Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock diff strength (413)

boostaholic

Stock diff strength (413)

Since the spider gears in my differential decided to take a vacation last month in my 86 600ES, I'm kind of paranoid that the replacement transmission (which I'm getting through Cindy ) will suffer the same fate. The car is a 2.2 TII converted and intercooled, all stock except for 14lbs boost.

I plan on racing it once in a while and I enjoy a powerbrake burnout on occasion. Should I be worried? Is there something I can have done that can strengthen the differential?
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Stock diff strength (413)

Get the diff pin savers or EAR's-that's what they look like. Dealer or tranny shops, they stop the pin from coming out but won't stop the spider gear damage from one tire burnout's. The only fix is a LSD or try to balance the front weight distribution and/or shim the sway bar per TDG.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

The 87+ autos have beefier differentials and axles. Don't know how much of a difference it would make if you are killing spider gears. Make sure you flush your tranny cooler and buy a new torque converter when you put the new tranny in. Metal is near impossible to get out of the TC.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    The 87+ autos have beefier differentials and axles. Don't know how much of a difference it would make if you are killing spider gears. Make sure you flush your tranny cooler and buy a new torque converter when you put the new tranny in. Metal is near impossible to get out of the TC.
    Not much difference for the internals, aka spider gears.

Agreed, also run an external magnetic filter on the cooler inlet. To help with friction reduction, run a litre of synthetic 5w30.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

I like 15w50

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    I like 15w50
    Ok, there you go,

turbo addict

But I'm going to try some tractor fluid this year, not the universal tractor, not sure if i will pay the $$$ for the John Deere or not but there is another tractor fluid at advance auto parts in a 5gal pail thats similar I think.

boostaholic

89+ has a beefier diff?

I'm aiming for 18-20lbs boost tops, not looking for any serious power. But I do want something that isn't going to shatter when I brake boost like my last one did.

Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    89+ has a beefier diff?
    just the larger bearing on one side iirc

the spiders are still going to be weak. The diff pin savers will save the case from being vented but the spider gears can still get chewed up

When ohiorob was using the open diff he had to put new spider gears in every 3 races or so or they would go. Of course he was running 500hp but the spiders will always be a weak point

For 18-20lbs just getting the pin savers to save the case, put some oil in with the tranny fluid and the open diff should last a quite awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    just the larger bearing on one side iirc

the spiders are still going to be weak. The diff pin savers will save the case from being vented but the spider gears can still get chewed up

When ohiorob was using the open diff he had to put new spider gears in every 3 races or so or they would go. Of course he was running 500hp but the spiders will always be a weak point

For 18-20lbs just getting the pin savers to save the case, put some oil in with the tranny fluid and the open diff should last a quite awhile
    The larger bearing only came on the Neon trans, IIRC, but as you and I both have said, it won't stop killing the spider gears. Only 2 wheel burnouts or an LSD will cure that.

Hybrid booster

In regards to adding motor oil to the auto tranny, what viscosity do you recommend and how much?

turbo addict

1 liter or 1 quart, synthetic not sure if the viscosity matters much but anything from 5w30 to 15w50

turbo addict

Just a little FYI.....If you get the pin retainers, the only real way to tell if they're buggered up is maybe a little noise, but mostly, the amount of movement when the vehicle is in park. It's important to measure the movement in park as a reference when it's first installed in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Just a little FYI.....If you get the pin retainers, the only real way to tell if they're buggered up is maybe a little noise, but mostly, the amount of movement when the vehicle is in park. It's important to measure the movement in park as a reference when it's first installed in the car.
    That's a good tip.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Avoid burnouts. No miracle lubricant, no "diff savers", no tool-steel spider shaft, nothing, will keep the spider gears from welding themselves to the spider shaft with excessive differential speeds.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

The pic is terrible quality but im thinking the pin wasnt the issue here. It seems like the spider gear just broke. A loose fit on the pin could cause that, but so could loose gear mesh due to wear.

How bout some quality pics to assuage my curiosity?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    The pic is terrible quality but im thinking the pin wasnt the issue here. It seems like the spider gear just broke. A loose fit on the pin could cause that, but so could loose gear mesh due to wear.

How bout some quality pics to assuage my curiosity?
    That pic pretty well tells the story,

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Avoid burnouts. No miracle lubricant, no "diff savers", no tool-steel spider shaft, nothing, will keep the spider gears from welding themselves to the spider shaft with excessive differential speeds.
    I always remember you saying this a few years back and I never do big burnouts on my GLHT.
    Hooks with slicks just fine without it, 1.8xx 60's.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    I always remember you saying this a few years back and I never do big burnouts on my GLHT.
    Hooks with slicks just fine without it, 1.8xx 60's.
    Yes, and to this day, my best 60ft's have been with no burnout. Just a dry hop to clean the slicks. 1.7x before the Peloquin, consistent 1.6x with the Peloquin.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

How is Amsoil trans fluid in a 413?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast