Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cables backwards?

Garrett booster

Cables backwards?

Hi, I'm having a problem.
    Replaced the cables to my 89 ES Spirit. Manual conversion. No idea what the tranny came out of. I know its a A-555.

I would like to know what way the cables go... From the tranny bracket under the hood to the shifter-bracket.

Re: Cables backwards?

I'm not 100% positive, but aren't the ends of the two different in some sort of way?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

boostaholic

idk about 555s but on my 568 one cable end is bigger than the other

the bigger cable end is to big to fit through the hole int he bracket so the hole it belongs in has a slot

Quote Originally Posted by thefitisgay View Post
    the bigger cable end is to big to fit through the hole int he bracket so the hole it belongs in has a slot
    Right, that's what I was kinda thinking too...that the holes in the bracket are different sizes.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

The under-the-hood connections 1 ball "socket" is 1/2" and the other is 3/4". the sockets in the cabin is both the same. So that makes it a "Which one does this go to" game.

boostaholic

this still isnt making sense to me...

the 1/2" hole goes to the 1/2" ball

turbo addict

i remember on the 555 they come into the car through the same hole unlike the 568 it has 2 different holes also on he 568 the longer cable is on the passenger side if that helps at all might be the same way

boostaholic

do you have the bushings for the cables?

Garrett booster

Bushings?

boostaholic

they go in the cable ends to take up the slack between the hole and the pin on the shifter levers

Garrett booster

Theres no pins on the cable ends.

boostaholic

this is a joke i quit

turbo addict

what the hell?
    these are bushings
    http://www.fwdperformance.com/store/...&ProductID=347

boostaholic

The cables can only go one one way at the transmission. One has a ball socket, the other is an eyelet.

As for the shifter side, I think it is possible to get them backwards. The cable with the eyelet is the selector cable and should move when you move the shifter fore/aft. The one with the socket should move when you go left/right, obviously.

boostaholic

Oh wait, do you not have that setup? Do it this way then:

The cable that makes the lever on the transmission go in/out is the crossover cable and should move when the shifter goes left/right. The other one goes on the other part of the shifter, obviously.

Garrett booster

The cable that makes the lever on the transmission go in/out is the crossover cable
    - On the tranny the mechanism on is like a piston in/out. Thats what it sounds like your saying. (Forgive me, I don't work on these cars often. =\)
    - In my case I tried putting the cable on the x-over portion of the shifter, but I had to push the shifter all the way forward just to get the cable onto the ball stud. I'm thinking the cable I go is too short =\
    - The first method I had the cables installed, when I had the cables in the bracket in the cabin, neither cable would reach the shifter... They both reach the shifter now that I switched them around, however. The Left to Right only reachs when I pull the shifter over into Reverse position.
    - This tranny is the one where the reverse gear is the to the left of 1st. So it has the little "Lift" mechanism to move over a little farther to the left.

this is a joke i quit
    Because I'm a newb when it comes to these cars... You quit?? ... :golfclap:

do you have the bushings for the cables?
    (After research) The shifter has some old bushings on there. The studs under the hood do not.

Both cables I have are the ball-stud design on both sides. While the difference is only the under the hood side. The insides seem like they can be mixed up easily. So just as I am clear here...

On the tranny, the shifting mechanism... The Cross-Over is the part that moves from Front to Back of the car. And the Selector is the part that moves left to right?

This is the same as the shifter?
    Last edited by samishii23; 01-30-2010 at 02:36 PM.

turbo addict

On the shifter cross-over is left to right, and selector is fore to aft...cross-over pushes the lever on the trans in and out and selector rotates it.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by samishii23 View Post
    Because I'm a newb when it comes to these cars... You quit?? ... :golfclap:
    nah dude you dont take the advice given to you youre either someone wasting time or a retard

Garrett booster

Well I'm trying to learn as much about the the spirits as I can, since I have a 2nd bigger project spirit to finish after I get the cables to work on this one. If I can that is.

So far it appears that the cables may be too short? This I do not understand... But I've got to check and make sure the cables are right per t3rse directions. Then check my other cable... =\ If not this spirit will be appearing on the 4-Sale section unless someone can offer me a solution I don't see.

turbo addict

dude those commnets are way out of line.... im sure he would have taken the advice but there really wasnt anything informative given, it was all uncertainty from them, until the 2 most recent posts or so by t3rse and ianground... u havin a bad day or soemthing? lol it was only a 1/16 of a page and u up and left and said some nasty ----.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast