Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ostrich emulator (and xenocron) FTW - read if you need a cal

Hybrid booster

Talking ostrich emulator (and xenocron) FTW - read if you need a cal

picked up an ostrich 2.0 a couple weeks back. I have been having FAR too much fun playing with it since. before more time passes, I wanted to tell you all about the great experience I recently had buying it at xenocron - that is moates' primary distributor, and they are close enough for me to call them local. if you look at their site xenocron.com, you might notice they focus on hondas...true, but doesn't keep the owner chris from wanting to work on our cars. he digs on the grassroots scene, and told me he is up for simple services some of us need, like only burning a chip or socketing a board.
    wish I'd have found him last year; he is quick to handle his business professionally, and when I told him about guys previously waiting 2-3 months for custom calibrated ECU's - he asked why, like anyone normal (meaning outside of TM circles). he was more than helpful in getting me up and running as soon as I asked for help. BIG thanks to him for getting me up to speed quickly. drop him an email or call if you guys need anything along those lines, you won't be disappointed.

on to the ostrich itself. what a sick tuning tool, on any level. my relevant setup info:
    first gen g-body
    2.5 common block
    +20 injectors
    LC1 wideband
    stock T2 with big hot side (.63 turbine, 3" TU swingvalve)
    3" turbo back, muffler only
    GLHS MP II LM (previously)

I have a fair amount to say about this combination (pre-ostrich). firstly, this is a relatively fresh shortblock I put together last year. I had previously been running the MP GLHS LM with a 2.2 for I don't remember how many years, with great satisfaction. when I put the 2.5 in, I have to be honest - even after playing with both base timing, and a little cam timing, I wasn't as satisfied as I was with the 2.2 and this LM. I read probably every thread about the combination, and gotta say I think most of the posts I found neglected to mention the change in street manners. the performance out of boost was less than optimal, and with the need to back base timing down so much because of the mismatched timing tables, mpg definitely suffered, as did idle quality and throttle response (to a small, but noticeable extent). in-boost performance was great of course, but honestly - since I put this setup together, I spend MUCH less time in boost than before because it really isn't necessary for better than average acceleration.

then came the ostrich. for a long time I had been playing with what calibration I'd start off with, had everything relevant from the code repository, but honestly still like the MP II calibration as a starting point because I'm familiar with its behavior, and with the correct timing tables I figured it would be a relatively strong combination.
    I've really only had to make a few changes to find the sweet spot - the timing tables of course, but fuel was actually (still) spot on, and is still showing rich up around 17 psi. it won't be long before I go 3-bar MAP at this point, it will be so simple to step up.
    that is where the ostrich fits in best - I've been slowly accumulating parts as I go along, trying to focus now on the technical items now to squeeze power and efficiency out with each step. although I just grabbed the ostrich, it would have perfectly fit in earlier with my agenda of constant upgrades, however occasional. it will also work great for popping in to my second gen project, when I take the first gen off the road for paint and want similar benefits. for anyone doing semi-serious mods, the ostrich is money very well spent. not that I ever did, but I cannot imagine having to suffer thru a single day of waiting for someone to tweak my calibration for me. the ostrich fills that gap perfect.

final word on the overall combination, as it is set up now, is absolutely awesome. I'm an old-timer, have been around since before the boards - I knew what to expect. objectively as possible - with just slightly beyond a stock setup, from a dead stop I am definitely past the limits of traction under acceleration, and at relatively low boost levels (not full throttle). the scalded dog description fits again, but freakin SERIOUSLY now. full boost is something I've needed rarely, with the corrected timing tables now I'm sure it is even less necessary. the tires I'm on gotta last thru the winter! snap off the line is HUGELY improved with the timing tables corrected, this is definitely where the combination with the previous cal suffered. the setup clearly exploits the better torque curve of the 2.5 down low. there is absolutely no question as it sits if I wanted I could easily tap low 13's. I'm sure pending the 3-bar MAP and a good set of tires, and a couple of mouse clicks - this setup will be good for well beyond that. I don't know if I'll take this project that far, but I am ecstatic knowing whatever I do to it, correcting the tune is now only a few minutes from being done!
    Last edited by x.Gen; 01-22-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: ostrich emulator (and xenocron) FTW - read if you need a cal

Yeah, we know, they rock,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

it took a good bit of reading to find out for myself, simon. your posts were a good portion of it!

now that I'm using it, wondering why no one took the hammer to my head sooner. this should be done right next to opening the exhaust up. figured another voice would get the message out to the next one reading about it. I actually got to speak with Craig some, also. they are all good people to deal with, makes the purchase that much better knowing it. what an awesome mod, if I had a clue any sooner...

I hear you, took me too long to start playing, makes life so much easier,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

i want one bad. first thing i'll buy with my lottery winnings.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    i want one bad. first thing i'll buy with my lottery winnings.
    Lottery? http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?products_id=169

They're only like $175. If people would stop buying stupid crap and quit trying to get 10 of everything, people could get this system and tune their cars. I've seen people shell out more for a complete one piece intake they didn't need! Sheesh, just get it already.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Heck if we got a group buy for these, they'd be like $150 per. We should get 10 or more people to do it so we can. I'll front the money if everyone will pay.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

i'm in. always wanted one to use on my 300zxtt also. don't tell my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Heck if we got a group buy for these, they'd be like $150 per. We should get 10 or more people to do it so we can. I'll front the money if everyone will pay.
    Start a group buy,

I also recommend getting the chip extender and ZIF socket at the same time,

Garrett booster

Lottery? http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?products_id=169

They're only like $175. If people would stop buying stupid crap and quit trying to get 10 of everything, people could get this system and tune their cars. I've seen people shell out more for a complete one piece intake they didn't need! Sheesh, just get it already.
    I would spend the money, but I want to learn more on how to reprogram my logic module before I start buy things I don't know how to use. I have read a little about Dcal and Moparchem, but still haven't found out what items I need to purchase. Unless this is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Start a group buy,

I also recommend getting the chip extender and ZIF socket at the same time,
    Comes with an 18" extender, but those who don't have socketed modules would need the ZIF socket. I'll start a group buy but I'm not shelling out a dime unless we get at least 10 and paid up front. I can't be held holding $400+ worth these things, unfortunately.

Comes with an 18" extender, but those who don't have socketed modules would need the ZIF socket. I'll start a group buy but I'm not shelling out a dime unless we get at least 10 and paid up front. I can't be held holding $400+ worth these things, unfortunately.
    That's why you do a group buy, durrrrrrrrrr,

You need the ZIF socket for the chip extender, NOT the cable. That way, you can do a chip and leave it external,

does the tunerpro software handle our cals or do we need an interface of some sort to be developed that translates it into the proper format? or do we need our OWN software?

turbo addict

does the tunerpro software handle our cals or do we need an interface of some sort to be developed that translates it into the proper format? or do we need our OWN software?
    I have had no luck getting are cals to run on tunerpro so far.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I'm in for the group buy. I've wanted to get this for a while now but have been putting it off. I've got the $150 cash burning a hole in my pocket. Let me know if you get the 10.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I'm in for the group buy. I've wanted to get this for a while now but have been putting it off. I've got the $150 cash burning a hole in my pocket. Let me know if you get the 10.

A.J.
    Wrong thread.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46245

We're at 13, you'd be 14.

Lightbulb Re: ostrich emulator (and xenocron) FTW - read if you need a cal

There's a program called "Emutility" that loads your .bin file into the Ostrich. It has a function that monitors the cal for changes (made with D-Cal and saved) and will do this while you engine is running. You just make your change on D-Cal, save the file (with the same name) and it will automatically load into the Ostrich.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Wrong thread.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46245

We're at 13, you'd be 14.
    Thanks. I'll go there.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by mock_glh View Post
    There's a program called "Emutility" that loads your .bin file into the Ostrich. It has a function that monitors the cal for changes (made with D-Cal and saved) and will do this while you engine is running. You just make your change on D-Cal, save the file (with the same name) and it will automatically load into the Ostrich.
    i'm talking more about the logging/display of data.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

i'm talking more about the logging/display of data.
    (this first line is a rehash of what mock_glh already said... should have finished reading his post, sry)
    From my understanding you could edit a cal with mptuner/dcal and use emutility to auto-load the cal into the ostrich. Basically once emutility sees the file update it loads it into the ostrich. I dug up the win32 call to monitor a directory and check the files after the call. I had a test program lying around somewhere if you want it That test program is essentially the same thing emutility does. I think it was going to be for Rob's flashable smecs, but I'm not sure if he's going to need it.

As far as address tracing is concerned we would probably have to roll something ourselves. That would be one bad---- addition to mptuner though I'm totally down for helping with that one. Moates actually has a whole section devoted to developers including support for their hardware. I'd check out their help site and see what you can find. It's probably pretty straightforward.

There's been plenty of talk about using tunerpro with our cals, but I don't think anyone has gotten down to helping Mark support it. There was a whole thread somewhere around here about that. I basically explained the table format but I'm not sure if vprtech ever communicated with Mark to have tunerpro updated.
    Last edited by risen; 01-31-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: replay...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast