Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Making of the "GLH-R/T"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Another Holset TIII..

Sounds like some fun. You should take a look at the Bosch 044 pump. Looks like it is a larger version of the 255 that doesn't peter out on the top end. SRT4 guys seem happy with it and I was considering putting one into an auxiliary race fuel tank I want to do.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f187...l-pump-514531/

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

very popular in europe...most of the audi and cosworth guys have been using them for years with great success.

i'm currently building a fuel catch tank system with twin 044 inline pumps....should provide plenty of fuel!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    Sounds like some fun. You should take a look at the Bosch 044 pump. Looks like it is a larger version of the 255 that doesn't peter out on the top end. SRT4 guys seem happy with it and I was considering putting one into an auxiliary race fuel tank I want to do.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f187...l-pump-514531/
    Thanks DJ. I was leaning towards running twin Walbros, one in-tank and one external. I may look at running the in-tank Walbro with the 044 external. That should provide all the fuel i'll ever need. Anyone running a external Walbro, how loud/quite is it?
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Thanks DJ. I was leaning towards running twin Walbros, one in-tank and one external.
    I'm running that exact set up...it's loud, but it's not that bad. Next time you're down this way, come by the house. You can hear it for yourself.

Here's a shot for Pat...............since he's gonna be seeing a lot of it at SDAC20
    I'm old Carroll...vision isn't quite what it was. What am I looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I'm running that exact set up...it's loud, but it's not that bad. Next time you're down this way, come by the house. You can hear it for yourself.
    Thanks Pat, I will. Seems like people are saying the Bosch pump is a little quieter and flows better obviously. Both are decently priced.
    Carroll

Hybrid booster

Carrol,

is this your car? There was a guy in the Steel City Chapter trying to sell a Santa Fe Blue GLHT shell a while back. He was from Virginia IIRC. If so, now you have a few more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BLUEGLH2[1].jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	20128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BLUEGLH7[1].jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	520.3 KB 
ID:	20129  

Quote Originally Posted by glhturbo1985 View Post
    Carrol,

is this your car? There was a guy in the Steel City Chapter trying to sell a Santa Fe Blue GLHT shell a while back. He was from Virginia IIRC. If so, now you have a few more pics.
    Yes Dan, thats mine! He sent me those pics.
    Carroll

Hybrid booster

Yep and I was the one selling the car. Glad Carroll is bringing it back to life.

Been making progress and hording parts. I got the wiring harness done and I will say that that was the most un-fun thing I have ever done to a car but, I'm so glad I did it. I owe a big thanks to DJ for answering some questions and his excel sheet, Jeremy aka iturbo for the L-body wiring diagram and Brian for answering some more questions and helping me trace some down circuits. I ended up using the same power distribution box that DJ did from a crown vic. I search the junk yard for about an hour and in the end it was the perfect solution. Getting rid of the fusible link garbage really felt good. I took every wire I didn't need out the harness and in the end that was a lot. Here is what I started with......

Taking off all the old tape and loom is probably the worst/messiest part. After I had everything removed and triple checked, I test fitted it to the car - gave it power and crossed my fingers. EVERYTHING worked, light, heater, turn signals, wipers, gauges, etc so I was very relieved. To anyone doing something like this just take your time and take good notes, don't rush! Only thing left is to cut the starter wire, reverse switch and fan to length and add the connectors. Here is the test fitting and semi-finished harness.......

Car is in the Body Shop now getting some work on the A-pillars, all the holes i'm not using under hood welded shut and filled, and base + clear paint under hood and pillars. I had to go there today and remove the windshield. Windshield shop wanted to charge me $125 to take out and reinstall the windshield so, I went to Harbor Freight and got a trim removal tool and windshield removal tool for about $15 and took it out myself. I got a bunch of misc under hood parts being powder coated by Rob right now also. I will be picking up a new manual rack and coupler and tranny mount from a buddy in VA this week too. I hope to have the engine in the car this month. Hopefully things start moving really fast. more to come
    Carroll

already said it on the other site but very nice work!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Nice work, damn,

What are you going to use for engine management? What goal are you aiming for?

Thanks DJ. I was leaning towards running twin Walbros, one in-tank and one external. I may look at running the in-tank Walbro with the 044 external. That should provide all the fuel i'll ever need. Anyone running a external Walbro, how loud/quite is it?
    I am running that setup, its quiet, can't even hear the external at all.

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

That looks great Carroll. With my 12+ years of vehilcle wiring exprience it still took me close to a week and a half to finish mine. You're right when you say the best thing to do is take your time and take lots of notes. Fuse box looks like it tucks in there just nice. If you look close at my pictures you'll notice a mod I did to my fuse box that you will have to do to yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    already said it on the other site but very nice work!
    Thanks, it should look really good when i'm done!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Nice work, damn,

What are you going to use for engine management? What goal are you aiming for?
    Thanks Simon, now send my paypal! What time did Pat run his last time out? yeah, faster than that for the "Grudge Match"!

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    That looks great Carroll. With my 12+ years of vehilcle wiring exprience it still took me close to a week and a half to finish mine. You're right when you say the best thing to do is take your time and take lots of notes. Fuse box looks like it tucks in there just nice. If you look close at my pictures you'll notice a mod I did to my fuse box that you will have to do to yours too.
    Thanks DJ! I'll get that FORD logo off there soon enough
    Carroll

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looking good!

This car deserves it's own project log

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Been making progress and hording parts. I got the wiring harness done and I will say that that was the most un-fun thing I have ever done to a car but, I'm so glad I did it. I owe a big thanks to DJ for answering some questions and his excel sheet, Jeremy aka iturbo for the L-body wiring diagram and Brian for answering some more questions and helping me trace some down circuits. I ended up using the same power distribution box that DJ did from a crown vic. I search the junk yard for about an hour and in the end it was the perfect solution. Getting rid of the fusible link garbage really felt good. I took every wire I didn't need out the harness and in the end that was a lot. Here is what I started with......

Taking off all the old tape and loom is probably the worst/messiest part. After I had everything removed and triple checked, I test fitted it to the car - gave it power and crossed my fingers. EVERYTHING worked, light, heater, turn signals, wipers, gauges, etc so I was very relieved. To anyone doing something like this just take your time and take good notes, don't rush! Only thing left is to cut the starter wire, reverse switch and fan to length and add the connectors. Here is the test fitting and semi-finished harness.......

Car is in the Body Shop now getting some work on the A-pillars, all the holes i'm not using under hood welded shut and filled, and base + clear paint under hood and pillars. I had to go there today and remove the windshield. Windshield shop wanted to charge me $125 to take out and reinstall the windshield so, I went to Harbor Freight and got a trim removal tool and windshield removal tool for about $15 and took it out myself. I got a bunch of misc under hood parts being powder coated by Rob right now also. I will be picking up a new manual rack and coupler and tranny mount from a buddy in VA this week too. I hope to have the engine in the car this month. Hopefully things start moving really fast. more to come
    So what electronics are you using? The harness looks like it's still L-body logic module/power module.

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    The harness looks like it's still L-body logic module/power module.
    how's that?! There are no wire for the PM or the LM that goes through the passenger side firewall as seen in the first pic. Did we talk about this through PM when we did the injector buy?
    Carroll

What time did Pat run his last time out? yeah, faster than that for the "Grudge Match"!

*Yawn*

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo2point2's Avatar

Looking good How long will it be out at the body shop?

-Brian Slowe
    87 Shadow "BSX"
    8.58 @ 162

86 GLHT
    10.62 @ 130

05 SRT4
    12.1 @ ???.??

06 Ram 3500

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

how's that?! There are no wire for the PM or the LM that goes through the passenger side firewall as seen in the first pic. Did we talk about this through PM when we did the injector buy?
    Ya ya I was obviously looking at the wrong pic!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast