Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: K1 rod feedback

turbo addict

K1 rod feedback

K1 rods. Anyone that is running these, do you have any feedback? If your running Pauter, Cunningham, Crower, Carrillo, Eagle, GRP, why did you buy these over others?
    Thanks,
    Todd

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

Re: K1 rod feedback

had them in the 8v engine, i don't think you could max them out power wise in with our engines.

very good product!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    had them in the 8v engine, i don't think you could max them out power wise in with our engines.

very good product!!
    That's good to hear as they about to go into my build and will have to handle 800+ hp.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I know they are good to 7800 and 500ish so far Heck I even did a 5th to 2nd downshift at Fontana and they didn't let go Only let the clutch out for a milisecond but it sounded like 10K RPMS

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

where did you guys buy yours from?
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    where did you guys buy yours from?
    Got mine from Aaron Miller (8valves) who built the engine, but I know he got them from Chris. I think he still sells them?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I am running Eagle rods, I would have got the K1's but I got the Eagles for $200 off Ebay, brand new. So far, they've taken everything I"ve thrown at them. I did have them checked out to which I had been advised to do that, something about crappy machining.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Got mine from Aaron Miller (8valves) who built the engine, but I know he got them from Chris. I think he still sells them?
    Yep, TU sells them.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I am running Eagle rods, I would have got the K1's but I got the Eagles for $200 off Ebay, brand new. So far, they've taken everything I"ve thrown at them. I did have them checked out to which I had been advised to do that, something about crappy machining.

Yep, TU sells them.
    What I don't like about the Eagles is that they need to be bored out for the larger .912 pins, unless you want to install a bushing with a wall thickness of tin foil. When you do that... the small end of the rod becomes thinner, which in my eyes, might not be a good thing when throwing high rpms and a heavy piston at it (ie: forged turbo pistons)

I did modify a set for a 2.2 circle track car last season (who also won the track championship... yay!) that was running consistent 7,000+ rpms with no failures...... then again, the engine ran the LW rods the same super LIGHT Ross pistons for a few seasons with no issues, either.

Major reason *I* want to go with the K1 rods, plus you have to use the SRT-4 rod bearings as well... which are probably not as common on the shelf than the normal 2.2/2.5 set. I also remember they only have -.010 and -.020 sizes. SOL if you need a -.030 or a -.001 (unless the manufacturer stocks them)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    What I don't like about the Eagles is that they need to be bored out for the larger .912 pins, unless you want to install a bushing with a wall thickness of tin foil. When you do that... the small end of the rod becomes thinner, which in my eyes, might not be a good thing when throwing high rpms and a heavy piston at it (ie: forged turbo pistons)

I did modify a set for a 2.2 circle track car last season (who also won the track championship... yay!) that was running consistent 7,000+ rpms with no failures...... then again, the engine ran the LW rods the same super LIGHT Ross pistons for a few seasons with no issues, either.

Major reason *I* want to go with the K1 rods, plus you have to use the SRT-4 rod bearings as well... which are probably not as common on the shelf than the normal 2.2/2.5 set. I also remember they only have -.010 and -.020 sizes. SOL if you need a -.030 or a -.001 (unless the manufacturer stocks them)

That is true but so far, so good. I'll know in a few weeks how well they did as I am pulling the engine apart.

SRT bearings are a minor inconvenience plus I feel that .010 is the max you should go on the crank, maybe .020 if its a good one that's been balanced.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    SRT bearings are a minor inconvenience plus I feel that .010 is the max you should go on the crank, maybe .020 if its a good one that's been balanced.
    So why is that? Please do tell

BTW: have you shipped her out yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Steve and everyone thanks for your comments. I do have a couple ?'s on what you said though. The 2.2/2.5 SRT and Caliber all carry different parts #'s in the K1 brand rod. All slightly different lengths & weights. In a nutshell, If I am reading you correct, you use the later SRT model bearing when using the K1 rod? I also seem to remember reading that.
    I may need to call on these, as K1's catalog lists the caliber/SRT/and 2.2/2.5 rod as having all different crank pin sizes in addition to all different lengths? That doesn't seem correct. I was going to attach the K1 Engineering PDF catalog, but it is too large.
    Todd

turbo addict

Okay saved page 7 only from K1 catalog in pdf document. See attached. specs don't seem correct.
    Todd
    Attached Files Attached Files

turbo addict

Does the caliber use a world engine? only reason I could see the rod being a different length from the mopar 2.4 in the SRT.

So why is that? Please do tell

BTW: have you shipped her out yet?
    Crap, forgot,

Again, my personal opinion, no one else's, that we are already pushing the cast crank and why weaken it more?

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Steve and everyone thanks for your comments. I do have a couple ?'s on what you said though. The 2.2/2.5 SRT and Caliber all carry different parts #'s in the K1 brand rod. All slightly different lengths & weights. In a nutshell, If I am reading you correct, you use the later SRT model bearing when using the K1 rod? I also seem to remember reading that.
    I may need to call on these, as K1's catalog lists the caliber/SRT/and 2.2/2.5 rod as having all different crank pin sizes in addition to all different lengths? That doesn't seem correct. I was going to attach the K1 Engineering PDF catalog, but it is too large.
    Todd
    I can only guess that Chris has them made to his specs, which would most likely use the regular 2.2/2.5 bearing. For our engines and the 2.4L, they are identical in length and big end size but the SRT use a .866 wrist pin, our stock size is .901 and we also use .912 and .927" so that could explain the different part numbers.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

TU is making them on their specs, so you use 2.2/2.5 rod bearings and the wrist pin. i also had mine checked just because i'm anal about it ... didn't have to do anything on them!!

check out my getto "beeing anal about balance"-test

as other people already mentioned, with eagles you have to use srt4 bearings and hone the small end for our wrist pin size...
    + having them checked and machined might sum up your costs and you could have gotten K1's in first place

but thats just my $0.02

turbo addict

TU is making them on their specs, so you use 2.2/2.5 rod bearings and the wrist pin. i also had mine checked just because i'm anal about it ... didn't have to do anything on them!!

check out my getto "beeing anal about balance"-test

as other people already mentioned, with eagles you have to use srt4 bearings and hone the small end for our wrist pin size...
    + having them checked and machined might sum up your costs and you could have gotten K1's in first place

but thats just my $0.02
    Are you sure "TU is making them to thier specs"? The reason I ask is because I have found the exact same rod other places...my point being is that they come from K1 for 2.2/2.5 ready to go.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Are you sure "TU is making them to thier specs"? The reason I ask is because I have found the exact same rod other places...my point being is that they come from K1 for 2.2/2.5 ready to go.
    Their website says "custom" so, I would think and hope he gets them made custom specs. Maybe Chris can chime in.....
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Their website says "custom" so, I would think and hope he gets them made custom specs. Maybe Chris can chime in.....
    Hmmm...yeah I hope so too. I am interested in what extra TU has done to these already nice rods! I found this on another sight:

2.2/2.5L turbo H DH5972AGHB4-A 5.972 606 Bushed w/.901 pin $359.99

So for the almost $150.00 difference there has got to be something special he has done.

turbo addict

So what about the metallurgic content on these rods? Being Chinese can the propaganda be trusted ... like the Dart block knockoffs?

turbo addict

but thats just my $0.02
    I personally do not think TU's K1 rod is a custom spec'd rod. Chris very well could have had some input when they came to market. IMO, he is just ordering the 2.2/2.5 rod vs. the SRT rod. I tried to purchase a set from TU and found the length to be not alterable. I was building a Masi motor and had some JE's with a .866 pin already in hand. Pin diameter was already fixed at .901, so there was going to be another $80-125 charge to rebush and rehone. That tells me they are coming to him already finished. Decided to go another route, as I could get "true" custom made aluminum rods (GRP) for less ching and way lighter.

Okay good info. Sounds like the 2.2/2.5 rods (dh5972aghb4-a) from K1 uses the standard CP-1269 bearing. As DirectConnection was referring that you needed to use the SRT bearing. I would say that would be the case if you ordered the SRT rod.

Using the SRT rod would also make the pistons down the hole another .027. You would need to deck block, head, change piston CH, or run shallower dish piston to compensate. Pin size is also different at .866 or 22mm.
    Todd

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast