Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Clutch/Pressure Plate Combo?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Which Clutch/Pressure Plate Combo?

Might want to PM Pat about his experiences.. he has a used dual diaphragm AND 4puck for sale together for $150 in the for sale section. Honestly, that setup SHOULD hold a 10 second car... but Pat HAS a 10 second car that needs a clutch and he's not putting this back in.. so definitely ask him about it.

From what ive heard him say, the main issue is they trash the thrust bearing in the motor because they put so much end load on the crank while pushing in the clutch. One thing you would need to do to mitigate this is start the car in neutral with the clutch out so that you're not putting all that load on a dry bearing for the first few seconds.

Ive heard multiple people say it is liveable, but ive only ever heard 1 person say they 'sorta liked it', so take that for what its worth.

Ive looked around for opinions on these plates for a while, and to me its worth a shot. Im putting a DD plate with a stock organic disc on my 3.0/543 build. Ill probably also be extending the clutch arm out an inch or two to give me more leverage and a bit softer feel. I should be picking up the plate from FWDP soon, but itll be the first time ive used one so i dont have any personal experience to tell you about.

and i THINK small spline 523/543/568 was 90 only. i think 91 was the beginning of large spline. All pre-90 trannies are small spline.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Might want to PM Pat about his experiences.. he has a used dual diaphragm AND 4puck for sale together for $150 in the for sale section. Honestly, that setup SHOULD hold a 10 second car... but Pat HAS a 10 second car that needs a clutch and he's not putting this back in.. so definitely ask him about it.

From what ive heard him say, the main issue is they trash the thrust bearing in the motor because they put so much end load on the crank while pushing in the clutch. One thing you would need to do to mitigate this is start the car in neutral with the clutch out so that you're not putting all that load on a dry bearing for the first few seconds.

Ive heard multiple people say it is liveable, but ive only ever heard 1 person say they 'sorta liked it', so take that for what its worth.

Ive looked around for opinions on these plates for a while, and to me its worth a shot. Im putting a DD plate with a stock organic disc on my 3.0/543 build. Ill probably also be extending the clutch arm out an inch or two to give me more leverage and a bit softer feel. I should be picking up the plate from FWDP soon, but itll be the first time ive used one so i dont have any personal experience to tell you about.

and i THINK small spline 523/543/568 was 90 only. i think 91 was the beginning of large spline. All pre-90 trannies are small spline.
    I actually already sent him a PM He told me about extending the clutch arm like you were talking about. I'm not going near 10's so i'm not too worried! ha ha. I'll have to see what he'd sell just the PP for

turbo addict

yuck, hated the dual diaphram I had.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    yuck, hated the dual diaphram I had.
    Did you extend the clutch arm??

turbo addict

For putting down the power you are looking for I would suggest a 6-puck clutch and a heavier duty pressure plate (but NOT a dual diaphragm...WAY overkill and not fun to drive, plus it's hard on other parts). I'd definitely talk with Chris over at TU as he'll have a set-up that is perfect for your needs. Trust me, it's worth getting a clutch set-up that is designed to work as a system and not pieced together. Been there, tried that...have the failures and spent money to prove it!

I know there are people that are kind of set against using the vendors, but #1 they support our hobby, and #2 they know their products and what works! Not only that, but they will stand behind their products in case something isn't right.

As for going to an A523 or A568...other than the advantage of being a 3-plane shift pattern there really isn't THAT big of an advantage to doing the swap. If your A520 is OK, I'd look in to having it rebuilt and upgraded...it'll hold whatever you can throw at it at the power levels you are looking to be at. Just my opinion...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dan15 View Post
    Did you extend the clutch arm??
    Even with an extended arm they are VERY stiff with very little throw. I had one...NOT a fan! There are MUCH better options out there for sure!

Hybrid booster

contact 88shadowprjct he has a BIG for sale thread going. in the parts he has there is a clutch set up lurking.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46610

it is a 6 puck w/upgraded pp this was built for him to my spec from my supplier. easy clutch to drive and holds anything he threw at it. my supplier claims it will hold at least of 475 ft/lbs of tq.

Norm

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    For putting down the power you are looking for I would suggest a 6-puck clutch and a heavier duty pressure plate (but NOT a dual diaphragm...WAY overkill and not fun to drive, plus it's hard on other parts). I'd definitely talk with Chris over at TU as he'll have a set-up that is perfect for your needs. Trust me, it's worth getting a clutch set-up that is designed to work as a system and not pieced together. Been there, tried that...have the failures and spent money to prove it!

I know there are people that are kind of set against using the vendors, but #1 they support our hobby, and #2 they know their products and what works! Not only that, but they will stand behind their products in case something isn't right.

As for going to an A523 or A568...other than the advantage of being a 3-plane shift pattern there really isn't THAT big of an advantage to doing the swap. If your A520 is OK, I'd look in to having it rebuilt and upgraded...it'll hold whatever you can throw at it at the power levels you are looking to be at. Just my opinion...
    Well it would've been nice to hear this a little sooner! But oh well. The DD pressure plate arrived in the mail today!
    I went with the DD because I was able to get one for $100 shipped so it was hard to want to spend a minimum of $325 for a whole setup when I could have a setup that can hold 11sec runs for more than a third of the cost.

By being hard on other parts what do you mean?

Even with an extended arm they are VERY stiff with very little throw. I had one...NOT a fan! There are MUCH better options out there for sure!
    I've heard a lot of people say its not that bad, especially with the extended clutch arm. But I guess i'll find out!

turbo addict

This guy obviously wants to go through with a DD PP. Let him find out how much they suck. Hope you like to replace your TO bearing and thrust bearings.

Im definitely getting mine for the right price, and im trying it out of curiosity.

Sorta like i swapped from 2.5 to 2.2 in my spirit out of curiosity. Definitely wasnt an upgrade, but i found out what i wanted to know

I dont care about pulling trannies. It took me about 4 tries to get a clutch to hold in the aries, and that was because i was trying to find the cheapest way possible to make it work. I dont regret that. I like being cheap

turbo addict

By being hard on other parts I mean (in no particular order): engine thrust bearing, throw out bearing, clutch cable, clutch pedal, clutch pedal quadrant, clutch pedal adjuster, throw out bearing actuator rod bushings, clutch cable spacer bushing, and your leg (I think that covers most of it).

I wish you luck with it for sure! I've heard of the few that also like them, but they are far outnumbered by those of us that don't, and there is a reason that TU doesn't even offer them as an option anymore....

turbo addict

Traffic is the only place you will hate it. But even a soft plate with ceramic disc sucks in traffic because of chatter.

But even a soft plate with ceramic disc sucks in traffic because of chatter.
    This is true. I dont like moving the Aries around in tight parking lots for this exact reason. Which is part of why im going to try a stiff DD plate on a stock full-face clutch disc and see what the engagement is like. I want something i can creep around without lurching for my van, especially since ill be backing it up to hitch up to things and such.

Hybrid booster

DD are horrible. never owned one but auto x a 3.0 daytona with one and did some street driving . they DEFINETLY hold power/torque but not worth the trade off. they can be daily driven but are not as easy to use as a ceramic four puck. also MAKE sure you carry a spare clutch cable. the guy with the 3.0 broke a few........

Norm

Garrett booster

By being hard on other parts I mean (in no particular order): engine thrust bearing, throw out bearing, clutch cable, clutch pedal, clutch pedal quadrant, clutch pedal adjuster, throw out bearing actuator rod bushings, clutch cable spacer bushing, and your leg (I think that covers most of it).

I wish you luck with it for sure! I've heard of the few that also like them, but they are far outnumbered by those of us that don't, and there is a reason that TU doesn't even offer them as an option anymore....
    Oh ok thanx for the list! I'll try to check all these parts beforehand to make sure that they aren't already partially broken. So you say TU doesn't offer DD pressure plates anymore??

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    This is true. I dont like moving the Aries around in tight parking lots for this exact reason. Which is part of why im going to try a stiff DD plate on a stock full-face clutch disc and see what the engagement is like. I want something i can creep around without lurching for my van, especially since ill be backing it up to hitch up to things and such.
    I'm hoping the engagement will be smooth and the same as stock but probably require more effort to slowly let it out. But i guess we'll find out!!

Quote Originally Posted by overboostmotorsports View Post
    DD are horrible. never owned one but auto x a 3.0 daytona with one and did some street driving . they DEFINETLY hold power/torque but not worth the trade off. they can be daily driven but are not as easy to use as a ceramic four puck. also MAKE sure you carry a spare clutch cable. the guy with the 3.0 broke a few........

Norm
    Did the daytona have a stock clutch??
    Ya i've heard of the cables breaking a lot! I'll have to make sure and get a new one before i even install the pressure plate. And hopefully using springs and extending the clutch arm will help prevent the cable from ever breaking again!!

Statement retracted.. though i feel CERTAIN that if you call TU and ask for it he will try and talk you out of it. This was the impression i got from the hour ive spoken to him personally.
    Last edited by Vigo; 02-22-2010 at 10:07 PM.

turbo addict

Having run stock clutches and a dual diaphram and a Spec clutch with a moved fulcrum point I will stand by what I say that the DD was the biggest POS ever. Good luck, you'll regret it and kick yourself in the a$$ when you get a clutch with a moved fulcrum point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12