Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: early 04

early 04

I needed to replace my rotted out 94 1500. it's been a damn good truck but the frame is getting bad.
    just bought a 04 2500 2WD longbed quad cab 5.9l . Was a work truck in Texas so its a little beat up but only has 118,000 miles on it. so far it's getting about 24 MPG empty. dose the word heavy duty on the tail gate mean anything? I know very little about the diesel trucks and would like to know more. whats the good side bad side of the early 04?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: early 04

Congrats on the new truck!

'04 should be a good year, no converters on it like '05? 118k on a CTD.. its nto even broken in yet

The DR body *should* be more duable with rust than the older BR... but being a TX truck, its prolly not undercoated, look for any bare metal (from sandblastig from dirt roads) inside the bedsides or floor that may need to be painted/protected. My White Dakota was from AZ and the previous owner said when he got it the floor was shiny!

Some years, 2500 got "Heavy Duty" badges to help distinguish from a 1500.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

thanks, now i need to upgrade my trailer.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Sounds like a nice truck Rob. All 3/4 and 1 ton trucks got the "Heavy Duty" badges on the tailgate, they were bigger in 2003-2004 than later years but like JT said it's just denoting that it's more than just a 1/2 ton.

My 05 rusted through on the bedsides already and was fixed under warranty, but it has always been a salt-belt truck. There are some holes in the inner fenders lips you can get a straw through and spray some oil into the seam to help prevent this.

On my 05 you can feel the seat frame through the foam, which gets annoying on longer trips, fix for that is too add more foam under the seat.

I think you'll really come to like the bigger truck, the brakes alone are worth the change, much more confident with a trailer.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Mom Says I'm Special. :-) Turbo Mopar Staff Subliminal's Avatar

Wow...that much rusting on a 5 year old truck...that sucks! I think that'd make me really angry.

Of course (knock on wood) my 91 has no rust at the moment...and I plan to keep it that way.
    Damon

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty badass speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohiorob View Post
    I needed to replace my rotted out 94 1500. it's been a damn good truck but the frame is getting bad.
    just bought a 04 2500 2WD longbed quad cab 5.9l . Was a work truck in Texas so its a little beat up but only has 118,000 miles on it. so far it's getting about 24 MPG empty. dose the word heavy duty on the tail gate mean anything? I know very little about the diesel trucks and would like to know more. whats the good side bad side of the early 04?
    auto or 6speed? 24mpg, is that hand calculated or from the overhead display? Oh and the diesel forums are full of tards...
    2022 Viper runs 9s

turbo addict

Nice upgrade Rob! I think they changed the seats after 04. I have heard a few guys complain about sitting on the seat frame in the later trucks but mine are great.

New truck, lookin for a new trailer......................................you chasin Reeves agin Rob?

Dave
    the seats are nice and comfy. Diesel, 4 doors and big brakes was my requirement.

DodgeZ
    it's a auto and i used the over head display for my MPG. I know it's not accurate. I can dream can't I

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    New truck, lookin for a new trailer......................................you chasin Reeves agin Rob?
    and it's the same color too.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo3Iroc View Post
    Nice upgrade Rob! I think they changed the seats after 04. I have heard a few guys complain about sitting on the seat frame in the later trucks but mine are great.
    06's did. I agree they do kind of suck in the 06's.

Dave
    the seats are nice and comfy. Diesel, 4 doors and big brakes was my requirement.
    Just look at the size of the rear end in that think. HUGE. with that said they aren't cheap, change the fluid in it.

DodgeZ
    it's a auto and i used the over head display for my MPG. I know it's not accurate. I can dream can't I
    I am pretty sure you'll have a 48RE trans which is what everyone wants or upgrades specs to. You may have a 47re but I am pretty sure all 04 got the 48re. There were SO and HO, standard output and high output. I know there were different parts for the SO/HO and mid year changes.

If I were you I'd look for an upgraded TC. You don't need one of those 1500dollar triple disc ones either. Just a good brand heavy duty one. Then get a shift kit, clean out the valve body. There are a couple solenoids you may want to replace while you are in there. The stock TC tend to shed metal that clogs the solenoids up. If you don't have any shifting issues you can prolly just clean them out. My 05 had issues not wanting to shift in to 1st at stops. 48re with 110,000 miles on it.

Take a look at these sites, I'd give them a call and ask what they recommend
    http://www.transmissionsone.com/
    http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...ds_s/16124.htm

Also take a look here.
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ge...me-04-5-a.html

The overhead is pretty close to being right if the stock tires are used and no chip. A lot of time the tires aren't factory size so the overhead and even hand calculated aren't right. I see around 16 towing and 21-22 unloaded on the highway running 70mph. Have a smarty and tow on the 30hp setting.

Here is a good programmer
    http://mads-electronics.com/mads-ele...y-S-06-POD.htm
    170hp gain with just a flash upgraded TC needed
    2022 Viper runs 9s

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post

Just look at the size of the rear end in that think. HUGE. with that said they aren't cheap, change the fluid in it.

I am pretty sure you'll have a 48RE trans which is what everyone wants or upgrades specs to. You may have a 47re but I am pretty sure all 04 got the 48re. There were SO and HO, standard output and high output. I know there were different parts for the SO/HO and mid year changes.

If I were you I'd look for an upgraded TC. You don't need one of those 1500dollar triple disc ones either. Just a good brand heavy duty one. Then get a shift kit, clean out the valve body. There are a couple solenoids you may want to replace while you are in there. The stock TC tend to shed metal that clogs the solenoids up. If you don't have any shifting issues you can prolly just clean them out. My 05 had issues not wanting to shift in to 1st at stops. 48re with 110,000 miles on it.

Also take a look here.

The overhead is pretty close to being right if the stock tires are used and no chip. A lot of time the tires aren't factory size so the overhead and even hand calculated aren't right. I see around 16 towing and 21-22 unloaded on the highway running 70mph. Have a smarty and tow on the 30hp setting.

03 was the only year for HO and SO.04 they where all HO.When I bought my 03 in Nov of 02 the Auto with the HO wasnt even available yet.All 04 Auto's have a 48RE.48Re are hit or miss some last some dont.The 05 I drove had 240k on it before it let go(Convertor).The remans after it last maybe 30k.Finally my old boss spent the money and had a built one put in it.

Having driven quite a few of those generation trucks the 03-04.5 is the best ones IMO.You got the commonrail and NV5600 6spd.I didnt care at all for the G56 6spd or the New 6.7.I never had a chance to drive a 6.7 with the 6spd auto though.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Sounds like a nice truck Rob. All 3/4 and 1 ton trucks got the "Heavy Duty" badges on the tailgate, they were bigger in 2003-2004 than later years but like JT said it's just denoting that it's more than just a 1/2 ton.

My 05 rusted through on the bedsides already and was fixed under warranty, but it has always been a salt-belt truck. There are some holes in the inner fenders lips you can get a straw through and spray some oil into the seam to help prevent this.

On my 05 you can feel the seat frame through the foam, which gets annoying on longer trips, fix for that is too add more foam under the seat.

I think you'll really come to like the bigger truck, the brakes alone are worth the change, much more confident with a trailer.
    Dave you should see my seat with 221k on it.It has a hole where the seat frame rubbed through.My biggest complaint about the truck is the dam seats.I want some SRT-10 seats so badly.

Thats crazy about your bed side.Only rust on mine is on the inside lip of the tailgate.I guess it helps I dont drive mine in the snow at all.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    03 was the only year for HO and SO.04 they where all HO.When I bought my 03 in Nov of 02 the Auto with the HO wasnt even available yet.All 04 Auto's have a 48RE.48Re are hit or miss some last some dont.The 05 I drove had 240k on it before it let go(Convertor).The remans after it last maybe 30k.Finally my old boss spent the money and had a built one put in it.

Having driven quite a few of those generation trucks the 03-04.5 is the best ones IMO.You got the commonrail and NV5600 6spd.I didnt care at all for the G56 6spd or the New 6.7.I never had a chance to drive a 6.7 with the 6spd auto though.
    The first half of '04 they still offered the S.O. and H.O. engines. The second half of the '04 model year is when the switch to the 325hp/600tq motor was fased in.

Also, 2003 and early '04's don't have a converter in the exhaust, once the 325hp motor started being used it got a converter in the exhaust.

The 6.7 and auto is a really nice combination, you can manually up and downshift thru the gears with a button on the shift lever, and the truck comes with a factory exhaust brake. Makes slowing down with a heavy load behind you not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post

Also take a look here.

Thanks a Ton. very good info there. I'm going to park it for a few month. pull the tranny pan , under coat the truck real good and get it ready for at least 10 years of service.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Evilancer View Post
    The first half of '04 they still offered the S.O. and H.O. engines. The second half of the '04 model year is when the switch to the 325hp/600tq motor was fased in.

Also, 2003 and early '04's don't have a converter in the exhaust, once the 325hp motor started being used it got a converter in the exhaust.

The 6.7 and auto is a really nice combination, you can manually up and downshift thru the gears with a button on the shift lever, and the truck comes with a factory exhaust brake. Makes slowing down with a heavy load behind you not a big deal.

The Manual 6.7 I drove had the exhaust brake too.It worked great but i hated it other wise.I have 221k on my 03,put 200k on a 05 2wd 1 ton auto,130k on a 05 4wd 1 Ton auto,and 50k or so on a 05 4wd SRW 1 ton G56 6spd.Who knows how many miles I put on the 99 7.3 I ton SRW Ford.I also put a few miles on a 6.0 Dually Ford.Truck rode great,was very comfortable but ran like crap.

turbo addict

nice truck
    Time for a banks 6 gun . I love mine i gained 2-3 mpg and upped the power i can get 20-22 mpg while i tow a 35' 5th wheel on the flats

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    nice truck
    Time for a banks 6 gun . I love mine i gained 2-3 mpg and upped the power i can get 20-22 mpg while i tow a 35' 5th wheel on the flats
    2022 Viper runs 9s

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

What's BS is having to scroll 3 times down your screen to read someone's monster BS flag
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Quote Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
    what's bs is having to scroll 3 times down your screen to read someone's monster bs flag
    yeah
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast