Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turbo 1 expectations?

Mitsu booster

turbo 1 expectations?

I have a stock 85 shelby charger. It has never been messed with. Bought it from the original owner{older guy} 2 years ago. I'm not interested in doing a t2 upgrade or adding an intercooler yet. I was thinking about doing a 2.5 inch exhuast from the turbo back with a high flow cat and splitting it to dual exhuast at the rear axle with 2 california turbo mufflers. [The swingvalve is still 2.25 but will accept the bigger pipe.] Also thinking of adding a stage 2 cal[14psi]. That's all i would like to do at this time. What kind of performance gains should I expect and any guess as to what it would run at the track[1/4mile]? Also, will removing the cat make a large difference? Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: turbo 1 expectations?

Removing the cat would make a huge difference. You won't see much of a performance gain by splitting the exhaust if any though. Your best bet is a 2.5" kit from one of the vendors and a straight through muffler.

The track times will depend greatly on what tires you are running. Slicks will be a huge benefit there.

As a side note, there aren't many original TI L body cars anymore. You may want to consider keeping it that way. If I buy another TI log car I will leave it be. You could always run alky to cool things off and boost octane while running very fast.

boostaholic

+1 to what Cordes said. Get some good tires for the car and 14psi with the exhaust should get you well into the 14's. You could probably manage a 13 on slicks. Of course, a LOT depends on how well you can shift and launch the car. There are a lot of rod shifted L bodies that are about a second slower in the 1/4 than they should be

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jckrieger View Post
    +1 to what Cordes said. Get some good tires for the car and 14psi with the exhaust should get you well into the 14's. You could probably manage a 13 on slicks. Of course, a LOT depends on how well you can shift and launch the car. There are a lot of rod shifted L bodies that are about a second slower in the 1/4 than they should be
    Indeed. I would contact minigts here on the boards. He has an awesome set of rods which he makes up to replace the worn out old stuff. They are quick release, but WONT come off unless you want them to.

Garrett booster

I have an 85 also, it is all stock except for a G cylinder head. I have 2-1/2 in. exh with a cherry bomb. I ran a 14.4x @ 97 with about 15 psi. Had severe traction issues, best 60 foot was IIRC a 2.38. With sticky tires it shoud run at least in the 14.0's if not high 13's.

Mitsu booster

Thanks for responding everyone. I found all nos shift rods and ends for it and installed them. Shifts perfectly. Adjustment is the key with the rods. Splitting the exhuast was just for the look, I have 6 mopar musclecars and thought my 69 charger exhuast tips would look cool on it. I restored all of them to stock so leaving the t1 set-up on it goes right along with my thinking. Any other things I can do to the t1 set-up without major mods? Also, would the a525 and axles be able to handle the slicks? I run my 4-speed 70 cuda at the track so shifting the car isn't a concern, no stranger to the track here.

turbo addict

The axles wont be the problem. The 525 will be the weak link. I wouldnt suggest running slicks with that tranny unless you have a spare waiting for a home. You can upgrade the tranny and keep the stock rod-shifter (if you dont want to cut holes in the floor for cables), but it takes some work.

Mitsu booster

would 100 octane be overkill for this thing or is the 93 sufficient?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cudatom View Post
    would 100 octane be overkill for this thing or is the 93 sufficient?
    It depends on how much boost youre running. The t1 is obviously not intercooled, so if youre maxing out the 2 BAR cal (14 PSI) you might run into some detonation especially on hot days. IF thats the case, you can either spray it with alcohol or run race fuel.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    The axles wont be the problem. The 525 will be the weak link.
    +1 that trans won't be able to handle much over stock power levels.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I'm restoring an '86 Turbo I GLH. Keeping it mostly stock, but with a few upgrades.
    Ported Exhaust manifold, 2.5 inch swingvalve and straight through exhaust, no cat.
    MP stage 1 computer.
    Under drive pulley.
    I also added the moly bearing plate and trans girdle to the 525. As well as the shifter link upgrade.
    It won't be a rocket ship, but it should hold it's own on the street.

http://web.me.com/ajakeski/Great_Lak...GLH-Turbo.html

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cdavis View Post
    I have an 85 also, it is all stock except for a G cylinder head. I have 2-1/2 in. exh with a cherry bomb. I ran a 14.4x @ 97 with about 15 psi. Had severe traction issues, best 60 foot was IIRC a 2.38. With sticky tires it shoud run at least in the 14.0's if not high 13's.
    In 85 a 'G' head is stock.

Ron

Hybrid booster

A second muffler and associated pipe will only add weight which is the enemy of performance, especially in a light car like a SC.

Keep your eyes open for a stronger trans. After a trans swap you will NEVER have to worry about it again. If you pull the 525 before you break it you can always put it back if you want to be more original.

Forward Motion used to sell bigger throttle bodies and some other speed parts for the TI (maybe they still do?).
    I remember back in the day an article on a log TI Omni that got all the parts and it made more power than a stock TII. Ported manifolds are always a good idea as well as free flowing exhaust.
    I think loosing the cat on one of these is supposed to be good for 10-15 hp. 2.5" turbo back with no cat will really wake it up and give it a great sound. You get a nice little 'crackle-pop' without a cat.

Ron

Garrett booster

If your interested in some T1 performance items to retain your stock look let me know. I have a 46mm throttle body, ported intake manifold, with newer MP 803 injectors, and some other items as well.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    In 85 a 'G' head is stock.

Ron
    Forgot to mention the engine came from my T1 87 Shadow that I had swapped to a G head.

Mitsu booster

85 is a suck-thru setup, not blow thru. Isn't the throttle body different?

Garrett booster

87 T1 is still suck thru. T1 didn't go to blow thru until 88.

Mitsu booster

Really......What is the stock throttle body then?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cudatom View Post
    Really......What is the stock throttle body then?
    42mm stock. 46mm FM (and maybe LRE had one too?)

Ron

Mitsu booster

what is LRE?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast