Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40 way L-body bulkhead connector

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Re: 40 way L-body bulkhead connector

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    I fully agree Rich. I was thinking about the wiring for the headlights. I think I'll do it just in case I don't get the relays done before getting it running. I know me...lol.
    I don't have the external headlight relays yet either. I consider it a lower prioirty in my wiring than getting things running....

While you are doing all of this you should put in a 1G neon power distribution center fuse box.

The Neon PDC can be used to replace all of your fusible links and relays with a single box. The wire colors are even mostly the same. I have scans of its schematics if you would like them.

It should even have 2 extra relays to use for your high and low beams for most people. I used them for other features with megasquirt but they could just as easily be used for headlights. Just get two of them from the junkyard and populate the unused sockets with wires from the second PDC box.

I have the starter, ac, fuel pump, ASD, AC, and Fan relays all in the box.

I had to change a few relay connections because they use a solid state fan relay to control fan speed and I just used a standard one for a single speed. That change was really easy and I can post up the changes for that.

After putting all of the stock relays in the PDC You should still have 2 spare relays and the unused neon horn relay and a fog light relay after changing the old ABS relay to a fan relay.

Plus you can reuse the neon horn relay for something else (they had a grounded horn so they needed a relay to power the horn where ours is powered).

I am really liking the PDC compared to random relays all over the engine bay.

In my case, I am also using one as a purge relay (megasquirt transistor isolation setup similar to fan control), Electric power steering switch High/Low relay, and Fan on with AC isolation relay (megasqurit doesn't control this and I want the ac switch to turn on the fan but the fan shouldn't turn on the AC).

-Rich

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I don't have the external headlight relays yet either. I consider it a lower prioirty in my wiring than getting things running....

While you are doing all of this you should put in a 1G neon power distribution center fuse box.

The Neon PDC can be used to replace all of your fusible links and relays with a single box. The wire colors are even mostly the same. I have scans of its schematics if you would like them.

It should even have 2 extra relays to use for your high and low beams for most people. I used them for other features with megasquirt but they could just as easily be used for headlights. Just get two of them from the junkyard and populate the unused sockets with wires from the second PDC box.

I have the starter, ac, fuel pump, ASD, AC, and Fan relays all in the box.

I had to change a few relay connections because they use a solid state fan relay to control fan speed and I just used a standard one for a single speed. That change was really easy and I can post up the changes for that.

After putting all of the stock relays in the PDC You should still have 2 spare relays and the unused neon horn relay and a fog light relay after changing the old ABS relay to a fan relay.

Plus you can reuse the neon horn relay for something else (they had a grounded horn so they needed a relay to power the horn where ours is powered).

I am really liking the PDC compared to random relays all over the engine bay.

In my case, I am also using one as a purge relay (megasquirt transistor isolation setup similar to fan control), Electric power steering switch High/Low relay, and Fan on with AC isolation relay (megasqurit doesn't control this and I want the ac switch to turn on the fan but the fan shouldn't turn on the AC).

-Rich
    Thanks for the offers, Rich. Yes, I would be very grateful for the schematics. Where did you put the PDC? I would have to check out where to put it in mine. I was thinking over the trans or over the vapor canister, as the extra wiring doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in it being out if the way if i need to pull the drivetrain out.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Thanks for the offers, Rich. Yes, I would be very grateful for the schematics. Where did you put the PDC? I would have to check out where to put it in mine. I was thinking over the trans or over the vapor canister, as the extra wiring doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in it being out if the way if i need to pull the drivetrain out.
    I am just going to put it on the driver side next to where the battery was. It should fit either there or on the shock tower. I moved my battery for space a long time ago so it makes things easy for me.

Here is a schematic of the PDC.

I can redo them by hand if there is any issue with the chryco diagram being posted.

Most of the 95-99 Neons don't seem to have ABS(or the relay is external?) so that relay was unpopulated. I wired it up as the radiator fan relay via the radiator fan fuse.

That leaves an extra 3 relays(horn, fog lights, and an unused) more than what our cars have stock along with an extra MAXI fuse(ABS) and 4 extra MINI fuses(horn, fog lights, stop lamps, interior lights).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99 Neon PDC Fuses.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	20774

Name:	99 Neon PDC scematic2.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	20773

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I am just going to put it on the driver side next to where the battery was. It should fit either there or on the shock tower. I moved my battery for space a long time ago so it makes things easy for me.

Here is a schematic of the PDC.

I can redo them by hand if there is any issue with the chryco diagram being posted.

Most of the 95-99 Neons don't seem to have ABS(or the relay is external?) so that relay was unpopulated. I wired it up as the radiator fan relay via the radiator fan fuse.

That leaves an extra 3 relays(horn, fog lights, and an unused) more than what our cars have stock along with an extra MAXI fuse(ABS) and 4 extra MINI fuses(horn, fog lights, stop lamps, interior lights).

Name:	99 Neon PDC Fuses.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	20774

Name:	99 Neon PDC scematic2.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	20773

-Rich
    Thanks a bunch. I don't have A/C on mine so that opens up another one(not that I'll ever have a use for it) but you never know. They are fine, I just open them in another window and expand. Can read it all pretty well.
    Bryan

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I made a small pdf file showing the terminals and wires in the L-body underhood bulkhead connector. It shows some upgrades in wire size for many of the terminals.
    Old thread, I know.

Bryan, are you able to point out which wire is the ignition "RUN" circuit? There are a red and a pink wire labeled "Ignition Switch".... Is one of those the "RUN" circuit?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

When I get home tonight, I'll take a peek at the info. If someone else comes in and answers it, that would be fine.
    Bryan

They both hit the same place, in the stream of the power wire from the battery. They both have fuses, each just needs to have the correctly rated fuse. I'm going through the manual now.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Nevermind.... it looks like it's the dark blue wire in position 38. Duh

Thanks, guys. Sorry to waste your time.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Here is page 18 with the ignition switch.

Name:	page-18.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	56495
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12