Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cordes' Blue GLH

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Cordes' Blue GLH

I picked this car up from Clark this last weekend. It is very rust free on the bottom side, and only surface rust from the lack of paint on the top for the most part. My plan is to eventually swap most everything from my GLHT over to this car.

When I picked it up there were several slight issues which needed resolved before I was to drive the car home 120mi. The caliper on the right front was sticking, and that wasn't too much trouble. We did hear a noise coming from the trans though. Clark jumped right under the car and started pulling stuff away from the bell housing to see if there was a bolt or some such stuck in there causing all the racket. None could be found, so I asked Clark if the fluid was perhaps low. Upon checking the Fluid, we found that it was indeed bone dry and decided that topping it off with used motor oil would do the trick. We started adding it through the funnel with a partially torn Mountain Dew can which we used to fill the radiator. We kept counting, and counting.

I can now say that a 525 trans will hold 13 partially torn Mountain Dew cans of old motor oil out of a kitty litter bucket containing various viscosities (some synthetic too!).

Upon driving the car home 120mi without a problem except for the lack of heat in February with temps in the 20s, I parked her in the drive.

Although the car looked great in the drive, I thought it would be even better in the garage. I had never heard of anyone getting 3 cars in a 2.5 car garage before either so I stepped up to the plate I could get a 3rd Omni in there if I had to. I think I will pick up some wheel dollies before that though.

turbo addict

Re: Cordes' Blue GLH

Good thing you picked it up when you did, if it was still around this coming weekend I was going to try and grab it.

turbo addict

nice look car man
    i have never seen the rear wiper louvers on an omni before that's strange

Please let me help you with the wiring. For the LOVE OF PETE let me help you.... PLEASE..Again I ask..please.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    Good thing you picked it up when you did, if it was still around this coming weekend I was going to try and grab it.
    I picked it up as soon as I could since I knew there would be a good amount of interest in the car due to its lack of rust on the underside.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    nice look car man
    i have never seen the rear wiper louvers on an omni before that's strange
    Same here. I have heard that a unicorn owns a set with a DC whale tail spoiler to go with them, but have never seen pics.

Myself and Clark were talking about it, and he thinks they may have been modified to fit and were perhaps originally for a rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Please let me help you with the wiring. For the LOVE OF PETE let me help you.... PLEASE..Again I ask..please.
    Deal.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice GLH!

Every time I see this car I wonder why I sold it but didn't keep the rear louvers!

120 miles home? Man...LOL, nobody can say you don't have a pair! Looking forward to more pics as progress is made
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Thats the stuff good stories are made of!!

I assume the current car is rusty and thats the reason for the swappage?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post

Shorts in the snow? What do you wear in the summer?

Nevermind.........just don't work near any moving parts and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cool car.......good luck with the swap.

turbo addict

I see we have another GLHT with N/A GLH stickers on it. Like Greg Thewes GLHT. Looks like original paint, or what's left of it.
    Mistake or stealth?
    Good luck on the project!
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Every time I see this car I wonder why I sold it but didn't keep the rear louvers!

120 miles home? Man...LOL, nobody can say you don't have a pair! Looking forward to more pics as progress is made
    According to the odo in the Neon, it was 128 miles and change. The last hour or so was very painful with no heat for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Thats the stuff good stories are made of!!

I assume the current car is rusty and thats the reason for the swappage?
    Yes, the floors in my current GLHT are in need of serious repair, as are the rear quarters and front frame rails.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolV300C View Post
    Shorts in the snow? What do you wear in the summer?

Nevermind.........just don't work near any moving parts and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cool car.......good luck with the swap.
    I'm a shorts year round type of guy. It is hard for me to find pants which fit well, and when I do they are expensive. I usually save them for nicer occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I see we have another GLHT with N/A GLH stickers on it. Like Greg Thewes GLHT. Looks like original paint, or what's left of it.
    Mistake or stealth?
    Todd
    Sorry for the confusion. The Blue GLH is a NA car. The Black one is a factory GLHT. I will probably stick with the GLH graphics again to be somewhat correct to it's origins and also because there were several turbos to get GLH decals that I have read of.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    According to the odo in the Neon, it was 128 miles and change. The last hour or so was very painful with no heat for sure.

Yes, the floors in my current GLHT are in need of serious repair, as are the rear quarters and front frame rails.

I'm a shorts year round type of guy. It is hard for me to find pants which fit well, and when I do they are expensive. I usually save them for nicer occasions.

Sorry for the confusion. The Blue GLH is a NA car. The Black one is a factory GLHT. I will probably stick with the GLH graphics again to be somewhat correct to it's origins and also because there were several turbos to get GLH decals that I have read of.
    Hey Cordes, were the frank and beans so cold you had to stick your finger up your --- and yell snake to pee????
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

so what are the plans for the GLH-T after you steal its motor?

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    do it my way

Quote Originally Posted by moparfwdsleeper View Post
    do it my way
    He's running a LM so it may be more feasible to migrate things to the inside. If he were running a SMEC I would say negative. I know you did it but too much clutter in a small car like that.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Nice! I really need to get working on mine.

Hey Cordes, also I wanted to fill you in with some details of your hood.

Back in 98 I bought my very first turbo Mopar...an 85 Sante Fe blue GLHT out of South Holland, Illinois. Eventually that car was modded with a hood scoop, and I couldn't bear destroying the vented hood. My neighbor at the time owned your carbed GLH, so I removed and donated the turbo hood to him.

In fact, if you ever think about installing your black hood on the blue Omni (and selling the blue hood was an option), I'd be interested in buying it back...it would be a great reminder of the car that started the TM madness
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

I LOVE GLH'S! Good luck with the swap/build
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Hey Cordes, were the frank and beans so cold you had to stick your finger up your --- and yell snake to pee????
    Really it was just my toes which got that cold. I was worried about mild frost bite at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    so what are the plans for the GLH-T after you steal its motor?
    I'm not too sure yet. I have a feeling that I may end up stripping every single part off the body and storing them for a rainy day. It will tear me up to do that since I have so much time and effort into the car, but with the rust it has, no one would realistically give me anything worth the spare parts which are drying up in the yards anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Hey Cordes, also I wanted to fill you in with some details of your hood.

Back in 98 I bought my very first turbo Mopar...an 85 Sante Fe blue GLHT out of South Holland, Illinois. Eventually that car was modded with a hood scoop, and I couldn't bear destroying the vented hood. My neighbor at the time owned your carbed GLH, so I removed and donated the turbo hood to him.

In fact, if you ever think about installing your black hood on the blue Omni (and selling the blue hood was an option), I'd be interested in buying it back...it would be a great reminder of the car that started the TM madness
    Thanks for the info Paul. If I ever do decide to sell it, I will certainly let you know. I will probably end up keeping it for the long haul though, as I hacked up the hood a little on my car to install the hood pins etc.

turbo addict

So the Santa Fe Blue N/A GLH has a vented (turbo) hood on it? That isn't correct either but a good thing!
    Todd

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies
    Mistake or stealth?
    Todd

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast