Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Clutch/Pressure Plate Combo?

Garrett booster

Which Clutch/Pressure Plate Combo?

Hey I'm just wondering what people would recommend for me!
    I have a csx-t hoping to be pushing about 225-250whp.
    I have the t3 pressure plate with a t2 clutch and i'm afraid this wont be enough!?

I'm just wondering what combo people use and would recommend for my setup?

turbo addict

Re: Which Clutch/Pressure Plate Combo?

love my Spec Stage 3 clutch. Very light pedal but holds everything my heavily modded 2.5 can throw at it. Light enough and smooth enough to be just fine daily driving it.

turbo addict

what do you expect you will complain about when it comes to driving a performance clutch? I would just upgrade the disc and keep using that plate. Vendors will concentrate on maximizing how much you spend on a clutch but tell you its all about "getting the right product"

I love my stage 2 kevlar clutch, might be a bit over kill, I think its rated for 300+ ft/lb
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    what do you expect you will complain about when it comes to driving a performance clutch? I would just upgrade the disc and keep using that plate. Vendors will concentrate on maximizing how much you spend on a clutch but tell you its all about "getting the right product"
    I expect that the pedal will be harder to push in and that there might be some chatter or on/off type feeling.
    What disc would you recommend?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    love my Spec Stage 3 clutch. Very light pedal but holds everything my heavily modded 2.5 can throw at it. Light enough and smooth enough to be just fine daily driving it.
    Where do you get these?

turbo addict

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I expect that the pedal will be harder to push in and that there might be some chatter or on/off type feeling
    The chatter is i believe only a concern with the ceramic puck clutches, but i could be wrong..

Thats said, thats exactly what i would get. I have a stock t2 or t3 pressure plate and a 4puck ceramic clutch and it has held well enough to dyno 320lb ft to the wheels. The disc itself is around $100.

It DOES make the car somewhat annoying to drive compared to stock, though.

If you want smoother engagement id go for a stiffer pressure plate but keep a full-faced disc. Gaboon here used a dual diaphragm pressure plate (as stiff as it gets) and a stock organic full faced clutch disc to run a low 11 in his charger.

Somewhere in the middle with a stiffer than stock pressure plate and a full-faced disc is probably what you are looking for.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

The 6 puck stage 3 I have doesn't chatter at all.

a 6 puck on a stock pressure plate may be enough to hold what he is planning.. i dont know for sure.

I have heard that the 6 pucks have smoother engagement but i havent owned one.. If they can hold the power on a stock pressure plate and engage smoothly that is probly the hot ticket in this case because you could buy just the disc for something around $100.

turbo addict

IMO clutch work is a -----. I'd rather have a little overkill and deal with the possiblity of it having a little chatter then have the damn thing slip just when you don't want it to. But that's just me and i was told today I was an "effin overopinionated bastard"

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    The chatter is i believe only a concern with the ceramic puck clutches, but i could be wrong..

Thats said, thats exactly what i would get. I have a stock t2 or t3 pressure plate and a 4puck ceramic clutch and it has held well enough to dyno 320lb ft to the wheels. The disc itself is around $100.

It DOES make the car somewhat annoying to drive compared to stock, though.

If you want smoother engagement id go for a stiffer pressure plate but keep a full-faced disc. Gaboon here used a dual diaphragm pressure plate (as stiff as it gets) and a stock organic full faced clutch disc to run a low 11 in his charger.

Somewhere in the middle with a stiffer than stock pressure plate and a full-faced disc is probably what you are looking for.
    The 6 puck stage 3 I have doesn't chatter at all.

So does the 4 puck hold more power then the 6 puck? Because the 6 puck has smoother engagement so it'd be my preference as long as it doesn't hold a lot less power than the 4 puck. I'm just not sure why the 4 puck would hold more? There's less surface are. . . So more pressure per square inch or something?

There's less surface are. . . So more pressure per square inch or something?
    That IS the theory.. but people on this forum have differing opinions, i guess.

For the record, my 320 lb ft was at only 212whp.. on a 2.5. I believe GLHNSLHT2 has made 280tq to the wheels on a 2.5 on 12 psi. Torque is what kills clutches. If you have a 2.2, you won't have as high a tq number at a given power level, so your car will be easier on clutches..

If its a 2.2, i would be fairly confident about a 6puck on a stock t3 plate holding enough torque to get you close to 250whp. But i wouldnt bet money on it, and you HAVE to

But, if you get the 6puck and it doesnt hold, you can just buy a stronger pressure plate and put it over the 6puck and you should have a clutch that will hold as much or more torque as mine has... one of the good things about ceramic puck clutches is that just because you have slipped it doesnt mean it is toast.. you can just rough up the surface again and throw it back in with a better pressure plate! So in that sense the money you would spend on a 6puck is a pretty safe investment.

turbo addict

Hehe, but the Spec pressure plate has a lighter pedal feel than the T3 plate i used to have in the car. Lighter pedal means quicker shifts too

Yep 200/280 on 12psi on a pretty stock 2.5. I'd love to throw it on the dyno with the new head/intake/header and see what she's putting down at 12psi. But I think I'll wait for a bigger turbo 1st.

Garrett booster

That IS the theory.. but people on this forum have differing opinions, i guess.

For the record, my 320 lb ft was at only 212whp.. on a 2.5. I believe GLHNSLHT2 has made 280tq to the wheels on a 2.5 on 12 psi. Torque is what kills clutches. If you have a 2.2, you won't have as high a tq number at a given power level, so your car will be easier on clutches..

If its a 2.2, i would be fairly confident about a 6puck on a stock t3 plate holding enough torque to get you close to 250whp. But i wouldnt bet money on it, and you HAVE to

But, if you get the 6puck and it doesnt hold, you can just buy a stronger pressure plate and put it over the 6puck and you should have a clutch that will hold as much or more torque as mine has... one of the good things about ceramic puck clutches is that just because you have slipped it doesnt mean it is toast.. you can just rough up the surface again and throw it back in with a better pressure plate! So in that sense the money you would spend on a 6puck is a pretty safe investment.
    I have a 2.5 . . . Thats a good idea!! 6 puck, then if it slips, get a better pressure plate! I have a 520 tranny right now and so i'm gonna keep my clutch stock until it either slips or my tranny blows. Then i'll get a 568 or 523 and get a better clutch for that! This way I won't waste money on a clutch for my 520 that won't fit my 568.

Hey i might get lucky and not break anything . . . . .

Hehe, but the Spec pressure plate has a lighter pedal feel than the T3 plate i used to have in the car. Lighter pedal means quicker shifts too
    I can't imagine having anything lighter than my T3 plate. I drove my friends stock WRX and when I jumped back in my car I almost slammed the clutch pedal through the floor!! Maybe its just mine that is easy to depress??

Thanx for all the info and input!! Its helped a lot!

turbo addict

it's lighter at the pedal because they move the fulcrum points in the PP. So the pedal is light but the holding pressure is greater.

turbo addict

oh and as long as you get a small spline 523 you could use the clutch on your 520 and 523.

And you're not likely to break your 520 before your clutch slips.. Remember, ive slipped my 4 puck on a 2.5/520 combo and the trans is fine. Its when you HOOK at the wheels that the tranny cares. A clutch is like a tranny fuse

Also, if you are planning on DEFINITELY switching to a large spline trans in the near future.. the pressure plate will be reusable and the disc may not.. so that may be another reason to just buy a stronger pressure plate first.

And of course all of this assumes that you cant afford or just dont want to buy a several hundred dollar clutch kit from one of the vendors that has a stronger plate AND a better disc.

Garrett booster

And you're not likely to break your 520 before your clutch slips.. Remember, ive slipped my 4 puck on a 2.5/520 combo and the trans is fine. Its when you HOOK at the wheels that the tranny cares. A clutch is like a tranny fuse

Also, if you are planning on DEFINITELY switching to a large spline trans in the near future.. the pressure plate will be reusable and the disc may not.. so that may be another reason to just buy a stronger pressure plate first.

And of course all of this assumes that you cant afford or just dont want to buy a several hundred dollar clutch kit from one of the vendors that has a stronger plate AND a better disc.
    Tranny fuse Good way of putting it ha ha. Good idea on the pressure plate first and then clutch. Right now I can't afford clutch and plate kit.

Who has ran a dual diaphragm pressure plate??? Tell me about the driveability and leg wear please?

Garrett booster

oh and as long as you get a small spline 523 you could use the clutch on your 520 and 523.
    Good point! I need to get the large/small spline trannies and their years memorized!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast