Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick 8 OR Quick 16???

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Quick 8 OR Quick 16???

It has always been a quick 8, But i do wonder how more exciting it would be if it was expanded to a quick 16? More chances to knock off the big boys(sorry brian LOL!!) and lot more action.
    With the odds that the bump will be in the 10s this year, Maybe its time to think about it.

Any thoughts??
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Re: Quick 8 OR Quick 16???

I wouldn't be against it at all. It doubles the eligible contestants and only adds one round of racing to the event (time consideration). We can do it, no problem. But remember, those extra 8 folks that enter the Q16, would not be eligible to enter the Heads Up race as Q8 (or Q16) contestants cannot run both races. The Heads Up race is for folks that want to race in a heads up category but aren't quick enough to enter the Q8.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

turbo addict

Sounds cool to me more people to watch go fast!!!!
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

Maybe it could be a game time decision, if the top 16 all want in to a quick 16 the do it if not make it 8.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I like the idea... Usually we only have 10-12 cars trying to qualify for the Q8 though.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Is the quick 8 or 16 for that matter for any FWD Dodge or Turbo dodge's only?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Is the quick 8 or 16 for that matter for any FWD Dodge or Turbo dodge's only?
    SDAC events are for all Shelby Dodge and "Shelby Inspired" cars, so pretty much any Shelby car, T-M's, rampages, minivans, neons, Dakotas welcome too. SDAC National Members who may not have a running Shelby Dodge have participated in bracket racing with Rams and Jeeps even.

For the Q8, its typically FWD shelby/mopar cars tho, neons included... not suer if we ever had any other vehicles interested in the Q8?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    SDAC events are for all Shelby Dodge and "Shelby Inspired" cars, so pretty much any Shelby car, T-M's, rampages, minivans, neons, Dakotas welcome too. SDAC National Members who may not have a running Shelby Dodge have participated in bracket racing with Rams and Jeeps even.

For the Q8, its typically FWD shelby/mopar cars tho, neons included... not suer if we ever had any other vehicles interested in the Q8?
    Just making sure Neon where allowed in the quick 8 Thanks JT

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Just making sure Neon where allowed in the quick 8 Thanks JT

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

JT had it pretty much nailed in his post, but let me go a little further.

All of our drag events are open to anyone that pays the drag racing fee. So the bracket race, heads up, quick 8, and test & tune are open to everybody that paid the fee to drag race.

The only restriction we have on cars is that SDAC members can race whatever they want. Non-members must race an SD/TM type of car. Neon's, PT's, and Calibers are included in that definition.

And on second thought, what JT said about the number of cars in qualifying has been true for quite some time. I don't think we have ever had 16 people compete in the qualifying rounds.

So if we expand it to a Q16, then it would be an open event and there really wouldn't be any point in running qualifying sessions except to get an elimination tree structure set up. Maybe we would be better off to stay with a Q8??? We'll give this some more thought and we are open to discussion on it.

Barry

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

well let's all hope we start having 25-30 cars all trying to qualify for the quick 8 so we can expand it to a quick 16. It seems each year there are only about 10-12 cars that "could" possible make the quick eight, but I think mostly because the quick 8 keeps getting faster. last year you needed a 11.70 or faster to make the quick 8, and most were 10 sec. cars. How many 10 sec. cars are there in the sdac world? Hopefully in the next few years that number will continue to increase, and as it does so will the competition for the quick 8But when the elite cars runs 10's and the average sdac car runs 13's there is too much disparity to run all in a quick 16.
    later,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If it's not too much trouble, why not wait till we see how many cars try to qualify to see how big the feild is?Have a cutoff, for example, we need at least 20 different cars try to qualify to make it a 16 car feild.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

+1....
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    well let's all hope we start having 25-30 cars all trying to qualify for the quick 8 so we can expand it to a quick 16. It seems each year there are only about 10-12 cars that "could" possible make the quick eight, but I think mostly because the quick 8 keeps getting faster. last year you needed a 11.70 or faster to make the quick 8, and most were 10 sec. cars. How many 10 sec. cars are there in the sdac world? Hopefully in the next few years that number will continue to increase, and as it does so will the competition for the quick 8But when the elite cars runs 10's and the average sdac car runs 13's there is too much disparity to run all in a quick 16.
    later,
    Cindy
    That's a good point, but even when the spread was larger and the quickest cars ran high 11's, we still only had about a dozen or so cars show up for quals. And it has only been the last couple years that the spread in times has been so tight. It wasn't long ago that an 11 sec car was quickest to qual, and a 13 or 14 sec car (which there are/were a ton of) was the slowest to qual.

But that problem runs through all the drag events. We get 45-50 people to race and a dozen try to qual for Q8, 15 bracket race, and the same number enter the heads up. It seems there are a lot of folks that really just want T&T.

I've never been able to figure out why this is, and I have played with the wording on the drag race info page to encourage folks to enter all races, after all, they've paid for the whole day ...

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    If it's not too much trouble, why not wait till we see how many cars try to qualify to see how big the feild is?Have a cutoff, for example, we need at least 20 different cars try to qualify to make it a 16 car feild.
    I tend to agree with that 100%. Good idea.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    SDAC National Members who may not have a running Shelby Dodge have participated in bracket racing with Rams and Jeeps even.
    And others bring Pontiacs

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    later,
    Cindy
    Well said!

That makes sense ET!

Does the purse get cut in half if we drop from a Q16 to a Q8? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    That's a good point, but even when the spread was larger and the quickest cars ran high 11's, we still only had about a dozen or so cars show up for quals. And it has only been the last couple years that the spread in times has been so tight. It wasn't long ago that an 11 sec car was quickest to qual, and a 13 or 14 sec car (which there are/were a ton of) was the slowest to qual.

But that problem runs through all the drag events. We get 45-50 people to race and a dozen try to qual for Q8, 15 bracket race, and the same number enter the heads up. It seems there are a lot of folks that really just want T&T.

I've never been able to figure out why this is, and I have played with the wording on the drag race info page to encourage folks to enter all races, after all, they've paid for the whole day ...

Barry
    Good luck with that.....I've never understood that either! If I wasn't so busy trying for the Q8, I'd enter the other races too! It's more free passes!!!

Maybe we could do more heads up races based on ET and that would allow more people to try? For example:
    Q8 for cars 14.00 and slower
    Q8 for cars 12.50 to 13.99
    Q8 for cars 10.00 to 12.49
    Q1 for Brian Slowe?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Keep in mind I have to order the award plaques made to match the races run. I will order plaques (in a week or two) that specify Quick 16. So that is the race we will plan on. If we don't get a full field (16 racers), next year we will drop back to a Q8.

But remember, the heads up race is there for those folks that don't actually run the Q16, so if someone doesn't make the cut and qualify for the Q16, they can still run the heads up race (and bracket, turtle, etc).

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Well we could change the name on the plaque to accomodate either a 8 or 16 car feild.

Just call it the "Quick Class Winner", or "Quick Class Runner-Up" instead of "Quick 8" or "Quick 16". That way we can still wait to the day of the event to decide how big the qualifying field needs to be.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I would try for quick 16 but don't think I would have a chance at quick 8 and hence wouldn't sign up. So if people knew there was a quick 16 then maybe more would sign up.

Well we could change the name on the plaque to accommodate either a 8 or 16 car field.

Just call it the "Quick Class Winner", or "Quick Class Runner-Up" instead of "Quick 8" or "Quick 16". That way we can still wait to the day of the event to decide how big the qualifying field needs to be.
    Waiting till the day of the event to decide could cause a stir to folks that believe they may have been 10th or 11th quickest and we decide on a Q8. The only fair way is to decide now, ahead of time. Then folks either make the cut or don't.

We will try a Q16 this year because it has been requested and is easy enough to do. But if we don't get a full field, then it obviously was a wasted effort. It will not hurt at all to give it a try.

And the reason I say wasted effort is that the Q8/16 race is designed to have a balanced ladder of eliminations. So if we hold a Q16 and only get 11 folks to turn out for it. All 11 will qualify, but in the first round someone will get a bye run, and the ladder won't be balanced from the start, and we will end up with another bye run in quarter or semifinals.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad
    I would try for quick 16 but don't think I would have a chance at quick 8 and hence wouldn't sign up. So if people knew there was a quick 16 then maybe more would sign up.
    Just to make it clear, there is no SIGN UP for it.

When the call at the strip for Q16 qualifying is made, you either get in line, or you don't. It is up to you. If 20 folks get in line to qualify, only the 16 quickest will make the cut. But Q16 will be the only race where that applies (qualifying).

Also, there will probably be at least two calls for Q16 qualifying (maybe 3) so everyone that is interested should get in line for all of the qualifying sessions increasing their chances of getting a better time and making the cut.

ALL the racing events that day are included in your drag racing fee. So it is up to each person to decide what they want to do, and that includes any of the organized racing events, or any combination of racing and T&T.

BTW, since we only have 14 people signed up for drag racing at the moment ...

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast