Thread: GLHT with one piece intake

boostaholic

GLHT with one piece intake

Decision time on which way to go with my 86 GLHT, silver on silver
    restoration.
    I have all the parts to swap it over to GLHS specs, but I don't want to cut the hood drain off.
    Will a one piece fit with no modifications?
    Jay and I were talking yesterday, he thought the most I would need to do is remove the extension piece that drains to the cowl area.
    Can anyone confirm or has done this?

Thanks!!

turbo addict

Re: GLHT with one piece intake

I know a one piece will fit under an un-cut Shelby Charger hood. I think the Omni works the same.

turbo addict

yea it works with no cutting but YUCK for a nasty intake manifold. Tin snips work well to cut the drain off cleanly.

boostaholic

Thanks guys!
    GLHS conversion it is.

Hybrid booster

Depends on what you're doing with the car Keith. The 2-piece flows better in high RPM's, but a 1-piece is better for low-end torque. My dads GLHT auto-x car has a one piece on it(obviously for an auto-x application the low end throttle response and torque are a big bonus). Clears the stock hood just fine, no trimming required, and it works great!

turbo addict

bahh, that's a myth. I believed that myth and when I got my 87 T2 daytona I ripped the 2 piece off and put on a ported exhaust manifold and a 1 piece on it because I felt the car needed more low end torque. So after the swap I go and back it out of the garage. Hmmm better torque from idle up to 3grand. Can now let the clutch out and not fear stalling it. Get on the freeway, up past 3 grand. EWWW what's this roughness to the revs?!? Try it again, same thing. Not that buttery smooth rpm climb up past 5500 it used to have. So I sat back and thought about what was wrong. After a while I sourced another 2 piece and bolted it on. I lost none of the torque I had gained and the smoothness through the rpms was back. All the torque came from the ported exhaust manny. The 1 piece was choking the car off and starving it for air. They're junk.

You should cut apart a 1 piece and see how badly designed they are.
    later Dick Westerhof

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

The drain pan can be removed completely by drilling out the spot welds that hold it on. Then it can be replaced easily if you ever decide to restore the car Plus looks cleaner.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by boost geek View Post
    You should cut apart a 1 piece and see how badly designed they are.
    You should look in my gallery and see what I did to a one piece.
    This is not going to be a race car, I already have one.
    This car is super clean, just a restoration.
    Didn't mean for this to be a 2 piece is better than a one piece discussion.
    I think we could all agree a one piece/GLHS is better than a log/suck through setup?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    You should look in my gallery and see what I did to a one piece.
    The only way to run a 1 piece is heavily modded but that can be a lot of work.
    I think we could all agree a one piece/GLHS is better than a log/suck through setup?
    I don't, when I was very limited on funds and didn't know any better listening to Gary D saying the intakes were equal in performance I bought a 1 piece for my T2 conversion in my GLH. Had a friend port the bumps out of the runners and put it on my GLH. I even threw on a ported exhaust manny at the same time. I couldn't afford a T2 rad/ic combo just yet so I went out and drag raced it anyway at the same boost I was running with the log. Guess what, over the whole summer I couldn't match the ET I got with the log intake. Best I got was a 14.8 vs the log's 14.7.

So I don't agree that the 1 piece is a better intake. Easier to i/c? yes. Better flowing than a log setup? No.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    The only way to run a 1 piece is heavily modded but that can be a lot of work.

I don't, when I was very limited on funds and didn't know any better listening to Gary D saying the intakes were equal in performance I bought a 1 piece for my T2 conversion in my GLH. Had a friend port the bumps out of the runners and put it on my GLH. I even threw on a ported exhaust manny at the same time. I couldn't afford a T2 rad/ic combo just yet so I went out and drag raced it anyway at the same boost I was running with the log. Guess what, over the whole summer I couldn't match the ET I got with the log intake. Best I got was a 14.8 vs the log's 14.7.

So I don't agree that the 1 piece is a better intake. Easier to i/c? yes. Better flowing than a log setup? No.
    Was the temp the same both times you raced it with the different intakes? Was there a difference in the mph? Was anything else changed with the intakes like the logic module when converted to blow thru setup?

turbo addict

Raced over the whole summer with the T1 setup. Swapped and raced the next summer with the 1 piece non-intercooled. It ran an MP 85 T1 LM and a grainger valve at 15psi with the suckthrough and a 87 T2 LM with the 1 piece. So yes at some point the temps were close enough to the same. MPH was 97ish with both cars. Been a while since I've gone over the time slips, but remember the 1 piece running 14.8 and the suckthrough running 14.7 consistently.