Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick 8 OR Quick 16???

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Re: Quick 8 OR Quick 16???

So your saying I could be in the quick 16! sweet! (1 of 14)
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    Just to make it clear, there is no SIGN UP for it.

Ahhh, thanks Barry. That does clear it up for me. I didn't race last year so I had no idea how it worked and thought it was something you signed up for.

turbo addict

My only issue with this is the quality of the field. I thought last year was awesome with the cutoff being ~11.7 seconds. With a 16 car field it can get in the 13's easliy again. I think I was actually the last car to qualify with a 13 sec run and though I was proud to be in the field I do not think I deserved to be there.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Waiting till the day of the event to decide could cause a stir to folks that believe they may have been 10th or 11th quickest and we decide on a Q8. The only fair way is to decide now, ahead of time. Then folks either make the cut or don't.

Barry

That makes sense to me.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    My only issue with this is the quality of the field. I thought last year was awesome with the cutoff being ~11.7 seconds. With a 16 car field it can get in the 13's easliy again. I think I was actually the last car to qualify with a 13 sec run and though I was proud to be in the field I do not think I deserved to be there.
    Hey Kelly... if you qualified, you deserved to be there!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Hey Kelly... if you qualified, you deserved to be there!
    Still didn't feel right. I know people broke that well and others weren't running right. I went against Rob in the first round and it was over at the 60. LOL

This was in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    Still didn't feel right. I know people broke that well and others weren't running right. I went against Rob in the first round and it was over at the 60. LOL

This was in Pittsburgh.
    Part of winning is surviving
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

In a way Kelly, it can work both ways. A slower car might get lucky and survive a few rounds, or with extreme luck win every round and come in winner or runner up. It does happen.

But if the elimination field (ladder) is set up correctly, and nobody breaks or red lights, all the slower cars will be out in the first round. What this does, is gives the spectators one extra round to see the really fast cars go down the track. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

It is a shame, from the competitor standpoint, to see as you did, that the race is lost immediately. You entered, made the field, gave it your best shot, but it wasn't enough. Hey that's racing!

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

x2!!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

turbo addict

In a way Kelly, it can work both ways. A slower car might get lucky and survive a few rounds, or with extreme luck win every round and come in winner or runner up. It does happen.

But if the elimination field (ladder) is set up correctly, and nobody breaks or red lights, all the slower cars will be out in the first round. What this does, is gives the spectators one extra round to see the really fast cars go down the track. And there is nothing wrong with that at all.

It is a shame, from the competitor standpoint, to see as you did, that the race is lost immediately. You entered, made the field, gave it your best shot, but it wasn't enough. Hey that's racing!

Barry
    Yes I do understand surviving and getting lucky. I have a heads up class trophy that I was not nearly the fastest car to enter but got lucky and had some competitors red light and well I'm not sure what happend to Larry in the final but he should have easily had me covered.

EDIT:
    Also take into consideration this is coming from someone that very well may end up missing the 8 car field but I would feel confident of getting into a 16 car field.
    Last edited by Turbo3Iroc; 05-20-2010 at 07:39 PM.

BTW, since I can't find the thread where it was discussed ...

We will have a Top Gun award.

It will be based on:

Most votes at Car Show

Best Drag Elapsed Time

Best Autocross Time

We may add Best Drag Reaction Time also, it is being discussed by those planning the award. The Top Gun will have points awarded sort of GRM Challenge style. Most points wins!

It will not cost anything to enter, and there will not be a sign up sheet. To enter the Top Gun award competition, your best drag time slip must be turned in. That will be the item that enters you in the competition.

And turning in drag time slips for your best run will be your responsibility. We will have the vote counts and the autocross times on hand (easily determined). Instructions for this will be in the info packet in the goody bags.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I think it is a great idea to have Q16 and hope that a lot of folks will go out for it. I will be giving the turtle race my full attention, but I may try for other races just because I will be able to get more runs in.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

It will be based on:

Most votes at Car Show

Best Drag Elapsed Time

Best Autocross Time

We may add Best Drag Reaction Time also, it is being discussed by those planning the award. The Top Gun will have points awarded sort of GRM Challenge style. Most points wins!

It will not cost anything to enter, and there will not be a sign up sheet. To enter the Top Gun award competition, your best drag time slip must be turned in. That will be the item that enters you in the competition.

And turning in drag time slips for your best run will be your responsibility. We will have the vote counts and the autocross times on hand (easily determined). Instructions for this will be in the info packet in the goody bags.

Barry
    Yay!

Guess I'm going to try to autocross the OMNI!

I only have 1 Top Gun award hanging up.....and it's getting lonely!

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

It will be based on:

Most votes at Car Show

Best Drag Elapsed Time

Best Autocross Time

Barry
    Sweet...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

i disagree with the cutoof getting up to the 13s. got to give this club alot of credit. just a few of the cars that i think will be there.

slowe
    rob
    stillie
    james FWD
    pat
    reeves
    marra
    JT
    larry B
    warren S
    Rose
    THATS JUST THE 10s!!!

then you have all of us in the 11s. the cutoff,11.7? was missed by quite a few,(i can count on both hands) within a half second.

I wouldnt of brought this up if it didnt make sense.It also keeps the faster to stay on their toes!
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

"...We will have a Top Gun award.

It will be based on:

Most votes at Car Show

Best Drag Elapsed Time

Best Autocross Time........."

BARRY that is an excellent idea, I think all of us can really appreciate any car/driver to acheive the Top Gun prize as outlined. How will you factor/weigh each of the three catagories to arrive at a final total score?

Interesting you include most-votes for the car show, as I was going to suggest when I see you on Saturday that when you read the car show results Sunday you include the # of votes that each car received, that really tells the story of how much margin of victory there was in the votes, sure would be great if you could do that. Also, I think reading the trophy awards in the order of Third-Second-First would be a lot better than last year's announcement order of First-Second-Third. Just a thought, either way is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    i disagree with the cutoof getting up to the 13s. got to give this club alot of credit. just a few of the cars that i think will be there.

slowe
    rob
    stillie
    james FWD
    pat
    reeves
    marra
    JT
    larry B
    warren S
    Rose
    THATS JUST THE 10s!!!

then you have all of us in the 11s. the cutoff,11.7? was missed by quite a few,(i can count on both hands) within a half second.

I wouldnt of brought this up if it didnt make sense.It also keeps the faster to stay on their toes!
    To the point Kelly made, it was only 3 years ago that the cutoff was in the 13's (Pittsburgh when he ran the Q8). Much progress has been made in a very short time.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    "...We will have a Top Gun award.

It will be based on:

Most votes at Car Show

Best Drag Elapsed Time

Best Autocross Time........."

BARRY that is an excellent idea, I think all of us can really appreciate any car/driver to acheive the Top Gun prize as outlined. How will you factor/weigh each of the three catagories to arrive at a final total score?
    It will be done GRM style. I haven't ever run that so I don't know the specifics. Our team of veteran GRM participants are working out the scoring. But if I understand correctly, the first place in a category gets 100 points, then the next place gets a percentage of that based on their time being a percentage of the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    Interesting you include most-votes for the car show, as I was going to suggest when I see you on Saturday that when you read the car show results Sunday you include the # of votes that each car received, that really tells the story of how much margin of victory there was in the votes, sure would be great if you could do that. Also, I think reading the trophy awards in the order of Third-Second-First would be a lot better than last year's announcement order of First-Second-Third. Just a thought, either way is cool.
    Most votes at car show is also how the GRM Challenge is done. This way the the Top Gun isn't necessarily tied to Best in Show, or to Spirit of SDAC. But obviously, most votes in the show will be a car that has won it's class.

We can announce the most votes number, no problem. But the problem with announcing the number of votes for multiple cars or for each car in a class, is that it can cause uneasiness or embarrassment to folks in 2nd, or 3rd place.

Say for instance we award 3 places for the Daytona class because the class has more than 8 cars entered (which is common). But if the 1st place car is a runaway, the announcement could be something like 1st place Marion Hutzel with 53 votes, 2nd place Tim Doyle with 11 votes, and 3rd place Jason Trotter with 6 votes. That isn't too kind to the 2nd and 3rd place winners, while it is the truth, it is sort of tacky to do. We have never had anyone ask us how many votes they got, so we tend to believe it is not an important detail for folks to know.

BTW, I only used those cars and owners as examples as they are Daytona owners of very nice cars that came quickly to mind. It is not necessarily the order I view them in. There was no offense intended, so none of you 3 get your panties in a bunch!

We usually announce in 3rd to 1st order. Craig makes it a point to give me the plaques stacked in that order. If we didn't do it that way last year it was an oversight.

And we are changing the way we do the voting so the counting process will go much faster. We will be going back to tearing the portion of the ballot off and putting it in an envelope with the car, then collecting the envelopes when balloting is over.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

BTW, I only used those cars and owners as examples as they are Daytona owners of very nice cars that came quickly to mind. It is not necessarily the order I view them in. There was no offense intended, so none of you 3 get your panties in a bunch!
    It's cool Barry... I'd be OK runner up to both Marion and Tim, wont be the first time, LOL!

Cool on the Top Gun I remember those from earlier SDAC's ... Hmmm.. to auto cross or not to auto cross

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

To the point Kelly made, it was only 3 years ago that the cutoff was in the 13's (Pittsburgh when he ran the Q8). Much progress has been made in a very short time.

Barry
    Yes we have and for the record I am not against the 16 car field. I just would hate to see us take a step back if a few dont show and a few break or arent running well as like happened in Pittsburgh. With as few of overall cars we get about 1/3 of them will be in the Q16 bracket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast