fell through so I am looking to buy new BUT my wife is on maternity leave from work and we are saving for a vacation next month so the tires will have to wait. I am hoping to have the radiator in and license plates before vacation.

Hybrid booster

Went to tag office today but they couldn't verify my insurance in their system so no license plate Found out my insurance company had the vin wrong! Called them and got it fixed, and also got a quote on a better policy with an agreed upon value of $2500. Will try the tag office again monday. Radiator not sent out yet, the only parts guy at work I trust to give it to is on vacation till monday...

Hybrid booster

Oh and the alternator on my daily went out today when I was almost home from work (06 dodge stratus 2.4) so that set me back $110 luckily it is super easy to install just finished it up now.

Hybrid booster

Car is in the front yard right now while I clean out the garage... again... I'm starting a new job this month. The new job will be 11 miles from home vs 40 now. It pays better, and supposedly I won't work Fridays much, if at all. Time and money may just be starting to look better.
    Last edited by RattFink; 11-21-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Great to hear that! I was almost going to call you out on not posting updates, but expectedon't there was a good reason.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

Phew first week at the new job done! Went good. Working Fridays will be rare! Brought my tools home from my old job so I have everything on hand now, no having to bring tools home for the weekends! I'm going to buy a new radiator for the Charger next weekend, hoping to catch a black Friday or cyber monday deal. Charger is lonely in the front yard still but I did pull the battery and hook it up to the battery charger. My wife got rear ended in the van yesterday damage doesn't look bad, but will hear from the ins. company Monday.

Hybrid booster

I was doing inventory at my new job today, found a Chrysler Star-Scan, DRB 3, and an OTC4000 with 83-86 Chrysler Cartridge!!!

Score!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster

[/IMG]

Hybrid booster

Noticed some rust under the battery tray, pulled the tray, power module, coolant res. for access. I'm gonna clean it up a bit and spray it with some paint just to prevent it from getting worse. Car started right up and idled great, pulled it back into the garage. It's NICE having all my tools at home. Also can't wait to borrow that OTC4000 and hook it up

You've got lots of room in that driveway for a few more turbocars And that OTC is a handy tool, I enjoy owning one, congrats!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Been busy but got some work done on the car. The daytona radiator went in, battery tray cleaned and painted, under battery tray cleaned and painted also. Just need to get a different upper rad. Hose and some coolant. Oh and my battery is junk but think I can still get a free replacement from Costco, 36 month free replacement warranty.

Hybrid booster

Day off today. Finished radiator install with new upper radiator hose. Added coolant. Fixed a leak. Went to costco and returned the failed Kirkland brand battery, they gave me a full refund, and now sell interstate batteries so got the new interstate and ended up with 10 bucks in my pocket lol! 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane, cars been running awhile now. Fan has cycled on/off 4 times. The longer it runs the better it runs.

Hybrid booster

Hybrid booster

Of course as I mention how good it runs, it randomly stalls out! Started up but ran poor. I did hose down the engine bay where some coolant had spilled over. I shut it off, let it sit awhile, then it went to starting and immediately stalling out. Fuel pump was still priming. I wiggled the connections at the power module and unplugged/plugged in the 2 HEP connections and it started up and ran ok, pulled it into the garage. That's it for today. 4 new tires and it's road worthy. I'm thinking a new HEP and sending the injectors out for cleaning would be a good idea too.

Definitely get the injectors serviced, they are key to it running well and getting proper gas mileage, don't just have them "cleaned", send them to someone like RC Engineering ( http://www.rceng.com/ ), they'll get them clean and balanced, with a proper spray pattern, which will go a long ways toward a happy driving experience!

Be sure to check the cap for moisture after a hose-down, and I'd suggest re-setting the IAC to be sure that's not the issue, your recently acquired automotive library and scan tool should make it an easy thing to do (compared to those of us not so blessed!).

As a matter of "old car maintenance", I'd recommend cleaning and re-greasing the pins in the Power Module, seems they get sketchy as time goes on, and a good de-oxidizing and weather proofing (greasing) will also go a long way to ensure trouble-free fun.

Looks like you'll be on the road and having fun with it this spring/summer!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast